Good French, Italian Or German Bread In Cm?

aquablue

I have not been unhappy about what there is at Rimping bake shops.

All in all, it is quite remarkable how good and broadly available bread is around here! Hooray! Because I think the rice is rather tasteless. I understand why that is --- the custom is to put practically anything with it so a "flat" flavor makes a lot of sense --- but i do miss tasty rice which I can't get as easily as tasty bread!

Oh my goodness! i promised that I would never pot on a "best hamburger" thread!" I am undone!

• Like 1

Ditto Carrefour for the brown or wholegrain breads. Rimping near Airport Plaza for theirs likewise - also rye. Personally, I think looking for a good crusty baguette here is pretty much a lost cause - the humidity makes them tough in minutes (might be possible to rescue one if you have an oven at home).

• Like 1

You might try the Kasim (SP) Market located very close to the intersection of Chiang Moi Rd. and Ratchawong Rd. They make their own breads and seem to be very popular with local restaurants that serve western foods.

Have tried most of the major bread sellers and really cant find a good crusty French stick or baguette, crust loaf, rye or even a good scone.

Tried Tops (sour dough is just ok ) , Tesco, UN and a few others.

Any tips???

TOPS and TESCO are 100% crap when it comes to REAL bread (dont forget, TESCO is a British chain !).

carrefour, as has been mentioned by others, has good bread, and a large variety as well. plenty of dark bread, too, if u like the german/austrian/swiss bread-style

There's an Italian neighbour of mine who makes his own bread. I believe he also sells to Rimping. His bakery is called Il Fornaio (which I don't think is the same company as Whimsy mentioned above in Post #2).

He operates out of Nonghoy (not too far from the Holiday Inn) and bakes a wide variety of fresh breads daily. From personal experience, they're very tasty. His mate (another Italian guy) makes his own cheeses so put the two together and voila, or whatever the Italian equivalent is.

I'm hungry now....

Cheers,

Hill16

• Like 1

Five Loaves Bakery makes my favourite white bread. I buy three loaves at a time and it it freezes well. Find this small shop at soi 6, Chang Kien Road (FM/66 on The Big Map*) or....

Drive out of town on Huay Kaew Road. Turn right at Canal Road, first left (50m) and then right at the T junction (30m). After about 400 metres (keeping left when in doubt) you'll pass a new market building followed by a row of town houses on the left and the shop is on the left at corner of the entrance to a place called The Knowlege Tree.

Fresh bread seems to be ready at about 12.30.

*Shame on you if you don't have at least one of these - get them from Gekko Books amongest other places.

• Like 1

Joe Bakery, Fresh German bread, pastries(on demand) cheese, meats and other items, some of which he supplies to places like Rimping.

If you drive down the Canal Rd from Mae Hia & Night Safari area, travel over the Nong Kway junction and straight on for about 4 km's until you reach a large temple on the right side. His bakery which opens Tue - Sun is open 13:00 - 18:00 with fresh bakes on Tuesday & Friday.

Visit Google Maps here ... Please remember to use the scroll & zoom function to see the map in greater detail.

Ally

• Like 2

There's an Italian neighbour of mine who makes his own bread. I believe he also sells to Rimping. His bakery is called Il Fornaio (which I don't think is the same company as Whimsy mentioned above in Post #2).

He operates out of Nonghoy (not too far from the Holiday Inn) and bakes a wide variety of fresh breads daily. From personal experience, they're very tasty. His mate (another Italian guy) makes his own cheeses so put the two together and voila, or whatever the Italian equivalent is.

I'm hungry now....

Cheers,

Hill16

Thanks for that, Can you give more directions to find this place?

• Like 1

Joe Bakery, Fresh German bread, pastries(on demand) cheese, meats and other items, some of which he supplies to places like Rimping.

If you drive down the Canal Rd from Mae Hia & Night Safari area, travel over the Nong Kway junction and straight on for about 4 km's until you reach a large temple on the right side. His bakery which opens Tue - Sun is open 13:00 - 18:00 with fresh bakes on Tuesday & Friday.

Visit Google Maps here ... Please remember to use the scroll & zoom function to see the map in greater detail.

Ally

Has he got those German bread rolls I love? I forget what they're called but they have sea/rock salt in the crust and lye is an ingredient somehow. Sounds horrible, tastes delicious.

When I asked him about some large rolls in his shop, which certainly sound like those you describe, he told me that they are what are typically eaten when drinking beer.

So yes... a shelf full of them and a fridge full of beer too!

Ally

When I asked him about some large rolls in his shop, which certainly sound like those you describe, he told me that they are what are typically eaten when drinking beer.

So yes... a shelf full of them and a fridge full of beer too!

Ally

Thanks Ally. I shall pay him a visit on Tuesday.

Edited by lannarebirth

Italian Bakery at Nong Hoi

And since I just discovered how to link to Google Maps: Five Loaves Bakery (see previous post)

Edited by Greenside

Italian Bakery at Nong Hoi

And since I just discovered how to link to Google Maps: Five Loaves Bakery (see previous post)

Spot on Greenside. Coming from the city, take a left just after the PTT petrol station. You will see Nid Sound (a car radio place, I think) on the same corner but on your right as you turn. Drive to the end of the road (about 350 metres). Take a left (no other option really). About 50 metres along the left hand side is the Italian bakery. You can't miss it. Big Italian tricolour on the wall/side of house. Not sure how his English is but the wife's is very good.

Good luck.

French bread with an omelette and melted French cheese and fresh Vietnamese coffee out on the street corner for about 30 cents. I MISS those breakfasts! :D

Yey for colonialism. At least the french variety... :o

I remember there were amazing baguettes and amazing coffee everywhere in Laos...

• 13 years later...

Can anyone give me an information about Jo's bakery- I'm his longtime customer. Living in the remote area of Pang Mapha - 4 hours by car to CM - I ordered all time a 10kg package of good German bread and stored it in our icebox.

Yesterday I failed to contact him, per I-Net ---> not working; by mobile and netline ----> no answer, not working.

Thank you for your support in advance.