Warning To Fitness Thailand Customers

heybruce

If you work-out at Fitness Thailand, do not trust their lockers or the locks they sell from the office. I went there for a 90 minute work-out this evening and locked my bag in one of their lockers using a lock I purchased from them. When I got back to the locker room the locker was locked but the bag missing. I suspect that there is a limited number of different keys for this type of lock and somebody had a key that fit my lock. I wasn't foolish enough to have anything critical in my bag, but still lost a cheap mobile phone, nice watch, motorbike registration, my international drivers license, about 1500 baht, and, most worrying, a spare set of keys to my condo and papers that give the address.

Fortunately I kept my keys with me so I rushed home and won't leave until I can get the locks changed. After that I'll file a police report, though I don't expect much good to come from that. Fitness Thailand keeps track of everyone who entered in the less than two hours between locking up my bag and discovering it missing, but I doubt if that will help much either. So I'm now looking forward to the hassle of replacing lost items, changing locks and getting papers replaced. I'll also get a much better lock, not from Fitness Thailand, and adopt a minimalist approact to what I carry to the gym.

It is quite simple for a locksmith to make a skeleton key that fits all of a certain type of lock. I would think that the staff would be most likely to have one of these. :o

Yeah, the cleaning staff leads my list of suspects simply because they spend a lot of time in the locker room and would have had the opportunity. However having suspicions does not retrieve my stuff.