Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ulysses G.

And Mexican chiles originally come from Bolivia. Bananas aren't Thai either, neither are tomatoes, pumpkin and many other commonly used food items.

Other foodstuffs that originally came from the Americas include corn, potatoes and avocados.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Mexican restaurant can claim to serve food representative of all of Mexico (TexMex and CalMex aside!) All any restaurant can hope to do is serve food that is liked by the majority of people who eat there. I guess in that respect Miguels does pretty well. I would prefer a little more lime and heat, but I think most people here like it the way it is.

If "most people here like it the way it is", there wouldn't be 122 posts (not counting the dozens deleted). My problem, as others have mentioned is their claim "REAL Mexican" food. It's "Cal-Mex", leaning towards Taco Bell, so I guess that makes it an American restaurant?

It's a successful restaurant, so they must be doing something right. But so is McDonald's.

Great! Some really interesting posts have recently been made, one of which notes that Mexican food can be quite different from one region of the country to another. But there is one country-wide dish. It is called "Montezuma's Revenge." It is dished up with Diphenoxylate and Atropine on the side. Works every time!

No Mexican restaurant can claim to serve food representative of all of Mexico (TexMex and CalMex aside!) All any restaurant can hope to do is serve food that is liked by the majority of people who eat there. I guess in that respect Miguels does pretty well. I would prefer a little more lime and heat, but I think most people here like it the way it is.

If "most people here like it the way it is", there wouldn't be 122 posts (not counting the dozens deleted). My problem, as others have mentioned is their claim "REAL Mexican" food. It's "Cal-Mex", leaning towards Taco Bell, so I guess that makes it an American restaurant?

It's a successful restaurant, so they must be doing something right. But so is McDonald's.

The same as the thousands of Indian restaurants in the UK should be called English Restaurants as they are in no way authentic :)

The same as the thousands of Indian restaurants in the UK should be called English Restaurants as they are in no way authentic :)

But they are dam_n good! :D

The same as the thousands of Indian restaurants in the UK should be called English Restaurants as they are in no way authentic :D

Surely Indian restaurants (or "curry houses") in the UK are authentic to the Westernised Indian menu which is recognised in its own right. :)

I agree with el jefe, Miguels should change what they say in their advertising.

Rgds

The same as the thousands of Indian restaurants in the UK should be called English Restaurants as they are in no way authentic :D

Surely Indian restaurants (or "curry houses") in the UK are authentic to the Westernised Indian menu which is recognised in its own right. :)

I agree with el jefe, Miguels should change what they say in their advertising.

Rgds

Change it to what though, 'fake Mexican food' wouldn't be to good for business :D

Personally if I go to a restaurant [good or bad ] that serves tacos, burritos, fajita's etc, I'd describe it as Mexican restaurant.

It's about as real as your going to get in Chiang Mai, 5 years or so back all we had was El Toro's and that was nasty food.

I can't believe I'm prattling on about a Mexican restaurant, way past my bed-time and I'm not even drunk, the wonders of the internet, goodnight :D

that has also been my only real complaint about Miguels, that it is not hot enough. Mexican style food in California is pretty bland and tame by Mexican standards, but Miguels makes CalMex seem hot by comparison.

Now I am NOT bashing Miguels. Just saying that it could use a little more salt / lime / chili in the dishes.

This is constructive criticism and I'm sure that it is welcomed by the restaurant. Personally, I prefer mildly spicy food, but surely it cannot be that difficult to whip up an extra spicy salsa for fire eaters.

Last time I was there all dishes came with hot salsa on the side, salt shakers on the table too. And sliced fresh lime on request. Season to taste, easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I was hallucinating in the heat today or not but I was sure that I saw a sign on Thanon Nimmanhaeman for a new Miguels Mexican Restaurant on the West? side of the street (on the left as you are driving towards Thanon Suthep). However when I drove back in the opposite direction, I couldn't find it. Is here a new Miguel's in town???

The rumor I heard was that is a "Miguel's Express", but I am not sure of what that consists of.

Miguel's Express means that it is so hot that it works its way through your system in 1/3 rd the time of regular meals....

hence express..... this way on a regular basis you are able to eat 3 times as much.... Good marketing...

Just kidding :)

ps.... don't forget..... Johnny Cash..... and ring of fire

Not sure if I was hallucinating in the heat today or not but I was sure that I saw a sign on Thanon Nimmanhaeman for a new Miguels Mexican Restaurant on the West? side of the street (on the left as you are driving towards Thanon Suthep). However when I drove back in the opposite direction, I couldn't find it. Is here a new Miguel's in town???

No hallucination, unfortunately. The sign has been there for well over a month. But you do have your east and west confused. It's between Sois 9 and 11 on the east side of Nimmanhaemin (for the directionally challenged, look away from the mountain). I'd rather have a Taco Bell.

No hallucination, unfortunately. The sign has been there for well over a month. But you do have your east and west confused. It's between Sois 9 and 11 on the east side of Nimmanhaemin (for the directionally challenged, look away from the mountain). I'd rather have a Taco Bell.

Is it open?

After 2 years here I still can't figure out East from West. :) I get a little thrown off mainly because using Doi Suthep to get my bearings, it's not really due North but more like Northwest.

Is it open?

After 2 years here I still can't figure out East from West. :) I get a little thrown off mainly because using Doi Suthep to get my bearings, it's not really due North but more like Northwest.

East/west is the same around the world. ;-)

Miguel's wasn't open as of last week. Haven't been past since (I'm out of town). Nor do I care, but I can't avoid the sign.