Passport Renewal/ Driving License

Tried 'Motor Forum' - no replies.

When I renew my passport do I have to change my 5 yr driving license?

I asked at DLT and they said it does not matter. When I explained the numbers on both documents would not be same they said 'change it then - up to you'

Have you changed yours?

I asked at DLT and they said it does not matter. When I explained the numbers on both documents would not be same they said 'change it then - up to you'

Have you changed yours?

Well you seem to have the answer already....Up to you

Cant really seeing this being a problem if you dont change it, after all it has your photo on it, so they can see its you, irrespective of the document number on it.

Have you changed yours?

I had the same question if you change your address....never got a definite reply as to whether you need to change it or if it is ok to wait until renewal time

I had the same question if you change your address....never got a definite reply as to whether you need to change it or if it is ok to wait until renewal time

When I moved from BKK to Jomtien I went to Immigration and presented the form to the 90-day lady. She was quite puzzled by it, had to ask the captain about it. Finally she stamped it and put the bottom part in my passport. This process re-set my 90-day reporting date, which was a happy benefit.

So, someone who moves could probably wait until their next reporting date without a problem, but I was being a good guest and it was worth it.

When I moved from BKK to Jomtien I went to Immigration and presented the form to the 90-day lady. She was quite puzzled by it, had to ask the captain about it. Finally she stamped it and put the bottom part in my passport. This process re-set my 90-day reporting date, which was a happy benefit.

So, someone who moves could probably wait until their next reporting date without a problem, but I was being a good guest and it was worth it.

The OP is talking about a drivers license and your talking about you 90 day reports...!!!...no wonder people get confussed.. :o

Have you changed yours?

I sure didn't bother to update my driving license. Indeed, when I moved out here to Thanyaburi in '96, I didn't up date my annual licenses until about 2002, they still had my old Sukumvit Soi 71 address.

Main reason for having a Thai driving license, in my view, is good ID to show at banks and national parks and such, not to show to traffic cops. For the latter I hand over an expired AAA IDP, altho do have a current IDP in my bag.

Mac

Have you changed yours?

I sure didn't bother to update my driving license. Indeed, when I moved out here to Thanyaburi in '96, I didn't up date my annual licenses until about 2002, they still had my old Sukumvit Soi 71 address.

Main reason for having a Thai driving license, in my view, is good ID to show at banks and national parks and such, not to show to traffic cops. For the latter I hand over an expired AAA IDP, altho do have a current IDP in my bag.

Mac

This only works if you keep renewing your IDL.For those who only have the Thai DL ......

This is Thailand. I can say that my wife has a DL and she only renews it expiers and has never changed the address on it from day one and she has moved quite a bit. Her ID card shows her Aunt house as the address of record as she is in her house book. So she uses that as the DL address. She's been with me 3 years and no bother about the DL address.

When we build this next year she will move all her info to the new place as we will have a house book for the new house.

I will do the same for my 5 year DL. I also show an old passport number on the DL and I will up date that when I apply for another DL with the address change. Kill all the birds with one trip. Until then I agree that the coppers aren't interested in the address I think. Just that you have a valid DL.

The address is on the front of the old style driving license (the ones where they glued your photo on) but it's not on the new style license, unless, as you say it's stored in the magnetic strip.

We've moved house since we last renewed our licenses and my wife says you can go to change the address if you want to, but it's not that important and there's no comeback if it's not done until the license needs renewing. Also, a Thai's address is taken from their tabien baan, it's not nessassarily where they're actually living anyway.

In the last day or so I have looked at 4 new Thia licenses.

One 5 year car license, two 1 year car licenses and one 1 year motorbike license.

All were obtained within the last 2 months or so.

Three from Rayong and the other in Issan somewhere

All 4 have the address written in Thai in very small print on the rear in the white box near the bottom.

Checked again.

No address on my 5 year licenses. (suratthani)

When I renewed last time I didn't bring paper from immigration stating my address only copies WP.

Maybe only on Thai nationals licenses?

Edited by PoorSucker

In the last day or so I have looked at 4 new Thai licenses. One 5 year car license, two 1 year car licenses and one 1 year motorbike license. All were obtained within the last 2 months or so. Three from Rayong and the other in Issan somewhere

All 4 have the address written in Thai in very small print on the rear in the white box near the bottom.

So, whether the address is printed in Thai on the rear or not, must vary from region to region.

Just curious as to when you got this card? More than a few months ago?

If you are asking me. It was issued 14.02.08. In Khon Kaen.

So you have one of the first issued new cards.

I am guessing they added the address thing recently to the process as it seems folks that get the license now have the address on the back