• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine-

bike3009.jpg

My business partners-

DSCF4677.jpg

bike002.jpg

:o

where did he get that red sweet monster from?? Imported??

where would I find a beast like that here?

Is it an extended frame on it?

I do need an extended frame as I am 6'6" all bikes look small under me.

Anyone has an idea on how much they would be if made here?

Frame is standard size but it has been altered cosmetically, the bike was built by East Coast Choppers in Jomtien Pattaya and is currently for sale. :D

dave boo. The front light is a sonic light and the back end is still fat cbr its just the angle.

if the bloody thing hadn't cost me 16thou due to a crap thai mechanic rebuilt engine then it might have had a slimmer bum. its in the shop now getting a new engine fitted (different shop though. hows your cbr150 mods going)

Yeah, I recognised the headlight, comes from an older Sonic.

It only cost you 16 000 THB to rebuild? That's a really good price in my opinion! If you don't mind asking, how much did the bike cost you when first purchased? Any more left in Thailand? I had always assumed there weren't any; and they're quite dear purchased in Australia. I've always been fascinated with those bikes, 4x 62,5cc pistons wailing away at 18 000 RPM gives me a 'lil chubby.

I'm not back in Thailand until 18 November, so the mods have to wait until then.

dave it would have been a great price if the <deleted> had done it right. as it is the crank bearing failed again within 4 weeks. so its in another shop getting a new engine fitted (a reliable shop that my girlfriend found via her friend).this time only 14000baht inc engine and stuff.

so hopefully pick it up thursday. check out mocyc.com there was a nice mc22 on for 25thou baht a few days ago.

and yes chubbys are easy to get when you get them on song.

My Triumph Rocket 3 Classic. Mrs H2O bought it for me last year for my birthday. 2,300cc of effortless power and more torque than you can shake a big stick at. The best mile muncher Ive ever cocked my leg over, and there's been a lot, and given me more smiles per mile also :D . Another bonus is that in 15,000km riding round Thailand Ive yet to see another :o

post-24982-1221708046_thumb.jpg

med_gallery_16137_403_280371.jpg

Hi

Can see you did change to Thai Thunderheader

Not by choice ! :o

I left my buddy with a list of things I wanted to get done while I was gone, and a couple of things I might want done. He got a good deal on those pipes, had them re-chromed and installed for about 4,000 baht.

Now I have to put around the neighbourhood at an idle, especially when coming back at 3 am ! They sound great on the highway, but a little too loud for me in residential areas.

I'm almost tempted to switch them back to something quieter. Have to think about that when I get home next time.

Hi H2oDunc, if you haven't seen another one on Phuket, then it must be yours up for sale!!! Only kidding!

There is another one (red I think) over on Koh Samui.

BSJ the one on Samui was mine. I had it here for a while before it went up to BKK for its first major service. The one for sale in Phuket may also be mine as its advertised in Ridethailand mag this month which I think is Phuket based. Boy am I going to miss her when she's gone :o

Not by choice ! :o

I left my buddy with a list of things I wanted to get done while I was gone, and a couple of things I might want done. He got a good deal on those pipes, had them re-chromed and installed for about 4,000 baht.

Now I have to put around the neighbourhood at an idle, especially when coming back at 3 am ! They sound great on the highway, but a little too loud for me in residential areas.

I'm almost tempted to switch them back to something quieter. Have to think about that when I get home next time.

You obviously have not spent enough time in Thailand if you worry that the noise YOU make might disturb other people. It is your right! Enjoy! Be proud! Don't worry about other people! Don't even think of them unless they are about to be overtaken. Take off your mirrors too...

Uros like you Ive never understood the need for a bike to have straight thrugh pipes. Why all that noise ? The engine is designed to have some back pressure from the exhaust and it does nothing for the performance. Had a friend here on Samui with a chopper with VERY loud pipes and he worked late hours. Going back to his house at 3-4 in the morning certainly didnt make him mr popular on his estate and his bike was forever getting scratched. People used to say they loved the way the Rocket used to purr past them as I rode by. Stlll people will contine to do it . I takes all sorts I suppose. :o

Hi :o

Seems for most HD (or other chopper) riders the decibel ability of the pipes works as a substitute for some other "pipe" which appears to be badly lacking. I, too, never understood the need for excessive noise - where only very few manage to be loud and sound good at it, most just generate racket.

Four-Stroke engines do NOT, however, require back pressure as their timing is managed solely by the valves. F1 cars, for example, have no silencers whatsoever (in fact many types of race cars don't, see dragsters - which, no doubt, have the most powerful reciprocating engines available). And yes, ANY silencing element DOES create gas resistance, which slows the gas flow and reduces power.

BUT if a HD now has 60 or 62 HP really doesn't make a difference (and excuse my lack of actual knowledge on HD's power output in Thailand, in Germany they are ridiculously underpowered ex-factory) and an open pipe alone certainly doesn't double the horses.

Plus, the open pipes invite others on "lower grade" choppers to imitate - and nothing sounds more pathetic than a Honda Phantom with a two-foot piece of water pipe for an exhaust.

Best regards......

two-stroker Thanh

My ride....

A Honda Wave 125 scooter, complete with a childs "fold down" rumble seet. I call her the "grey ghost" due to her color schematics.

She is a beauty....

and then I woke up and sniffed reality.

My scooter is a joke... sad thing is, it is still considered a babe magnet in Thailand.

For puttering to the pub.

Finally!!

Someone who rides the one and only.... the SUPER CUB. Grandfather of a whole new class of bikes, world's most and longest produced motor vehicle... oh how i wish i had one!! It's still in production, since 1958, 50 years that is.... and the Cub goes on and on and on :o

Is yours the 50 or the 70cc model? Which year? Got the green book?? Don't EVER sell that beauty! Keep it in top condition.

It's the ONLY four-stroke i'd give up my RXZ for.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

It's a 70 cc.

I make a point of parking it next to a Harley when I go to the pub. It's fun watching the Harley owner silently fume when a bike that cost a twentieth of what he paid, grabs all the attention.

The Thais seem to like it, too. I'm always getting the thumbs up as their cars and bikes pass me.

No book I'm afraid, so, strictly speaking, it's illegal to take out on the street. I was told it's 1970's vintage.

Restored Cubs have become popular on Phuket, there's quite a few and the majority don't have the original book.

The BiB understand this and as long as you have a license and a helmet, they don't cause any hassles.

Edited by Sir Burr

Hi :o

Seems for most HD (or other chopper) riders the decibel ability of the pipes works as a substitute for some other "pipe" which appears to be badly lacking. I, too, never understood the need for excessive noise - where only very few manage to be loud and sound good at it, most just generate racket.

Totally in agreement! I believe it's called over-compensation.

Four-Stroke engines do NOT, however, require back pressure as their timing is managed solely by the valves. F1 cars, for example, have no silencers whatsoever (in fact many types of race cars don't, see dragsters - which, no doubt, have the most powerful reciprocating engines available). And yes, ANY silencing element DOES create gas resistance, which slows the gas flow and reduces power.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. The reason that race cars don't need silencers is firstly they're ran on the track and not up and down the sub-division's roads. Also, since race cars spend the vast majority of their life at extremely high RPMS, where their mid-range torque is of no issue, they don't need the back pressure provided by a silencer. But at mid-range the Venturi effect afforded by the inherent gas scavenging that a properly designed system offers is reduced if overly large, poorly designed pipes are installed

Race car cams are much different than regular cams (just like I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two about the difference between say your bike's expansion chamber and that of say a NSR 250's). Most consumer vehicles have just a bit of overlap on their exhaust/intake cam openings. Conversely the racing cams have more overlap. Now that would seem to be counter-intuitive, but think of it this way; EGR is needed. With a silencer system in place, some of that is provided by enough gas not being forced out of the combustion chamber. The benefit of not removing all the exhaust gas is the that turbulence it provides near the piston dome helping better evenly fill the chamber during intake. This leads to a more complete combustion, with the expected benefits of more power per stroke and better economy. On a car that spends its life high in the RPM range less scavenging is required since there is not as complete of a expulsion of the gases by the limitations brought on by the incredibly short time the valves are open.

Now removing what the manufacturer designed, especially on a carb'd engine, is going to mess with that. While a fuel injection system should be able to handle the change, a carb'd engine will require the owner to adjust it.

Another remote possibility is the reversion waves. Technically if a poorly designed system of straight through pipes were installed, when the exhaust pulse hit a bend it could create a pressure pulse. If the harmonics were correct (actually you wouldn't want them correct!) the pulses would build up and amplify each other to the point where there would be major disturbances resulting in an incomplete evacuation of the spent gasses or the most extreme case a bent exhaust valve. Note that while I've never actually seen bent valves from a set up that could be attributed to that, it is a theoretical possibility. However, that's why most exhuast systems are carefully engineered.

But back to your race car analogy. While exhaust systems can create resistance, the manufacturer makes sure that there's as little as possible for the normal driving range. It's only when you start talking about running your vehicle at 9k+ ALL the time (or the 20K for F1) that any restriction will manifest itself. For normal driving I can gaurantee that you wouldn't notice the difference. However putting on non-factory crazy loud pipes could cause a discernable difference at driving speeds.

BUT if a HD now has 60 or 62 HP really doesn't make a difference (and excuse my lack of actual knowledge on HD's power output in Thailand, in Germany they are ridiculously underpowered ex-factory) and an open pipe alone certainly doesn't double the horses.

Plus, the open pipes invite others on "lower grade" choppers to imitate - and nothing sounds more pathetic than a Honda Phantom with a two-foot piece of water pipe for an exhaust.

Best regards......

two-stroker Thanh

Good morning :o

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, i highly appreciate it :D You see, learned something again. Then, i'm more into two-strokes (and my knowledge likewise).

My only experience (directly, first hand) was with a Honda CB 250 DeLuxe (250cc single), on which i "just for fun" emptied the pipes (it had two pipes), i made them completely empty. WHAT a RACKET! However there was zero difference in power - neither more nor less (if there was, then probably measurable on a dyno, however ride-feeling-wise there was no difference). Needless to say those pipes weren't empty all that long :D

Kind regards......

Thanh

Here's mine;

First my Kawasaki W650. I LOVE this bike! Gives a lot of satisfacion and really nice to ride.

post-22617-1221924567_thumb.jpg

post-22617-1221924775_thumb.jpg

Next, my KTM 450 EXC. The DEVIL! Sitting here with sore ribs after it turned around and bit me last weekend!

post-22617-1221924833_thumb.jpg

My Husqvarna WR 250. Up for sal as I have the KTM and need the space. Standard apart from a FMF powerpipe. A good fast and reliable enduro bike.

post-22617-1221924885_thumb.jpg

For puttering to the pub.

Finally!!

Someone who rides the one and only.... the SUPER CUB. Grandfather of a whole new class of bikes, world's most and longest produced motor vehicle... oh how i wish i had one!! It's still in production, since 1958, 50 years that is.... and the Cub goes on and on and on :o

Is yours the 50 or the 70cc model? Which year? Got the green book?? Don't EVER sell that beauty! Keep it in top condition.

It's the ONLY four-stroke i'd give up my RXZ for.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Take a look at this.. i am VERY tempted,. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...452029&rd=1