What's Going On At The Riverside ?

Sathip2008

I passed near The Riverside yesterday and I noticed that the left side of the restaurant is gone ... :o Anybody knows what's going on ?

When I first moved to Chiang Mai the Riverside was as it is today - a small but very popular restaurant with live music.

Next door was (I think) 'Katies Kitchen' and it was very quiet most nights. The Riverside eventually took over that place and in doing so more than doubled it's capacity and practically filled it up each night from day one. A great place, with great atmosphere.

This is hearsay....

Apparently, they had a good relationship with their landlords and everything was fine until the children took over and decided that they wanted the building to do something(?) of their own. I think they also own what was a hospital ,opposite, and is now an up-market Spa/Wellnes centre.

The Riverside is now back to it's original size but has opened up a new restaurant in the old building opposite. 'The Waterfall' is it's name - I think.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Kevin's right the landlord did not want to renew the lease as they wish to develop the property. Very unfortunate for Riverside but that's life.

I went there last week with some visitors to town. We had a meal by the river. It was packed but only took 15mins to get a table while we had a drink. After we went to check out the other side across the road.

It is a house conversion and they have done an excellent job. Deck patio leading to a bar with a stage and a raised level behind the bar where people sit and can watch the band over the top of the bar. Upstairs there are lots of private style rooms with a couple of balconies for smokers.

There is then a lovely courtyard at the back with tables beside a big waterfall and another bar. I was very impressed and would have no problem going there for a meal and drink despite the lack of a river view.