Who's On First?

One day i will be able to repay this site with some good advice of my own until then here is my newest problem....I have the job and they want me to start on 11/16 i am the second farang they have hired there is about 3,000 employee's for this company. They faxed me the letter of intent. Also they said they will do the work visa once i am there. What should i do about the visa? come on roundtrip? or apply for a tourist visa and get the one-way?? all so confusing! or is it me! They reimburse for the flight but i have no plans to be coming back anytime soon! Also does anyone know the time frame for application in real time?

Use the employment letter to apply for a non-immigrant Class B visa - any version of this visa will do. From many locations, you can obtain this visa by mailing your passport, sponsor letter, and application form to a Thai diplomatic post. You did not mention your location.

If your employer knows what they are doing,they can get you a work permit within about 10 days after you touch down. Realistically, it will probably take them 2-3 weeks. If a month has passed, and you do not have work permit, something is wrong - they are deceiving you.

When you arrive with a Class B visa, you will receive a 90-day entry permit. After you have been here 60 days, you are eligible to apply for an extended entry permit - provided that you have a work permit by then.

When you come to Thailand, be sure to bring documentary evidence of a University degree, if you have one.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

I am from Florida i believe there is a honorary consulate in Coral Gables, Florida.  Also why do i need to bring a university degree?  if my employment was based purely on experience in my field?  Thanks

To get the work permit your employer has to show that there are no suitably qualified Thais for the job.

Your experience plus any paperwork to back it up, including a degree, all helps smooth the application.

Thailand only wants you, if you have something to bring to the table.

Much like other nations, including the US.

I am from Florida i believe there is a honorary consulate in Coral Gables, Florida.  Also why do i need to bring a university degree?  if my employment was based purely on experience in my field?  Thanks

Get that Consul in Coral Gables to certify a copy of your testamur under his seal. A copy duly certified by a Thai Consul will usually be accepted. Check with the employer to be certain.

you haven't led me wrong yet! i called the consulate in Miami and she said just to bring the letter with letterhead, with the employment intent, indicating that they will execute the work permit within 90 days, a passport picture, passport and 50$. Come anyday but this election day and she will issue a non-immigrant B visa good for 90 days. It seemed so easy almost too easy much worrying about nothing i suppose! thanks sooner or later i will have something to contribute back!

you haven't led me wrong yet! i called the consulate in Miami and she said just to bring the letter with letterhead, with the employment intent, indicating that they will execute the work permit within 90 days, a passport picture, passport and 50$.  Come anyday but this election day and she will issue a non-immigrant B visa good for 90 days.  It seemed so easy almost too easy much worrying about nothing i suppose!  thanks sooner or later i will have something to contribute back!

Well done. Your chance to contribute will come. :o

• 2 weeks later...

as a point of reference i had a problem recieving my contract it had a delivery mixup so i could not apply promptly for the non immg B visa but i talked to the consulate in the Miami area and they told me just to fed ex the passport, 2 pics, the contract one money order for 50$ and another for 20$ to for expediting quickly, plus a paid overnight envelope. They said they would recieve it and provcess it the same day and turn it around with me recieving the visa the next day. Well true to their word i sent on monday at 3pm and recieved it on weds at 930am. Absolutely brillant! I was always under the impression it was much more difficult! So all the one ticket problems fade away! Thought i would plug the consulate here and also Dr. Pat! for all the help better than a shot of jack!

as a point of reference i had a problem recieving my contract it had a delivery mixup so i could not apply promptly for the non immg B visa but i talked to the consulate in the Miami area and they told me just to fed ex the passport, 2 pics, the contract one money order for 50$ and another for 20$ to for expediting quickly, plus a paid overnight envelope.  They said they would recieve it and provcess it the same day and turn it around with me recieving the visa the next day.  Well true to their word i sent on monday at 3pm and recieved it on weds at 930am.  Absolutely brillant!  I was always under the impression it was much more difficult! So all the one ticket problems fade away!  Thought i would plug the consulate here and also Dr. Pat! for all the help better than a shot of jack!

Glad that it worked out for you. Good luck with the move. :o