Tattoist In Phuket

adgroom

I'm currently living in Phuket and keep seeing amazing art work tattoo's on Thai people. I'm interested in getting one but am just wary of where to go, for health reasons etc. Does anyone have any recommendations of tattoo artists around Phuket? also, do local thai people have any problems with farangs getting traditional thai art work tattoo's? I don't really have any idea what to get but I think some of them look great. Any help would be great thanks!

Well it depends on whether you want a machine or traditional Thai style tatt done with the bamboo stick. I posted a link recently but it was taken down as evidently you cannot post websites. No idea why.

I have been getting some bamboo stick style tattooing all week. I saw some terrible cover up work just a few days ago so you must choose your artist carefully.

First off, there are two good men in Patong, Chai at Chai tattoo in the O-top market, he is very good as is Am from Siam tattoo, I just saw some of his fresh work in person a few days ago and it was really good. For a machine tatt go to either of them. Chai is very good at shading and he has an extensive photo album you can look at. Siam tattoo also has an impressive album you can see. He is next to Soi Gonzo in the small soi where the gold shop is.

I know Chai but I dunno Siam Tattoo, Chai is very friendly and down to earth. There are some dodgy bastards but obviously I'm not going to name them.

My good friend Sorn does bamboo stick style and he is very good as well, he has been doing some freehand work on my back all week straight out of his head.

I'd post his or my number but I don't think that is even allowed, if you want to find him you'll need to come to surin beach when the weather is good as we will be there after 12pm most days. We sit opposite the Surin fashion point tailor shop so you cannot miss it.

I can assure you a reasonable price but it depends on what you want. Sorn can go to your room to work and he has some really excellent inks at present (I know as I bought them for him LOL). The bamboo stick is portable and as he pays no rents he can offer good prices. Most tattooists charge more for the stick as it takes so much more time.

The main difference between machine tatts and bamboo is the machine is much quicker but requires down time and healing. The stick is slower but doesn't scar or break the skin heavily so you can swim immediately and you just need a bit of vaseline.

You don't bleed with the stick either and there is no scabbing, just a layer of skin peels a few days later.

I'd invite you for a look at Sorn in action but I am not sure if you can post numbers? I am going to his house tommorow at Cherng Talay. You can try 087886-3192 which is a girl called Oy, ask for Andrew if this number appears.

Happy hunting otherwise........... :o

Let me add Em / Am at Siam (entrance to Soi Easy).. Really really good machine work, had done 10 maybe more of my mates not one unhappy in any way. Cover ups, fixes, freehand sleeveing, all the tough stuff.

Jimmy Wong (legendary Bangkok Tattooist) recently had a Tatt done by Am.. says a lot when a world renowned artist gets you do his own work !!

Personally I would be very leary of the non machine guys.. seen really messy 'yants' and other freehand stuff done. Not a comment on the guy mentioned above, I dont know him, just a generalization.

Edited by LivinLOS

I think Am/Ann from siam tattoo in soi easy is by far the best..i have a full sleeve and a half sleeve from him and soon start on my back next week...he does great work, also has a degree in arts so he is one excellent artist aswell...i have sent over 25 friends to get workt here over the years and not one of them could complain.

And yes Jimmy Wong comes to phuket regularly to get Am to do work on him..

I got some pretty extensive work done by Am and will be going to the next tattoo expo with him to show his work.

Personally I would be very leary of the non machine guys.. seen really messy 'yants' and other freehand stuff done. Not a comment on the guy mentioned above, I dont know him, just a generalization.

##Yes the Sak Yantra tattoos are messy and superstitious nonsense to me. I would agree in general to avoid the bamboo stick people unless you find a good one. Too many of them are druggies or jailbirds rather than genuine artists.

Interesting a guy came to Surin Beach just this week who had a tattoo done by Am from Siam Tattoo, it looked fine but he chose to get more done by hand as did his girlfriend. I never asked why but he got some free hand tribal done and he called back to get some more done a few days later. Maybe because of the price, I dunno what Am charges.

I think it all depends on what you actually want and are prepared to pay. I like the stick simply because of the traditional factor and the fact my skin is very sensitive and I worry about the scarring factor.

I'm currently living in Phuket and keep seeing amazing art work tattoo's on Thai people. I'm interested in getting one but am just wary of where to go, for health reasons etc. Does anyone have any recommendations of tattoo artists around Phuket? also, do local thai people have any problems with farangs getting traditional thai art work tattoo's? I don't really have any idea what to get but I think some of them look great. Any help would be great thanks!

I read in Time magazine they are starting to see longterm effects of metals (copper, magnesium) from tatoos causing health problems.

Anyone heard about this?

Well there is probably no more heavy metal in tattoo ink as there is in water or any number of other products. Life in time will kill you anyway and oxygen itself is what corrodes and destroys even metal if left outside for long enough.

I'll leave it all up to the power that got me here. Whatever and wherever that is LOL.

Here's a tip for healing a tattoo quickly...use preparation-H pile ointment. Works wonders, very little scabbing and the scabs you do get are very flat and fall off after less than a week. Dont recommend using vaseline after you have left the studio even though the artist will use a lot on you while doing the tattoo. Also, if using moisturiser creams to help heal, avoid those with alcohol in them as they can fade the tattoo.