Electricity Rates On Samui

JXB

I live in Bangrak in a one bedroom, one a/c unit bungalow. I run the a/c maybe 6 hours per day. My landord gives me the electric bill but I don't see anything that looks like "3.4 unit".

PA050550.jpg

Units used: 395

First 150 units at 1.8047 = 270.71 ฿

Next 245 units at 2.7781 = 680.63 ฿

Standing charge = 40.9 ฿

Subtotal 1 = 992.24 ฿

FT * units = 0.6285*395 = 248.26 ฿

Subtotal 2 = 1240.50 ฿

7% VAT = 86.84 ฿

Final total = 1327.34 ฿

http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=Residential

This sounds anal, but if you really want to make sure about the rates...

1 Get the landlord to show you were the meter is. Have your digital camera and a copy of the day's Thai newspaper with you.

2 Take a picture with the meter and the paper with the date on it close enough so that you get both the numbers on the meter and the date of the paper.

3 Laugh a bit.

Now you have proof of what the meter was at the start of your stay. If there is a future problem, you can easily find out what the rates are and you have proof of how much you used.

(This photo evidence can also be used in renting cars or bikes, recording the conditions of flats when you begin your rental and so on. And remember, this is also why phones have cameras if you need a quick record of something.)

The only flaw here is the possibility, and I have seen this before, that somewhere down the line, another unit or units are siphoning off electricity from your meter. The meter figure would be unreasonably high, but there would be no way to account for the situation, unless you did some investigation on your own as to where the lines all go.

2 Take a picture with the meter and the paper with the date on it close enough so that you get both the numbers on the meter and the date of the paper.

Now you have proof of what the meter was at the start of your stay. If there is a future problem, you can easily find out what the rates are and you have proof of how much you used.

That would prove absolutely nothing.

What would stop you from taking a picture three months into your stay with an old newspaper and claim that the (higher) meter reading at that time was the reading at the start of your stay? Your landlord on the other hand could use a picture with a newspaper to prove the meter reading at the start of your stay, because he would gain nothing (on the contrary) by using an old newspaper in the picture.

But wouldn't it be easier just to have the meter reading documented in your rental contract?

Sophon

Sophon wrote:

That would prove absolutely nothing.

I believe I stated that the landlord would be present during the photography. Of course, he could later claim, as a bald-faced lie, that the picture was Photoshopped or that aliens used the meter to probe his rectum.

The photo is a kind of insurance statement that says, "We both know what the meter says on this day."

Putting the figure in the rental contract is a good idea too.

I was an engineer for the latest 12 years, i might be way out there, but from what i understand the high sufflient lighbuld actually cost more to light up 3 times /day than to leave on. Now, highdriver, did i get this all wrong and can you please provide the link that shows so?

:o:(:D:D:D:P:D:burp::D

• 1 month later...

FT * units = 0.6285*395 = 248.26 ฿

What is FT ?

AH found it on the PEA website http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=FT

Ft Charge

Ft Charge is the additional expenditure which is altered by the oil price. PEA will calculate by using the ratio of cost of production that is increased on the period.

Edited by parryhandy