Thaksin Shinawatra Wants To Change Manchester City's Club Crest To Remind Him Of Home In Thailand. Is This A Good Idea?

monkfish

As mentioned above , hardly a traditional old design. Pompey and Wigan in the Prem have got new crests this year- my own club added the blue to ours after the club was taken over by Icelanders. Some moaned but we've changed it several times before- was the City not the club crest anyway.

He is as mad as a retarded chihuahua but if all goes well on the pitch will soon be forgotten- Man U fans don't do much moaning re the Glaziers these days. Odd that

if i was a Man City fan I would demand for him to go.

He is obviously a control freak, and now he is trying to change a historical logo.

Historical ?? Isn't it only a few years old. If the rumours are right and his court cases are doing a U turn back on him it may well be the new logo will be a square face fronted by vertical bars.Imagine how many shirt sales that would generate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thumbs up for, THAKSIN, up his assssss, and many more to come.

Buying a soccer team proves he is mentally deficient.

Next will be RED WHITE BLUE strip.........<deleted>

Like always for Thaksin, dosh buys his loyalist friends,

Edited by Zpete

• 2 weeks later...

If he gets convicted he will fail the Fit and Proper Persons Test as applied to directors of football clubs.

from the FA

"An individual convicted of rather than alleged to have committed any one of a range of offences not limited to but including fraud, theft, dishonesty and deception either in the UK or abroad would likely fail the Fit and Proper Persons Test (FAPPT)."

If he gets convicted he will fail the Fit and Proper Persons Test as applied to directors of football clubs.

from the FA

"(FAPPT)."

Why do they say LIKELY in this test???

You mean you can be "An individual convicted of rather than alleged to have committed any one of a range of offences not limited to but including fraud, theft, dishonesty and deception either in the UK or abroad would LIKELY fail the Fit and Proper Persons Test "

Any more around in the uk they SHOULD have failed???

A modern description of a fan (short for fanatic) of any Premier League side?

A person of low intelligence who pays an excessive portion of his income to watch his 'local' team which is comprised of players whose names he cannot pronounce and who come from countries whose location he could not indicate in an atlas.

I pray that all those who chose to ignore the moral issues when Thaksin bought his way into MCFC get their comeuppance. If his nibs is found guilty, what are the chances of the Thai Government asking MCFC for their money back? Or would the contemporary set of political crooks assume ownership instead?

from the FA

"(FAPPT)."

Why do they say LIKELY in this test???

You mean you can be "An individual convicted of rather than alleged to have committed any one of a range of offences not limited to but including fraud, theft, dishonesty and deception either in the UK or abroad would LIKELY fail the Fit and Proper Persons Test "

Any more around in the uk they SHOULD have failed???

Mohammed al Fayed? Sam Hamman? Alan Sugar? I doubt that the Chelsea owner's CV would bear too much close attention.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/...98487-20607654/

Manchester City's billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra is changing the club's crest... to remind him of home in Thailand.

It means City's golden eagle could be replaced by an elephant or even a mythical half-bird half-human garuda, which are both national symbols in Thailand.

"No one can believe that a chairman can just come in and change our badge," said a Man City source. "What about the club's tradition? The fans aren't going to like this one bit. Just because somebody owns the club does not give them the right to come in and change everything."

Yet Shinawatra, Thailand's former prime minister, believes he can do whatever he wants after buying the club for £82million and giving new manager Mark Hughes a £200m transfer chest to match the success of bitter rivals Manchester United.

Designers have already been drafted in to work on the new crest by Shinawatra, who is now living in exile in Britain after being ousted in a military coup two years ago.

The current eagle design comes from the official badge of the City of Manchester, while the three diagonal stripes signify Manchester's three rivers - the Medlock, Irwell and the Irk. But the three stars which also make up the design are purely decorative.

Shinawatra, 58, who's known as Frank in Manchester, believes a new Orientalstyle club crest will make Manchester City more popular in Thailand where there is a huge market in Premiership club shirts.

He is determined to make City one of England's big four clubs and has the money to do it, even though £1billion of his assets are frozen in Thailand. He enjoys a flamboyant lifestyle in the UK with a five-bedroom, £4.5million mansion in Weybridge, Surrey, and he also has a apartment in London, where he answers to the title "Your Excellency".

As well as football, his favourite activities include golf and karaoke, performing with Sarunrat Visutthithada, known as Lydia, queen of Thai R&B.

The club source added: "Who knows what the badge will be in the end, but if it's reflecting Shinawatra it could be a Thai man dressed in golf gear singing karaoke. It's ridiculous."

I agree, people will not be happy about it, but if he owns it outright, surely he is entitled to make those changes if he wishes. :o

Well, it's in the Sunday Mirror so it must be true........

Personally I don't believe all the "he want players to wai him, change the crest etc etc.."

Seems like a smear campaign, rightly deserved or not, and love him or hate him, this guy has business acumen, and I don't think he'd walk into another country and try to enforce changes which he must know will have a negative impact, and I'm sure his numerous advisers would warn him also.

Personally I don't think the purchase should have been allowed, at least until his allegations were cleared up, but it was, and I guess money talks... just like a few other, ok maybe only Abramovich, dirty money claims...

I think this is a wonderful idea. There's nothing more awe inspiring than 15,000 outraged, drunken ManCity fans rampaging through the city streets.

Sure. Put a freaking picture of his wife on there while you're at it..

Edited by OldenAtwoody

...a £200m transfer chest to match the success of bitter rivals Manchester United...

:o I wonder when he realised that he'd bought the wrong club.

That reminds me of a song we used to sing......................

'and George Weah saaaaaaid, I thought you played in Red, are you havin a laugh, are you havin a laugh....'

:D

redrus

I posted this before ina similar topic but here it goes.

ManCityAfterFrank.jpg

The only thing wrong is the ship in the picture doesn't have a Jolly Roger on it.

...and a Toyota Landcruiser engine stuck off the back....!

redrus

Its all bad news right now for City.

I have just read a report that says Thaksin is short of liquid cash, the money he spent to buy the club was by way of loans that right now he cannot pay back......there was talk in this report that City could be in administration within weeks !! Even Mark Hughes could be gone if City are forced into a "Fire Sale" of players.

Source: www.bahtsold.com

I really hope it does not come to that, but in the knowledge that he WILL be found guilty then he will HAVE to go...

Then what happens?

I bet Mark Hughes has just gone a fetching shade of green :o

Hope Thaksin's problems don't affect the club.

Cheers

Even the Man City Site has fairly commented that he may be disqualified by FA if he is convicted in absentia. This seems very likely given current noises in Thailand and a great way to for those in Thailand to chip away at his "face" with impunity.