Rangers

Jockstar

I know that most of the football fans on here are English. But for anyone who cares. Glasgow Rangers beat Celtic.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Rangers end Celtic's Old Firm win streak

GLASGOW, Nov 10 (Reuters) - Rangers came from behind to beat Celtic 2-1 at home in a Scottish League Cup quarter-final on Wednesday, ending Celtic's run of seven consecutive wins in Old Firm matches.

The Scottish champions looked on course for an eighth victory in a row over their Glasgow rivals when John Hartson headed home in the 66th minute at Ibrox, but erratic play helped Rangers to mount a fightback.

Dado Prso equalised with five minutes left after Celtic had squandered possession before substitute Shota Arveladze fired the winner on the counter attack 10 minutes into extra-time.

It was the first victory by Rangers over Celtic since the League Cup final in March 2003, and their first at Ibrox since December 2002.

"I felt we showed some fantastic fighting spirit to come back," Rangers manager Alex McLeish told reporters. "The home fans spurred us on and we got some great commitment from the players.

"I thought we gave a good account of ourselves and we definitely deserved to edge it. With performances like that, we can now go on and win this competition."

Rangers, who have won the League Cup a record 23 times, dominated possession in the opening half as visiting goalkeeper David Marshall saved from Nacho Novo and Zurab Khizanishvili volleyed wide.

Celtic were fortunate to survive but an unmarked Hartson wasted the best chance of the half when he headed down and over from Alan Thompson's free-kick.

The visitors were unfortunate not to score when Stanislav Varga hit the bar on 64 minutes.

Two minutes later, Hartson put Celtic ahead with his header following a Thompson corner.

Prso levelled when Celtic lost possession, the Croatian striker scoring after Marshall failed to hold Hamed Namouchi's powerful drive on 85 minutes.

Rangers almost won it in the dying seconds when Agathe cleared the ball off the line from Jean-Alain Boumsong's header, but Arveladze settled matters in extra time when he rifled Fernando Ricksen's pass into the net.

Hearts claimed their place in the last four on Wednesday with a 3-1 win at Dunfermline Athletic.

Billy Mehmet's 60th-minute equaliser cancelled out Andy Webster's 33rd-minute opener, but Hearts went through courtesy of Paul Hartley's penalty on 66 minutes and a third from Joe Hamill six minutes from time.

They join Motherwell in Thursday's semi-final draw after their 5-0 drubbing of holders Livingston while Dundee United beat last season's losing finalists Hibernian 2-1 after extra-time in Tuesday's other quarter-final.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that most of the football fans on here are English. But for anyone who cares. Glasgow Rangers beat Celtic.

Who? :D

55555 just kidding

Explorer :wub:

Err...Uhmm... You mean Soccer, right?

In that case, I don't care...... :o

Thats not "Football"...

THIS is Football! -_-

giantslede11132004.jpg

Go Giants!! :D

(Hope Kurt Warner doesn't get sacked again like last week agaist the Bears.... :D )

(Hey, I know I'm going to get flak for this from all the non Americans here, I'm sure....Oh well,if so, as President George said, "Bring it on" :D )

55555 just kidding

Explorer :wub:

Thats not "Football"...

THIS is Football! -_-

giantslede11132004.jpg

(Hope Kurt Warner doesn't get sacked again like last week agaist the Bears.... :D )

(Hey, I know I'm going to get flak for this from all the non Americans here, I'm sure....Oh well,if so, as President George said, "Bring it on" :D )

What a stupid game? Rugby is a harder game without all the protection.

55555 just kidding

Explorer :(

Thats not "Football"...

THIS is Football! :)

giantslede11132004.jpg

(Hey, I know I'm going to get flak for this from all the non Americans here, I'm sure....Oh well,if so, as President George said, "Bring it on" :wub: )

....More than a hundred million fans here don't think it's a stupid game... :D

Uhhh...What's Rugby? Never heard of it... Is that like soccer? -_-

BTW, It is possible to play OUR Football without any protection... :)

55555 just kidding

Explorer :(

Thats not "Football"...

THIS is Football! :)

giantslede11132004.jpg

(Hey, I know I'm going to get flak for this from all the non Americans here, I'm sure....Oh well,if so, as President George said, "Bring it on" :wub: )

Uhhh...What's Rugby? Never heard of it... Is that like soccer? -_-

BTW, It is possible to play OUR Football without any protection... :)

So why dont they?

• 3 weeks later...

....More than a hundred million fans here don't think it's a stupid game.

er yes and how many Americans voted for Bush??

Dispite what you may read in The Nation or The Guardian, It is possible to be both a Democrat and a ( American ) football fan.... :o

I just wish the season was longer.... :D

55555 just kidding

Explorer :D

In that case, I don't care...... :D

Thats not "Football"...

THIS is Football! :D

giantslede11132004.jpg

(Hope Kurt Warner doesn't get sacked again like last week agaist the Bears.... )

Uhhh...What's Rugby? Never heard of it... Is that like soccer? :o

BTW, It is possible to play OUR Football without any protection... :D

So why dont they?

You don't usually have to use any protection when playing friendly back yard "Touch" football here. Only professional and college/Highschool players use protection, to prevent injuries far more serious than being kicked in the shins..... :D

Not been a good week for the Gers. But we're still in Europe and only 1 point behind Celtic. So need to panic. Heres this weekends match report for you Thai bairn.

Inverness CT 1-1 Rangers: FT Report

PA

Rangers passed up an opportunity to regain the lead in the race for the Bank of Scotland Premier League title with a lacklustre performance in a 1-1 draw against Inverness.

The afternoon was pleasing for new Caley manager Craig Brewster - a former player under Gers boss Alex McLeish at Hibernian - who took his place in the Pittodrie dug-out his club have borrowed for home games this season for the first time.

The loss of two points was not the only blow Rangers suffered either as star defender Jean-Alain Boumsong was forced off injured in the first half.

Rangers had tasted defeat for the first time in 17 games in the UEFA Cup at Alkmaar on Thursday night when the home side hit them with an early goal and this time Caley struck even more promptly.

Just three minutes were on the clock when Caley, fresh from clearing a corner, netted through Graham Bayne to complete an impressive counter-attack.

Richie Hart supplied the cross from the right and Bayne, having lost his marker, arrived to guide it past Stefan Klos on the volley from eight yards out to net his fourth goal of the season.

Brewster had opted to begin without top scorer Barry Wilson in the expectation of an afternoon when defensive qualities would be needed and his players carried out the rookie boss' instructions to perfection for most of the 90 minutes.

Threatening moments from the away side were only intermittent and Dado Prso, having beaten three men with some excellent control, found he could not beat former Rangers goalkeeper Mark Brown from a tight angle after all that good work.

Corner after corner was repelled by the Caley defence, who were using Juanjo as a regular outlet.

The tricky Spaniard was fouled twice in quick succession by full debutant Steven Smith, the 19-year-old having been handed his first start to avoid Michael Ball using up all his games before a £500,000 payment to Everton is triggered.

With Peter Lovenkrands out with a hamstring injury Hamed Namouchi was restored to the starting line-up and Stephen Hughes given a rare run-out in midfield to give Alex Rae a rest.

Rae was on the pitch on the half-hour mark however as Rangers had to regroup following the loss of Boumsong. The Frenchman had taken a knock in a challenge and the effects were all too obvious when Bayne was able to out-pace him and fire in a shot that Klos did well to get behind.

Bob Malcolm switched to centre-back as the first 45 minutes ended tamely - to Caley's satisfaction.

McLeish opted to make another change at the break with 18-year-old Bob Davidson coming on for his second first-team stint in place of Namouchi.

Within six minutes Rangers were level when Hughes threaded a pass through the Caley backline to allow Prso to canter goalwards and beat Brown at his near post with a well-weighted low finish.

Davidson then headed over as Rangers looked more energetic than at any point in the previous 45 minutes.

Having taken his season goal tally into double figures, Prso then fired over on the turn from eight yards before Caley took off Roy McBain, who had returned to the side following a back injury, and sent on Richard Hastings in the 64th minute.

Caley could have been back ahead three minutes later when Juanjo sent Liam Keogh into a shooting position on the left of the box. But Klos had come out to meet him and was able to make a vital block with his legs.

The referee had enjoyed a controversy-free afternoon but nevertheless had a big decision to make in the 69th minute when Prso, set free by Malcolm's through-ball, went down in the box under Darren Dods' challenge.

The Croatian beat the turf in frustration when he realised no penalty had been awarded, while Dods took the opportunity to yell at him to get up and carry on with the game.

Bayne was booked in the 75th minute for blocking a Fernando Ricksen free-kick when he was not 10 yards away but the Dutchman's second attempt was blocked by the same player as the minutes began to tick away for the title chasers.

Nacho Novo had been very quiet but was close to providing a late winner when he cut inside from the left and curled an effort just wide.

Wilson came on for Caley with nine minutes remaining, replacing Hart, who had just been booked for a foul on Smith.

Another chance came Novo's way with two minutes remaining but the Spaniard, who had previously fired against Brown's legs from an offside position, could only repeat the same action when set up in front of goal by Prso.

It was to prove his side's last opportunity of the afternoon.

You don't  usually have to use any protection when playing friendly back yard  "Touch" football here. Only professional  and college/Highschool players use protection,  to prevent  injuries far more serious than being kicked in the shins.....  :o

Back in the eighties (I think) Channel 4 ran American football games, culminating in the super bowl. With the size of those players I can well imagine they'd need some padding. I can still remember Theissman's (Redskin quarterback) lower leg spinning almost 360 degrees as the bloke hit him like a good 'un and wrecked his knee. He looked like a shrimp yet he was, I think, 5'10".

Very good series it was, explaining the rules behind this odd game "those people" play.

Top of the league again. though this could change today if Celtic win.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Rangers 3-0 Dundee: FT Report

PA

Rangers moved ahead of champions Celtic at the top of the Bank of Scotland Premier League thanks to a 3-0 Ibrox victory over Dundee.

A goal each in the first four minutes from Nacho Novo and Dado Prso laid the foundations for the win, which was completed after the break by a Bob Malcolm strike which was as impressive as it was rare.

Alex McLeish's men must wait until Sunday to find out whether the Hoops can overturn their two-point advantage via victory on Dunfermline's plastic pitch.

Dundee boss Jim Duffy's worries are of a very different nature, however - because this result, coupled with neighbours Dundee United's comprehensive win against Kilmarnock, puts the Dees in the drop zone.

McLeish put last week's failure to beat Inverness down to tiredness following a heavy schedule, and his players certainly looked rejuvenated as Rangers hit Dundee with two early goals.

Prso fired over on the volley in the very first minute - but within seconds Jonay Hernandez brought down Novo after his ex-Dens Park colleague had slipped past him.

Novo converted the third-minute spot-kick himself to bring his goal tally to 15 since leaving Dundee in the summer.

He was involved in the next goal by latching on to Fernando Ricksen's long ball and firing in a cross which Prso took down at the back post and slotted past Derek Soutar, having first taken a clever touch to elude a would-be blocker.

The Rangers fans must have been expecting a goal-fest. But it soon became apparent the home side's position was not as secure as the explosive start had suggested.

Jean-Alain Boumsong was rested to help him recover from a dead leg in time for Wednesday's UEFA Cup group decider with Auxerre, Dragan Mladenovic was given a rare start in midfield so that Alex Rae could rest his ageing limbs, and both Gregory Vignal and Shota Arveladze were back from injury.

All that added up to an opportunity for Dundee to get a grip on the game, and when the half-time whistle went, Duffy's side might easily have been ahead.

The Dees passed up two good chances in a 60-second spell midway through the first half, with Steve Lovell and Brent Sancho the guilty men.

Lovell fired straight at Stefan Klos after being set up by Fabian Caballero, and Sancho made the same error with a header from a delivery on the left from no further than five yards out.

Youngster Stephen McNally saved his side at the other end with a fine penalty-box tackle on Prso as the Croatian shaped to shoot, and Soutar then denied him twice in quick succession - a block with his leg first and then a catch from a header.

But all that good work was wasted by Lovell and then Neil Barrett, as Vignal's lack of match sharpness could have twice cost his side.

First the Frenchman mis-placed a pass back towards his own goal, only for Lovell to fire wide with only Klos to beat - and then he allowed Caballero to dispossess him a minute before the break in a similar position on the left.

The striker's low ball across goal was met in front of goal by Barrett, but the Englishman could only fire wide with Klos exposed.

Young Dundee centre-back Callum McDonald made a fine block to deny Prso shortly after the restart.

But the reprieve was short-lived as Malcolm, playing centre-back instead of his new midfield role, netted a rare goal in the 50th minute.

His first attempt was blocked by a defender, but second time round he lashed the ball past Soutar with an unstoppable rising drive.

Another penalty shout came and went after Ricksen fired in a shot which hit Barry Smith on an arm, and Arveladze could only hit the side-netting after taking on and beating his man on the left of the box.

The Georgian was replaced by Rae in the 64th minute, Caballero coming of four minutes later to give Glen Larsen a run-out for Dundee.

Larsen almost pulled a goal back, but saw his header cleared off the line by Hamed Namouchi, who just seconds earlier had seen McNally do exactly that to stop him deflecting home a Ricksen corner with his head.

There was still time for Prso to have a goal chalked off for offside, Rae and Mladenovic to blast good chances over and Dundee to give the final few minutes to Brazilian Alex Credeira in place of Lovell.

Is it still Protestants v. Catholics with those teams?

No mate things have changed. its not like that anymore. to a certian extent for some its still the sme. But its 2004 and i've no time for their bigotied bullshit. My best mate is a Celtic supporter

Another win and back to 1 point in Celtics favour. Heres thsi weeks report if anyone is interested.

Kilmarnock 0-1 Rangers: FT Report

PA

Rangers moved to within a point of leaders Celtic in the race for the Premier League title thanks to a 1-0 win at Kilmarnock.

Shota Arveladze's 16th-minute strike proved to be the only one of a well-balanced encounter which saw the Ayrshire side fail to move any nearer to the top six sides.

The Georgian is likely to be leaving Ibrox in the summer and, with Nacho Novo suspended for his part in the last Old Firm encounter, it was a timely return to the limelight for the frontman.

But the icy nature of the Rugby Park surface added an extra dimension to this encounter.

However, both sides appeared determined to play as much football as possible even if the quality and quantity was inevitably diminished.

The first clear-cut chance of the game, in the 17th minute, resulted in the opening goal and Killie centre-back Simon Ford was at the heart of it.

The former Grimsby man sent a header away from the danger zone but only as far as the marauding Alan Hutton on the right flank.

The Scotland Under-21 international, who had replaced Zura Khizanishvili at right-back following the Georgian's disastrous midweek UEFA Cup display against Auxerre, fired in a cross that Ford was unable to head away.

And Arveladze, having quickly brought the ball under control, fired past the exposed Graeme Smith.

It was only his sixth goal of a campaign which has been truncated by injury and erratic form but Arveladze might have doubled that lead just before the break when a little flick from Gregory Vignal looked to have bought him some space in a crowded box.

But Smith, who was standing in for injured first-choice keeper Alan Combe, had anticipated and was there first to collect.

Within seconds, Killie might have found the net themselves at the other end when teenager Steven Naismith set Kris Boyd up in front of goal only for the striker to miss his kick completely.

Killie have high hopes for the 18-year-old Naismith, who was full of activity down the left. He also has bite to his game, and Fernando Ricksen was not amused when the youngster dumped him on the turf on more than one occasion.

Referee Dougie McDonald then booked Colin Nish, who, having already clattered goalkeeper Stefan Klos, fouled Vignal.

Nish had been justifiably aggrieved before that 36th-minute indiscretion after Danny Invincibile, having been sent away by Boyd, opted to fire at Klos from distance when his team-mate was free on the right and screaming for a pass.

Killie boosted their attacking options in the second half by replacing midfielder Gary McDonald with striker Gary Wales, who took up a position in the centre anyway.

Rangers had been caught out from their own corners in games against Inverness and Auxerre, but almost inflicted that misery on Killie when Arveladze sent Prso cantering away down the inside right channel.

However, Prso opted to shoot early, allowing Smith to make a comfortable tip-round.

Alex Rae, who had been recalled along with Dragan Mladenovic in a revamped central midfield, fired a long-ranger just wide before the next Ricksen-Naismith encounter saw the Dutchman appealing in vain for a penalty.

Naismith was replaced by Stephen Murray just before the hour mark but it was fellow rookie Smith who continued to catch the eye.

He made a fine parry to deny a Ricksen effort at a time when Rangers had piled men forward, but he needed Ford to clear off the line after Prso had retrieved the loose ball and crossed to the back post.

Hamed Namouchi and Jean-Alain Boumsong both went for it, with the former heading goalwards before being flattened by the latter.

Namouchi had only himself to blame straight after, however, when he fired wide from only eight yards out and was replaced in the 67th minute by Steven Thompson, who was making his comeback from an ankle injury sustained against Celtic more than a month ago.

The gangly Nish had always been an unlikely-looking right winger and was replaced with more than 15 minutes to go by Rhian Dodds.

A second chance came Boyd's way but, again, he was unable to take it.

Invincibile nicked the ball off Vignal but Boyd, having negotiated his way round Andrews, could only fire at Klos.

Rae was booked for a foul on Dodds but Boyd could only prove it was not his day with the most wayward of free-kicks.

Chris Burke made his long-awaited return when he replaced Prso for the final minutes, having recovered from the virus that had seen him excluded for almost two months.

Murray was booked late on for a foul on Hutton.

The lead cut back to 1 point again. Another great result

Rangers 4-1 Motherwell: FT Report

PA

Rangers striker Nacho Novo grabbed a double in the 4-1 win over Motherwell to help cut Celtic's lead at the top of the Bank of Scotland Premier League table to a single point again.

The Spaniard struck twice in the opening 15 minutes at Ibrox to bring his tally for the season to 17 - level with Celtic striker John Hartson.

The visitors had hauled themselves back into the game four minutes after the break through Scott McDonald.

But Shota Arveladze scored for the second week running in the 52nd minute, while Steven Thompson's strike killed off any hopes of a revival for Motherwell.

Novo had missed last week's win over Kilmarnock through suspension and was determined to make the most of his return to the starting line-up before the second part of his ban kicks in again on New Year's Day.

But Rangers defender Jean-Alain Boumsong was forced to withdraw from the game after pulling a hamstring during the warm-up, meaning Zurab Khizanishvili was thrown into the action at the last minute.

But the Ibrox side quickly set about showing they were not too affected by the absence of the France international, who has been the subject of a rejected bid by Newcastle, and they were ahead in the third minute.

Fernando Ricksen flighted a cross into the box and Novo wriggled between the static Martyn Corrigan and Stephen Craigan to collect the ball and send a delightful flick into the back of the net from six yards.

Rangers were enjoying all the pressure early in the game and they could have added to that tally when Dado Prso went on a surging run, skipping past Craigan before eventually being hauled down on the edge of the box by David Partridge.

Gregory Vignal stepped up for the free-kick and the resultant effort was powerful enough, but he was just off-target and the ball drifted wide of the upright.

Rangers did not have to wait too long for their second goal, however, and they doubled their advantage after 15 minutes as Novo grabbed his second of the day.

Ricksen's head-flick found Arveladze and he fed the ball through to Novo to send a curling effort past stand-in Motherwell goalkeeper Barry John Corr for his second of the day.

Motherwell tried to haul themselves back into the game before the interval and McDonald - back in the team after a back injury - came closest with a point-blank shot which fell just over the crossbar.

But Novo then squandered a great opportunity to record a hat-trick.

Vignal squared the ball across the face of goal into the path of the tiny hitman but he mis-kicked under pressure from Steven Hammell.

Motherwell were out of the blocks quickly in the second half and pulled a goal back just four minutes after the re-start.

McDonald collected the ball inside the box and created space for himself before sending a curling effort past the fully outstretched Stefan Klos into the top corner of the net.

But Rangers stretched their lead again in the 53rd minute.

This time, Novo was the provider when he set up Arveladze, who swept home at the near post leaving Corr with little chance.

Vignal then claimed he had been brought down in the box by Paul Quinn, an incident which seemed more justified in earning the on-loan Liverpool defender a yellow card than a previous 31st-minute caution for diving.

Arveladze was clearly hungry for more goals and embarked on a weaving run before trying his luck with a shot on goal, but he was denied by a superb piece of goalkeeping from Corr.

The Motherwell goalkeeper was in impressive form again a few minutes later.

Novo threaded the ball through to Ricksen as he burst into the box, but Corr had raced off his line to block the Dutchman's strike.

Steven Thompson replaced Prso with 15 minutes remaining and had the final say in the game when he cleverly turned Partridge in the area before firing past Corr with just four minutes to go.

points dropped. with Celtic winning 2-1. So 3 points in it now.

Dundee Utd 1-1 Rangers: FT Report

PA

Substitute Hamed Namouchi pounced in the dying seconds to earn Rangers a dramatic 1-1 draw at Dundee United and move them back to the top of the Bank of Scotland Premier League on goal difference.

The Light Blues looked set to suffer a major blow when David McCracken gave SPL bottom club United an 11th-minute lead.

But Namouchi scored in the dying seconds to leave the home side disappointed despite moving off the foot of the table.

The Ibrox club appeared unaffected by the sale of defender Jean-Alain Boumsong to Newcastle as they made a confident start at Tannadice.

Shota Arveladze should have opened the scoring after just three minutes when he pounced on some hesitant defending by United.

Dado Prso chipped the ball into the area and McCracken allowed the Georgian to win the ball, but he could only head past the upright from eight yards out.

But it was United who got opening goal in the 11th minute as they exploited gaps in the Rangers defence.

Derek McInnes swung in an inviting cross which McCracken headed past Stefan Klos and into the corner.

Dado Prso should have done better in the 16th minute when Wilson's slip gave him a clean route on goal, but he could not get the ball from under his feet and United were relieved to clear.

Rangers got behind the home defence again in the 22nd minute when Thompson headed on Bob Malcolm's cross and Rae got beyond the defender, but he flicked the ball over before being clattered by goalkeeper Tony Bullock.

More desperate defending prevented Alan Archibald from testing Klos before the home side had a second goal ruled out for offside.

Grant Brebner fed the overlapping Barry Robson and his effort was swept into the net from close range by Jim McIntyre.

Both sets of players were in danger of losing their cool as Thompson and Paul Ritchie were booked by referee Mike McCurry after clashing for the second time.

Marvin Andrews was having a mixed day following the loss of his defensive partner, but he saved his side in the 38th minute when he got ahead of McIntyre.

Arveladze had a goal ruled out for offside, before Bullock denied Rae the equaliser on the stroke of half-time with a crucial stop with his feet.

United continued to push forward confidently and Klos had to dive to his right to save McInnes' long-range drive.

More heroics from the German goalkeeper and poor finishing saved Rangers moments later when Klos kept out Jim McIntyre's point-blank effort, before Brebner put the rebound wide.

That woke up the visitors and Ritchie had to react at the back post to put Arveladze's drive across the face of the goal behind for a corner.

Rangers started to pile on the pressure, though their final ball was letting them down, while McIntyre was booked for a trip on Zura Khizanishvili.

Prso seemed certain to pull the sides level in the 62nd minute but somehow completely missed his header as Fernando Ricksen's corner flew past him.

James Grady was also booked after bringing down Arveladze, before McLeish made a change in the 65th minute, with Namouchi replacing the Georgian.

Robson should have doubled United's lead moments later when Grady threaded a pass through, but he fired straight at the advancing Klos.

Rangers responded instantly, but Bullock denied them by keeping out Namouchi's low effort and Rae was unable to turn in the rebound after good work from Prso.

The game continued to flow from one end to the other and Klos was called upon to turn over Archibald's speculative long-range drive in the 71st minute.

But United had appeals for a penalty rejected moments later as they claimed Gregory Vignal had kept Robson's corner out with his hand.

At the other end, Bullock had to throw himself to his right to prevent Ricksen's free-kick from nestling in the corner of the net.

The United goalkeeper produced more heroics with a minute remaining as he acrobatically turned over Prso's effort from Vignal's ball.

But there was more drama moments later as Klos left his own area for Ricksen's corner and Namouchi turned the ball over the line from close range.