• Up through Nakhon Sawan
    • Up through Suphan Buri
    • Up through Kanchan Buri
    • Up through Lop Buri
    • Up through Chaiyaphum
    • Up through Korat
  2. 2. Travel Time

• Bring it on, I can do it in one day!
    • Give my poor butt a break, let's stop for a night.
    • I know of a good hotel along the route that I voted for.
    • The route I voted for passes by my house and I'm offering a place for the riders to stay at.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to read that you have an interesting alternative to Tak, as the highway is indeed deadly dull.

If you can include Umphang in your itinerary, then you will not regret it.

Thi Lo Su has wooden decking of a very slight inclining levels, so no big difficulty of 20-30 mins.

Hiking would not be necessary, unless you were into making trips more onerous than they need be.

However what I did omit [tho its in the link] was that we were not allowed to ride our bikes

to the car park and had hire a 4by4 for the 40 minute drive there.

Do try & meet up with likeminded Gt-Rider bikers @ the Kafe when you get to CNX.

BTW the run time from CNX to BKK can, at a push, be as little as six and a half hours

should some need to make their own way back quickly.

It sounds as though you are trying to accommodate as many objectives,

as personal needs & wishes - an admirabel goal but not an easy task to achieve.

Good luck & have fun.

40 days out people! Nobody else is interested?

Definitely going:

• BigBikeBKK {Kawaski Ninja 250}
  • Bard {Kawasaki Ninja 250}
  • Meridian007 {Honda Steed 600}
  • thaicbr {Honda CBR 250RR}
  • prestburypark {Honda CBR 150R}
  • dave_boo {Kawasaki Ninja 250}

Possibly going (and possible conflicts):

• RusticCharm (sounded like a definitely though) {Ducati Monster?}
  • LivinLOS (family in town) {Bandit 4 or Honda Fireblade 900}
  • Crow Boy (schedule) {unknown?}

Oh, and a bump to the top of this sub forum :o

Edited by dave_boo

• 3 weeks later...
ok just over 20 days to go. lets start getting some more info on this eg: possible meeting places and times etc.

Allan

Beat me to a posting. I've been without internet for a few days though, so that's my excuse.

I was thinking though, for those that are planning on going to LekCDI on the 20th, we're already going to meet up. If we leave out the morning of the 21st, a Friday, we can meet up at say Seacon Square or anywhere on Petchaburi road. As we go along through Bangkok, we can collect more riders.

I was also thinking about instead of sleeping at Lan Sak we could push onto Mae Sot. Waking up early, we could do the Umphang run in the morning, make it back to Mae Sot collecting the misses and press on to Chiang Mai. That's some 757 kilometers, or if we maintain 75 km/h some 10 hours in the saddle. If we keep the pace at 100 km/h, it's only some 7 1/2 hours.

Hmm, while I'm not gonna be riding with ya 100 kph will start to fatigue the 150 cc dudes. The bikes can take it, but it will fatigue them more at that speed than a bigger platform based bike.

For me when I'm riding 80 kph is the median and benchmark speed for a chunk of the trip.

Also, does anyone having someone else who's interested in going up to Chiang Mai but doesn't want to ride a motorcycle up there? The wife isn't too keen about having to drive by herself, so I would like some competent person to drive my truck; my wife could relieve them.

:D Ummm... might be an interesting trip ? ... :o

Also, does anyone having someone else who's interested in going up to Chiang Mai but doesn't want to ride a motorcycle up there? The wife isn't too keen about having to drive by herself, so I would like some competent person to drive my truck; my wife could relieve them.

:D Ummm... might be an interesting trip ? ... :o

You're a dirty man.

Hmm, while I'm not gonna be riding with ya 100 kph will start to fatigue the 150 cc dudes. The bikes can take it, but it will fatigue them more at that speed than a bigger platform based bike.

For me when I'm riding 80 kph is the median and benchmark speed for a chunk of the trip.

Good catch. While I'm probably at the younger end of ThaiVisa posters, I often forget that not everyone is willing to abuse their bodies as I am. So anyone that thinks that the 100 km/h rate is too fast should chime in. As for me, I'd rather ride faster and not spend as much time in the saddle. However, the whole try and make it to Mae Sot was just an idea open to other's yeas or nays.

Definitely going:

• Bard {Kawasaki Ninja 250}

Anyone riding up from Pattaya to Bangkok, It would be good to have some company on that part of the trip, not sure where the meeting places are in Bangkok, although a map would probably get me there.

Another thing is it is possible that my Mrs would be up for a "holiday" as relief driver...on the non mountain roads, she is a good driver, I feel fine with her driving, and thats unusual, I am pretty particular with other people driving.

However she has a thing about mountain roads, but the general highways she could do fine, if another driver is needed.

She has vetoed the idea of taking our DMax because of the mountain bits, and not wanting to be alone, blah blah, so its looking like she'll stay here unless she could be of assistance.

A pre trip meet with anyone within reasonable distance of Pattaya would be good, if anyone is up for that.

My bike still has its red plate, hopefully it will have its white one by then, 2 months since purchase, would the red Pattaya one be an issue elsewhere?

I have the smallest bike in the group, but seem to cruise happily at 90/100 if roads ok, its more the riding position I might find fatiguing, suck it and see, I guess, which is why I want to do a long'un anyway, so I dont think that'll be too much of an issue( the average speed thing).

Getting close now, thunderstorms daily here interupting my riding practise, might have to start getting up early to get some dry miles in, seems to only rain in the afternoons, looking forward to the trip guys,

all the best,

Phil

Anyone riding up from Pattaya to Bangkok, It would be good to have some company on that part of the trip, not sure where the meeting places are in Bangkok, although a map would probably get me there.

I believe that Bard is stationed in Pattaya; but right now he's overseas. If he gets back in time, we were talking about meeting up on the 20th to go get our bikes dynoed. I know a good cheap place to sleep at on the night of the 20th if you're up for coming up a day early for the ride. That's where I'm going to be at. It's real easy to find from Bangkok. Just take Bang Na Trad up toward Bangkok, and when you get to the Samut Prakarn/Bang Pu exit, take a left. This is a nice straight road (I believe that it's Sukhumvit) that runs by a bunch of sun-dried fish vendors. Eventually you'll get into Samut Prakarn and you'll keep going until you see a "Bang Pu Seaside Resort" on the left. That's where I'll be.

Another thing is it is possible that my Mrs would be up for a "holiday" as relief driver...on the non mountain roads, she is a good driver, I feel fine with her driving, and thats unusual, I am pretty particular with other people driving.

However she has a thing about mountain roads, but the general highways she could do fine, if another driver is needed.

My wife's not a bad driver, it's just that she freaks out if there's an excess of cars on the road. She drives much too slowly for my tastes, but perhaps my preferences need to change to reflect the fact that there's a little one onboard now. She has no problems driving the mountain roads, she'll just slow down and make sure she doesn't hit a kwai. So if your lady is up to it, I'd sure appreciate her driving/co-piloting with mine.

She has vetoed the idea of taking our DMax because of the mountain bits, and not wanting to be alone, blah blah, so its looking like she'll stay here unless she could be of assistance.

I'm sending you a PM with my lady's information, get yours to talk with mine because I'm meeting a bit of resistance to the idea, any help convincing her she needs to listen to me (short of a 2x4 upside the head) would help!

A pre trip meet with anyone within reasonable distance of Pattaya would be good, if anyone is up for that.

My bike still has its red plate, hopefully it will have its white one by then, 2 months since purchase, would the red Pattaya one be an issue elsewhere?

I had my red plates on my CBR 150 for some 8 months. Purchased in Bangkok and ridden everywhere during that time frame. Then I got my Nakhon Sawan plate which has caused me no problems.

I have the smallest bike in the group, but seem to cruise happily at 90/100 if roads ok, its more the riding position I might find fatiguing, suck it and see, I guess, which is why I want to do a long'un anyway, so I dont think that'll be too much of an issue( the average speed thing).

A CBR 150R will buzz along quite happily at that speed. Biggest issue you'll have is the hand fatigue (alleviate by sliding foward or shifting your grip around). The buzzing in the saddle and pegs never bothered me, and I've cruised at an indicated 135+ for hours without too much cursing getting off.

Getting close now, thunderstorms daily here interupting my riding practise, might have to start getting up early to get some dry miles in, seems to only rain in the afternoons, looking forward to the trip guys,

all the best,

Phil

Prestbury you have already changed the exhaust down pipe on your bike, yes?

if so 100/110 would probably be ok. i normally rev the nuts off mine and just keep it full throttle 120/130. but gotta admit only for 30-50km's at a time.

Allan

Looks as tho you have a good crowd coming together.

Just a thought - I time the run from the centre of BKK to Tak on Route 1, in about 5 - 5.5 hours @ c. 120kph including two fuel stops.

On a smaller cc bike it will take a little longer.

Mae Sot is another 40-50 mins away, but the ride is glorious - just watch out for the huge trucks heading for Burma.

Look forward to reading your trip report.

Dave Boo. Good choice. That's the 3 highway. The 34 is a beat to hel_l piece of garbage. Bikes are supposed to stay on the service road but it is a minefield. The main road under the double decker isn't much better. You could easily be thrown off after hitting some of those holes. The 3 is excellent. Use it all the time.

I'll meet up on 21 at Seacon & ride part way with you. That's Friday Nov 21.

Dave Boo. Good choice. That's the 3 highway. The 34 is a beat to hel_l piece of garbage. Bikes are supposed to stay on the service road but it is a minefield. The main road under the double decker isn't much better. You could easily be thrown off after hitting some of those holes. The 3 is excellent. Use it all the time.

I'll meet up on 21 at Seacon & ride part way with you. That's Friday Nov 21.

I'm bad with names; and obviously too lazy to look it up! Thanks for giving the heads up to those riders coming up from Sin City, LOS. I'd like to point out that the road is quite nice up to Khlong Tamru, then you have to ride the crappy feeder road along Bang Na Trad for some 13 kilometers. I usually got off on Theisaban 14, which goes down to Bang Pakong, and rode through the little town there. That keeps you from having to mess around with the intersection, since it deposits you onto Sukhumvit after all those factories and the turn off of the Bang Na Trad feeder road. **edit** I forgot that after the river, there's a side road you can also take. This has much fewer potholes and you get to see stuff you wouldn't otherwise.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...219727&z=12

The more the merrier; don't know how far you'd like to ride, but I'm sure that information will be forthcoming on 21 November. I know Seacon all to well, perhaps on the 20th we can meet up there and eat at that little resturant tucked away behind it?

Looks as tho you have a good crowd coming together.

I'm rather pleased.

Just a thought - I time the run from the centre of BKK to Tak on Route 1, in about 5 - 5.5 hours @ c. 120kph including two fuel stops.

That's going North (which I do all the time and don't really like but am willing to do if that's the general consensus as to the best route) and I'd prefer to go West and hit up the mountains on the way up towards Mae Sot. Also thaicbr would not be able to join up.

On a smaller cc bike it will take a little longer.

I think that the 80-100 km/h rate is probably going to be our average; I don't want to miss out on any sites and I'm not sure about the conditioning of other riders or their willingness to go faster.

Mae Sot is another 40-50 mins away, but the ride is glorious - just watch out for the huge trucks heading for Burma.

Thanks for the heads up.

Look forward to reading your trip report.

I'm no wordsmith, but I'll do my best. Also I'm taking my camera, hopefully I can get 1/4 as good pics as others have posted on their reports.

I'd like to reiterate I'm fairly easy, ply me with M-Loy-Ha, cafe, and pot grapow ghai and I'll go along with anything. So if there's a majority of riders that think we need to slow down, we'll slow down. If the group says let's speed up, we'll speed up. I'll be in no rush.

Edited by dave_boo

Prestbury you have already changed the exhaust down pipe on your bike, yes?

if so 100/110 would probably be ok. i normally rev the nuts off mine and just keep it full throttle 120/130. but gotta admit only for 30-50km's at a time.

Allan

I havent touched the bike mechanically since I have had it, just running in stuff. I dont know where to get things done, and I have been reasonably happy with its performance off the shelf. I have thought about a few mods: the downpipe, a new exhaust, new plug and lead, as recommended on this thread, which is the one I will probably do soon, any info on a competent shop to do the downpipe would be welcome, as would any recommendations to improve the bike,other than the ones above,?

thanks

PP

Prestbury check out the cb150.club.com. accessory's and classified's sections. a guy called tae cbr has some good downpipes and he sends E.M.S then pretty much any motorsi service place can fit. if you are in Pattaya use the original muffler then the police will not bother you.

just by changing the downpipe it improves both the sound and performance.

any other questions just ask.

Allan

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...219727&z=12[/url]

The more the merrier; don't know how far you'd like to ride, but I'm sure that information will be forthcoming on 21 November. I know Seacon all to well, perhaps on the 20th we can meet up there and eat at that little resturant tucked away behind it?[/color][/b]

Sweet map.

Can you kindly show me your proposed route out of BKK for the Iron Butt?

FYI - I would like to meet up there at that small motorcycle parking area nearly in front of Bangkok Bank - Tesco Lotus side.

Bun Wa Pee is another good place to chow down.

I will ride North for a couple of hours. The V-Max needs fuel at 150 kms, my CB400 needs fuel at 180 km. Haven't decided which one I'm taking.

Choke Dee.

Edited by dotcom

Have you got an itinerary fixed ?? I did skim through the thread but only saw 'rough' ones.. Leaving BKK 21'st ?? Then ??

Some of my commitments got easier.. But also remembered its the missus's birthday on the mid 20's Nov.. Need to check the exact on that and see how it shakes out..

My planning (if it works) would probably be to meet outside or western edge of BKK.. Possibly overnight Hua Hin with an early start.

Have you got an itinerary fixed ?? I did skim through the thread but only saw 'rough' ones.. Leaving BKK 21'st ?? Then ??

Some of my commitments got easier.. But also remembered its the missus's birthday on the mid 20's Nov.. Need to check the exact on that and see how it shakes out..

My planning (if it works) would probably be to meet outside or western edge of BKK.. Possibly overnight Hua Hin with an early start.

I don't have a set itinerary. HOWEVER, the general one I've lined out seems to be meeting no resistance.

Basically, looking at arriving back into BKK night of the 19th, doing dyno run(s) with those willing on the 20th and leaving on the 21st. Holing up at Mae Sot on the evening of the 21st and doing the twisty Mae Sot-Umphang run early on morning of the 22nd. Upon returning to Mae Sot, collecting the ladies and continuing onward to Chiang Mai, to arrive the evening of the 22nd.

I was thinking about shooting down the Suhkhumvit to Rama IV and hang a left on Sathon Tai. I believe that turns into Kanlapaphruek. Turning North on Charan Sanitwong, and then West on Hwy 4 to 323.

Then the 323 to where? After the lakes it seems to end at the Burmese border.

Are you in ??? As I owe you a beer or three for the help volunteered !! :o

My plan, if it happens, would be to stop hua hin / cha am.. And then head up the 4 to meet everyone out on the Phet Kasem marker (linked in the google map link above) or somewhere around there..

I realize that everyone would meet and hang out so I would miss some of the pre launch social but have limited interest in riding round bangkok, the rolling road / dyno, etc etc.. Plus the phuket leg makes it a bit of a double iron butt !!

Then the 323 to where? After the lakes it seems to end at the Burmese border.

From Si Sawat I want to go up to Wang Yao and on from there to Ban Rai. Travel is going to result in 129.9 km and 2 hours 59 min (totals of 422.9 km and 7 hours 50 min).

roadtrip_3.jpg

(don't think this is an actual picture from the area, but these are the type of roads we'll be on)

There are some interesting roads to go from Ban Rai, but if we do, we're going to reach a destination that we have to backtrack from. So, assuming everyone's hungry/sleepy, we'll go up from Ban Rai to Lan Sak, which has a hotel. That's going to give us a ride of 63 km and 1 hour 17 minutes (totals of 485.9 km and 9 hours 7 minutes).

img-resized.png Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 480 ] - Click to view full image02117_011.jpg

(a picture of the entrance to the world heritage site just up the road from Lan Sak.

If we do shack up for the night, we can head out in the morning after a hearty meal. Going up from Lan Sak, we'll pass through Kampheng Phet and Tak on the way to Mae Sot. This should get us there in time for lunch or there abouts with travel time being 271 km and 5 hours 3 min (total 756.9 km 14 hours 10 min).

img-resized.png Reduced: 64% of original size [ 800 x 483 ] - Click to view full imageMaesot4.jpg

(a Mae Sot Road)

Skirting along the Burmese (Myamarese?) border via 105 will take us up to Mae Yuam. Travel time being 230 km and 3 hours 28 minutes (total 986.9 km 17 hours 38 minutes).

Hanging a right on 108 (which co-incidentally enough was the designation of the State Route I grew up on in the US!) we'll head up to Chiang Mai. A pretty quick run, only 189 km and 3 hours 30 minutes. (total 1175.9 km 21 hours 8 minutes).

Ya ya ya I have family members in Ban Rai.

Cool. You going to be able to ride with us up that far?

Definitely going:

• dotcom {Suzuki V-Max or Honda CB400}

• Bard (work schedule) {Kawasaki Ninja 250}

Edited by dave_boo

Dave i might not be able to make it now due to work commitments eg need to work to get some money in as my students decided to cancel their private lessons this week rather than the after the 21st as i had advised.

might know more closer to the time. bas*ards might cancel again :o

Allan

or i might be able to catch up with ya on the way up or down if your going back past nakhom pathom. depends what time ya passing.

Dave i might not be able to make it now due to work commitments eg need to work to get some money in as my students decided to cancel their private lessons this week rather than the after the 21st as i had advised.

might know more closer to the time. bas*ards might cancel again :o

Allan

or i might be able to catch up with ya on the way up or down if your going back past nakhom pathom. depends what time ya passing.

If you're able, meet us up at either the intersection of 4/3145 and 321. Keep us in the loop. I was thinking about actually heading down the Eastern provinces on the way back home (Nakhon Sawan).