Chiang Mai Airport Beseiged But Open And Operational

photojourn

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An elected government can do more damage than a terrorist mob holding the country hostage?

Just think about what would happen to the country if the elected government rehabiliates Thaksin and makes him the Prime Minister?

Unfortunately at the moment I can't think of any other, non WWII comparison to make a point about Chiang Mai being safe as long as you are not yellow.

An elected government can do more damage than a terrorist mob holding the country hostage?

Just think about what would happen to the country if the elected government rehabiliates Thaksin and makes him the Prime Minister?

Do you really have to swallow /every/ PAD hyperbole hook, line and sinker? What if. What if that would require a constitutional change that's very hard to get through parliament, not to mention the legal ramifications. Honestly, this is not something that can happen on a Thursday afternoon.

It's really sad that I have to explain this, but Thaksin was NOT on the PPP list of candidates in the last election in case you missed that. Therefore he can simply not become PM without new elections at the very least, and that's AFTER they find away around him being banned for 5 years, (admittedly under a drummed up military drafted constitution), but the point is that this is nowhere near any kind of reality.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't think of any other, non WWII comparison to make a point about Chiang Mai being safe as long as you are not yellow.

That statement could easily be color-swapped and apply to Bangkok and/or the South. Either way I think we can agree that the situation is not helped by both mobs, no matter what color they wear.

> Since people like to use WW2-analogies in your crowd (even if it's more nazi-references than anything else

Reference was by Plus. He's distinctly not in my crowd. Fortunately the comment was edited out.

I don't see the benefit in continuing this type of discussion.

No, it wasn't. I was refereeing to the post in the other thread that compared Sondhi to Hitler...

I see that at least one poster on another thread is under the mistaken impression that CM airport is closed, which no doubt is due to the misleading title of this thread. Something like 'CM Airport Surrounded: pro-government supporters rally to keep it open', would be a more accurate title Would the moderators care to make this change? It does no good for the credibility of the forum when one or two of them let their prejudices show.

I see that at least one poster on another thread is under the mistaken impression that CM airport is closed, which no doubt is due to the misleading title of this thread. Something like 'CM Airport Surrounded: pro-government supporters rally to keep it open', would be a more accurate title Would the moderators care to make this change? It does no good for the credibility of the forum when one or two of them let their prejudices show.

yes a big twin jet just took off from here 20 minutes ago and headed south

Do you really have to swallow /every/ PAD hyperbole hook, line and sinker? What if. What if that would require a constitutional change that's very hard to get through parliament, not to mention the legal ramifications.

1. Weng's proposal is that the coutnry reverts to 1997 constitution and everything that has happened since then is nullified - everything.

2. Do you want me to dig up PPP MP quote where he said their goal is to reinstate Thaksin?

3. Do you want me to point you to the latest "I'm back in politics" declaration from Thaksin himself?

Taiwan's China Airlines is planning an extra flight out of Chiang Mai Friday afternoon for Taiwanese who got stuck in Bkk.

Hope CM airport and the roads from Bkk are alright. Here in the Taiwan media, they're basically recommending people stuck in Bkk move out to Phuket or CM to get out of the country.

Taiwan's China Airlines is planning an extra flight out of Chiang Mai Friday afternoon for Taiwanese who got stuck in Bkk.

Hope CM airport and the roads from Bkk are alright. Here in the Taiwan media, they're basically recommending people stuck in Bkk move out to Phuket or CM to get out of the country.

As suggested before, I hope the PAD would not shut down the BKK- Chiang Mai highway which a stupid excuses like, to stop MP from getting to CM. A couple of months back, PAD have managed to block the southern highway before.

They managed to bugger up Phuket airport a few months back so I can see where they easily repeat that feat and do the same in CM. All of a sudden (?) we have 100% airport lockdown in LOS.

I reckon Udon Thani International will then become a major hub and Laoairways will lay on more frequent and larger planes on their route to Luangprabang.

An escape tunnel has also been started under the bed in the maids room here....

They managed to bugger up Phuket airport a few months back so I can see where they easily repeat that feat and do the same in CM. All of a sudden (?) we have 100% airport lockdown in LOS.

Bite your tongue.

Phuket has seen a significant downturn in numbers, but has been expecting good business this Christmas. If anything disrupts Dec-Jan, that's it for alot of businesses in Phuket. I am certainly glad I am not in that business, I'd have had a coronary by now or consumed all the booze in my bar.

Just spent 6 hours at Chiang Mai International airport and everything is going and coming on time. No air service to Bangkok of course but departures to Phuket, Mai Hong Son, Pie, Laos and KL and Singapore

are leaving on time. Check with travel agent about available seats.

No yellow or red shirts seen :o Plenty of travel help from the Tourist Police Vols and staff from bus and hotel services to assist. Normal day

of operations just many more tourists seeking help with travel most

to south. VIP bus to Bangkok leaves airport every few hours until 8 PM

change for bus to Phuket or Samui in Bangers. Hope this helps.

Been watching CNN and the reporter from Bangkok Airport said " and gangs of red shirts are roaming the streets of Chiang Mai " what a load of crap, TAT shoud file a deformation suit against CNN for

irresponsible reporting. The only "gang" that I saw was a high school marching band going around the moat, a delight, they played rather well. A P.S. to above, the travelers at the airport were good natured and glad to see people that could help them in there native language. All is calm in CM. If anyone on TV sees a gang of red shirts roaming the streets please post and I will retract.

Been watching CNN and the reporter from Bangkok Airport said " and gangs of red shirts are roaming the streets of Chiang Mai " what a load of crap, TAT shoud file a deformation suit against CNN for

irresponsible reporting. The only "gang" that I saw was a high school marching band going around the moat, a delight, they played rather well. A P.S. to above, the travelers at the airport were good natured and glad to see people that could help them in there native language. All is calm in CM. If anyone on TV sees a gang of red shirts roaming the streets please post and I will retract.

Yes that's a complete load of bull. I've been all over CM today and I've not seen a single person in a red t-shirt, let alone gangs of 'em. Same last night, I was in town until pretty late, not a hint of a problem.

The only red shirts I've noticed recently have been the occasional uniform of the girls at the No. 1 Bar. And I wouldn't advise PAD to mix it with them :o .

Unbelievable reporting if he/she really said that.

Does PAD have enough support in CM to shut down its airport?

No.

Correct.

MODS! Will you PLEASE change the utterly misleading title of this thread?? See the most recent posts!!

I drove through Wing 41 road this evening (FRIDAY the 28th) at 5.00pm. All was totally normal. No extra security. No 'special defences'. No-one hanging around. On the ground it was business as usual and I witnessed 2 planes, one THAI jet going and another coming in.

This situation is painful and volatile enough without screaming inaccuracies as thread titles!

With respect to the airport that's correct - however out at Government House in Mae Rim where Somchai is holed up, and at the Warorot Hotel where a big demo is scheduled to begin today with redshirts being shipped in from afar, and in the light of 'rumours' that busloads of yellowshirts are on their way up from down south (can't muster enough support locally), there is trouble brewing.

All sorts of rumours last night of an impending coup, but it was pretty obvious that no one really had much of a clue about what is going on in the pro-government camp at least...

3066201338_44621361b6_o.jpg

The pro-government crowds late last night in Chiang Mai ....

Any latest info about Chiang Mai Airport? China Airlines will start flying AMS<>BKK<>Taipei again from Sunday on, but using Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok! I am on the first flight in. So I would be gratefull for any info about the situation at Chiang Mai airport

Any latest info about Chiang Mai Airport? China Airlines will start flying AMS<>BKK<>Taipei again from Sunday on, but using Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok! I am on the first flight in. So I would be gratefull for any info about the situation at Chiang Mai airport

I was at Chiang Mai Airport twice today... no sign of anything... no red-shirts, no yellow-shirts, no problems, business as usual! have you booked accommodation in Chiang Mai? (shameless self promotion :o )

I see that the title has been changed but that the Mod involved still couldn't bring himself to remove the obvious bias. CM airport is not and never was besieged. I suppose if people want to look silly that is their affair but it makes the forum look very lightweight.

I was at Chiang Mai Airport twice today... no sign of anything... no red-shirts, no yellow-shirts, no problems, business as usual! have you booked accommodation in Chiang Mai? (shameless self promotion :o )

Nope as I want to go to BKK asap. I life in BKK .... and although I like CM I do not want to visit this time. But PM me your place maybe another time this or next year!

Nope as I want to go to BKK asap. I life in BKK .... and although I like CM I do not want to visit this time. But PM me your place maybe another time this or next year!

I see, well if you need someone to meet you at the airport and run to to the train or bus station, give me a yell...

agree, poor show indeed..

my neighbour works as VIP meet and greet at the airport... i havent seen him change his routine at all.. he still looks as bored as ever to go to work, and rolls back home just as drunk as ever... :o

bless Chiang Mai! Its great!

Edited by SomNamNah

Not everything is calm in Chiang mai. Have you heard of the reds killing the father of the guy with the radiostation? It is dangerous to wear yellow in Chiangmai. Me and my wife were in a minivan which transport patients from the parking to suan dok hospital and heard all the shit on the "red shirt radio". The driver was a red supporter. They were phoning in to direct thugs to people wearing yellow and they were talking about killing and shooting. It was very scary.

I know a lot of people here who are pro PAD but it's impossible to talk to the other side. They talk like kill them all and drop a bomb on the PAD. The PAD people never talk like this but many of them including my wife want to go to Bangkok because of their believe and are ready to get killed. I almost had a divorce when I talked my wife out of it. She already, as many others here, has send money to PAD for support.

So if it's quiet in Chiang mai it is so because the people don't dare to wear yellow. It's fear.

from the nation

In Chiang Mai, several pickup trucks filled with progovernment crowds were driven to a number of crowded public places rousing the people to take the law into their hands and attack the yellowshirt protesters and their supporters.

In the message, people have been encouraged to identify and shut down businesses and shops run by or linked to the protesters led by The People's Alliance for Democracy.

On Friday's night, a number of redshirt men forced a noodle vendor at Nong Hoy market to close down on the ground for watching the antigovernment programmed aired by ASTV satellite station.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/30...es_30089815.php

nice people this reds. they are here for democracy, Taksins democracy.

from the nation

In Chiang Mai, several pickup trucks filled with progovernment crowds were driven to a number of crowded public places rousing the people to take the law into their hands and attack the yellowshirt protesters and their supporters.

In the message, people have been encouraged to identify and shut down businesses and shops run by or linked to the protesters led by The People's Alliance for Democracy.

On Friday's night, a number of redshirt men forced a noodle vendor at Nong Hoy market to close down on the ground for watching the antigovernment programmed aired by ASTV satellite station.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/30...es_30089815.php

nice people this reds. they are here for democracy, Taksins democracy.

Indeed, and that is the crucial bit of it all. They say that PAD is against democracy, but the other side isn't PRO it in any more shape and form. But they are in power and can do some real damage. Hence why some of us want to see PPP removed - but that doesn't mean we want what PAD wants. Same direction, not same goal.