Sukhomvit Chaos This Afternoon

pontious

Thanks for opening the topic. I have been moving through the mail in my Inbox, and reached this near the end. My plan was to open my own thread on this subject, and title it: "The I's Have It".

Those "I's" would INCOMPETENT, INEPT, AND IGNORANT!! They would be applied to the Pattaya police department, and the city government responsible for them!

It took me nearly TWO HOURS to drive from Lotus (Sukhumvit), to my home near Wat Suttawat, at the east end of Nern Plub Warn. Most of that time was spent in total gridlock on the western "Relief road" paralelling the railroad tracks. The reason for the gridlock was total chaos at each of the intersections at Khao Talo, Khao Noi, and Nern Plub Warn. All that would have been required to at least keep the traffic moving, albeit slowly, was ONE COP at each of those intersections!!

There is absolutely no excuse for such a total lack of municipal responsibility in a city this size! There are reasons; but no excuses. The reasons, of course, are the three "I's"!!!

And let's turn back the clock a bit, shall we? Let's go back to many months ago, when I posted the obvious fact that the "Relief Road" should never have been opened until traffic lights were both in place (which they are, at some intersections), AND OPERATIONAL (which they have never been at these constantly clogged and dangerous intersections)!! Any idiot could have foreseen the need for traffic control at these intersections.

For that matter, any idiot could have planned to set up these roads, east and west of the rr tracks, with alternating overpasses - traffic light controlled intersections on one side; and an overpass on the other. I have never worked in the field of traffic management, but I swear on my mother's grave that I could manage traffic in this city better than these goons do it!!

These intersections are GRIDLOCK WAITING TO HAPPEN at the slighest increase in normal traffic flow. Again, A FREAKING MONKEY COULD SEE THAT COMING!!

This afternoon, the deluge kept the majority of people off the road for quite some time. Understandably, it did create some physical obstacles, with flooding in low areas of all roads. It was also obvious that, with "rush hour" in full swing just as the storm began to subside, and most Thais rushing out to do whatever personal business they had to do for the day, the streets would be filled with thousands of vehicles, all running into those physical obstacles. The likelihood of major problems at all intersections that are not controlled by traffic signals was as obvious as the availability of Play for Pay on Soi 6!!

But were the Pattaya Police prepared? Did they react with appropriate action to control the obvious congestion points? Yeah. About as well as they enforce the helmet law, the general traffic laws, and the requirement for all drivers to be licensed!!

This city's police department is a disgrace! The mayor should fire every single police official in the city, and replace them with farangs who know how to do the job!! I volunteer my services to be Police Commissioner; or, at the very least, Traffic Control Chief!!

And, in case you were about to ask, YES, I AM PISSED OFF!!

I got stuck as well. Had to get out of the baht bus and wade up to my knees.

Yeah, Sid. I'm sorry for your difficulty. But I can understand, and accept, the problems created by natural events. This storm dropped enough water, in a short period of time, to create flooding problems anywhere in the world that it might happen. There's no blame to be placed upon the Pattaya government or police for that.

But the total absence of police presence at known points of congestion FOLLOWING the storm was NOT the result of "natural causes." It was the direct result of "the 3 I's"!

It took me nearly TWO HOURS to drive from Lotus (Sukhumvit), to my home near Wat Suttawat, at the east end of Nern Plub Warn. Most of that time was spent in total gridlock on the western "Relief road" paralelling the railroad tracks. The reason for the gridlock was total chaos at each of the intersections at Khao Talo, Khao Noi, and Nern Plub Warn.

And let's turn back the clock a bit, shall we? Let's go back to many months ago, when I posted the obvious fact that the "Relief Road" should never have been opened until traffic lights were both in place (which they are, at some intersections), AND OPERATIONAL (which they have never been at these constantly clogged and dangerous intersections)!! Any idiot could have foreseen the need for traffic control at these intersections.

These intersections are GRIDLOCK WAITING TO HAPPEN at the slighest increase in normal traffic flow. Again, A FREAKING MONKEY COULD SEE THAT COMING!!

Good rant but, oh! the irony.

Many months ago, you accurately predicted the gridlock on the "relief road" - So why did you choose to use the "relief road" tonight?

There were delays on the Sukhumvit, but nothing approaching what you suffered. I know, I was there.

This is a 2-3 times a year occurance (storm coinciding with rush hour), a bit like the half inch of snow that usually brings traffic to a standstill in the uk.

No reason to dismiss the whole police force who, by the way, are doing a great job of enforcing the helmet laws.

:o

I got stuck as well. Had to get out of the baht bus and wade up to my knees.

Nice pics! Wonder what it will look like when a big real storm hits? i.e. full blown Cyclone.

The big problem is that most of the drains are blocked so it doesn't take long to fill and overflow with Rat invested piss water

so I would really recommend washing your feet if you had to wade through that!!

I think the traffic problems started long before today's rain.

I went to Big C (Pattaya Tai) this afternoon, and the intersection at Pattaya Tai/#3 Road was a mess. Traffic was so backed up going each direction, that when the lights changed, people were stuck for half the time waiting for the intersection to clear of all the people still forcing their way through from their light. I watched when I got close enough, and from the time the light changed to green, until the first car in my lane was able to move was over 15 seconds. I was about 9 cars back never made it through that light.

Then, all the way from that intersection to Big C traffic was backed up enough that even the small motos were having troubles getting ahead. I thought there must have been an accident somewhere ahead, or more construction work, that was causing the back log.

After dawdling for almost an hour at Wranglers, I popped over to get my insurance. 5 Minutes after sitting down in the office, the rain hit. Coming down in waves ! All that was missing was some surfers and flopping fish !

Taken seconds (literally) after the rain started:

med_gallery_16137_403_96291.jpg

med_gallery_16137_403_380964.jpg

At least it didn't get flooded. The drive back afterwards was pretty slow as well, with traffic backed up on Pattaya Tai both ways, but cleared nicely on # 3 road once I turned left on it.

I left my house on Nern Plub Waan 5.45 pm got to my destination on Beach Road 7.45 pm. I drove down Soi Siam Country Club cut across to Nern Plub Waan on to Sukumvit aiming to cut down Pattaya Tai. Hit a wall of traffic. I think everyone and their granny was on this !!!! :o

Got down Pattaya Tai but it took time. Cut along Sai Song from there to about soi 7 the water was over a foot deep in places....too much crap being thrown down the drains,the positioning of the drains too high water cannot get down some. However the amount of rain we have had over the last week has been shocking.

Hope it stops soooooooooooooooooon

begs

Thanks for opening the topic. I have been moving through the mail in my Inbox, and reached this near the end. My plan was to open my own thread on this subject, and title it: "The I's Have It".

Those "I's" would INCOMPETENT, INEPT, AND IGNORANT!! They would be applied to the Pattaya police department, and the city government responsible for them!

It took me nearly TWO HOURS to drive from Lotus (Sukhumvit), to my home near Wat Suttawat, at the east end of Nern Plub Warn. Most of that time was spent in total gridlock on the western "Relief road" paralelling the railroad tracks. The reason for the gridlock was total chaos at each of the intersections at Khao Talo, Khao Noi, and Nern Plub Warn. All that would have been required to at least keep the traffic moving, albeit slowly, was ONE COP at each of those intersections!!

There is absolutely no excuse for such a total lack of municipal responsibility in a city this size! There are reasons; but no excuses. The reasons, of course, are the three "I's"!!!

Just remember

Pattaya police dont work in these instances

1. Its between 12 and 1pm (food time)

2. Its dark (scared of ghosts)

3. Its raining

So take your pick, and i bet you will find an answer for lack of police.

For that matter, any idiot could have planned to set up these roads, east and west of the rr tracks, with alternating overpasses - traffic light controlled intersections on one side; and an overpass on the other. I have never worked in the field of traffic management, but I swear on my mother's grave that I could manage traffic in this city better than these goons do it!!

This afternoon, the deluge kept the majority of people off the road for quite some time. Understandably, it did create some physical obstacles, with flooding in low areas of all roads. It was also obvious that, with "rush hour" in full swing just as the storm began to subside, and most Thais rushing out to do whatever personal business they had to do for the day, the streets would be filled with thousands of vehicles, all running into those physical obstacles. The likelihood of major problems at all intersections that are not controlled by traffic signals was as obvious as the availability of Play for Pay on Soi 6!!

But were the Pattaya Police prepared? Did they react with appropriate action to control the obvious congestion points? Yeah. About as well as they enforce the helmet law, the general traffic laws, and the requirement for all drivers to be licensed!!

This city's police department is a disgrace! The mayor should fire every single police official in the city, and replace them with farangs who know how to do the job!! I volunteer my services to be Police Commissioner; or, at the very least, Traffic Control Chief!!

And, in case you were about to ask, YES, I AM PISSED OFF!!

Looking eastwards out of my window just now, i would say be prepared for more of the same today - very black looking sky! :o

10:00 AM and it's already pouring down again here in Jomtien! But look on the bright side, it's just the last fling of what has otherwise been a pretty dry rainy season (apart from June). I hear it's already getting chilly in the nights up north. It'll soon be the cool dry season. :D

It took me nearly TWO HOURS to drive from Lotus (Sukhumvit), to my home near Wat Suttawat, at the east end of Nern Plub Warn. Most of that time was spent in total gridlock on the western "Relief road" paralelling the railroad tracks. The reason for the gridlock was total chaos at each of the intersections at Khao Talo, Khao Noi, and Nern Plub Warn.

Many months ago, you accurately predicted the gridlock on the "relief road" - So why did you choose to use the "relief road" tonight?

There were delays on the Sukhumvit, but nothing approaching what you suffered. I know, I was there.

This is a 2-3 times a year occurance (storm coinciding with rush hour), a bit like the half inch of snow that usually brings traffic to a standstill in the uk.

No reason to dismiss the whole police force who, by the way, are doing a great job of enforcing the helmet laws.

I live off Soi Khaw Noi and it took me 3 hours to get home from Jomtien beach yesterday.  Yeah, there was some flooding on Sukhumvit, but along my route I didn't see more than a foot of water at any point, surely not enough to result in a total traffic stoppage.  I didn't use the relief road on the railroad tracks; I couldn't even if I wanted to because the traffic was backed up into Sukhumvit at all of the intersections that connect Sukhumvit to the relief road. I eventually made my way to the Central Road intersection, made a U-turn only then to form up in the long line to make the left turn on to Soi Khaw Noi.

I agree that the relief road as it was constructed (still not completed mind you), is a total disaster.  I had been telling my wife all along that it will be a total mess if they don't install operational traffic lights.  What's the excuse for it?  It can't be that they didn't have time because its taken forever for them to construct this road.  They would start working on it then nothing for months then begin working again.  Also, don't just blame the heavy downpour for the traffic problems; this is a daily occurrence late afternoon, early evening at the intersections along this relief road.  The new exit off of Highway 7 crossing the relief road and entering Sukhumvit in the vicinity of Pattaya Nua will not help with traffic flow on Sukhumvit unless they plan for additional exits off of this road or Highway 7 to gain access to the east side of Pattaya.  I would have preferred this new exit to have extended further south past Jomtien or at least past Lotus with multiple exits to the east side Soi's.

I generally don't like to drive around Pattaya that often on a Saturday, especially to Jomtien beach, but we had in-laws visiting from up north, leaving today, and wanted to go to the beach before they go back home.  Otherwise, I would have only known about the Sukhomvit chaos through this website.

Pattayadavid

attached images - sukumvit - pattaya tai yesterday.

that new 2008 accord, along with many other new 07-08 cars were among the smart ones who drove through it, then flooded their car up to the glove boxes.

post-37826-1225010136_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010142_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010148_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010155_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010164_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010172_thumb.jpg

post-37826-1225010178_thumb.jpg

Edited by foxxx

:o:D Another apologist kno*end... Sorry buddy but the OP is correct.. anyone with a minute amount of common sense could see the disaster that the new relief road was gonna cause.

Doesn't matter what time of day it's a complete <deleted>*k-up... Nobody has he slightest idea who has right of way ( ROW doesn't exist in Thailand anyhow it seems) There are no traffic lights ( not that Thais pay attentio to them anyhow) and only Police there occaisionally.. Since the relief road has been built Sois Nern, Khao Noi and SCC have become a complete nightmare.. Introducing a fast dual lane highway directly into multiple croos streets is completly stupid and extreamly dangerous.. The useless cu*t's at city hall should all be keelhauled... And the wan*ers who double park their cars/trucks next to the market should all be shot on sight.. Selfish ignorant fuc*s the lot of them... Rant, rant,rant..

Oh and samlors and guys that buy their teerak a car without checking whether she knows how to drive at a reasonable speed should be burnt at the stake too.... :D

Helmet laws ?.... They have helmet laws ? :D:D

Edited by Pdaz

>>A drop of rain <<

Hardly ,it was a full on tropical storm .

Yes, and where I live, they just spent 12,900,000baht installing sewage pipes and a new road and it was just a flooded as before!

Could that possibly be because sewage pipes are to carry sewage and not rain water run off????

I live off Soi Khaw Noi and it took me 3 hours to get home from Jomtien beach yesterday. Yeah, there was some flooding on Sukhumvit, but along my route I didn't see more than a foot of water at any point, surely not enough to result in a total traffic stoppage. I didn't use the relief road on the railroad tracks; I couldn't even if I wanted to because the traffic was backed up into Sukhumvit at all of the intersections that connect Sukhumvit to the relief road. I eventually made my way to the Central Road intersection, made a U-turn only then to form up in the long line to make the left turn on to Soi Khaw Noi.

I agree that the relief road as it was constructed (still not completed mind you), is a total disaster. I had been telling my wife all along that it will be a total mess if they don't install operational traffic lights. What's the excuse for it? It can't be that they didn't have time because its taken forever for them to construct this road. They would start working on it then nothing for months then begin working again. Also, don't just blame the heavy downpour for the traffic problems; this is a daily occurrence late afternoon, early evening at the intersections along this relief road. The new exit off of Highway 7 crossing the relief road and entering Sukhumvit in the vicinity of Pattaya Nua will not help with traffic flow on Sukhumvit unless they plan for additional exits off of this road or Highway 7 to gain access to the east side of Pattaya. I would have preferred this new exit to have extended further south past Jomtien or at least past Lotus with multiple exits to the east side Soi's.

I generally don't like to drive around Pattaya that often on a Saturday, especially to Jomtien beach, but we had in-laws visiting from up north, leaving today, and wanted to go to the beach before they go back home. Otherwise, I would have only known about the Sukhomvit chaos through this website.

Pattayadavid

It won't help, but it will be years before it hinders. What you see now is about as much as there is gonna be for a couple of years

But the total absence of police presence at known points of congestion FOLLOWING the storm was NOT the result of "natural causes." It was the direct result of "the 3 I's"!

More likely a direct result of 'f@cked if I'm going out in that, it's p1ssing down'

Edited by PattayaParent

I think that was the first makpr flooding this year, and despite all well intended comments, you should remember that we are in a subtropical country with some times extremely heavy rain. Over the years I think the situation improved, but Saturday was very heavy rain in the morning and afternoon. Simply to much and flooding exists even in BKK, not only Pattaya!

moo9 - close but no cigar, sukumvit flooded about 80% the amount it did on Saturday, about 2-3 times in the last month. didn't last as long as it did on Saturday, but still shut down the road. (my office has a view of the flood section of the road)

also, the soi's flood heavier than the main road. soi arunotai up towards sukumvit floods quite well, and sukumvit soi's near pattaya tai flood too. arunothai floods cause its down stream from sukumvit, and the sukumvit sois flood cause they are all on hills and the drainage is useless.

there's drains on both sides of the road, the left side is overflowing and flooding the road, while the right side is almost empty and the water is flowing into there.

Edited by foxxx

It was exceptional yesterday wasnt it,. we went out and got caught in it, thought we were going to have to get a boat to get home, dear me,.however its no use complaining, we are in their country and must fit in i suppose, but it does seem that the roads and drainage system here is worse than 10 years ago when we first came,. Peter and i are adding a canoe to our modes of transport now ! :o

should see the easykart kart track, it's lower than the road and the road floods in a 30 min downpour, we had a beer there and watched the road flood, then the drainage overflow and flood the track...
To be honest i found it quite exciting, but i did feel sorry for the poor souls whos homes and businesses were flooded,. :o