Repair Laptop Cd-rom Drive

djeetyet

My laptop's internal CD-ROM drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4244N) has basically stopped working. It's an HP Compaq Presario V5102NR. I'm getting quotes of 2,000B-3,500B for a new one. Has anyone in the Pattaya area had a DVD/CD drive repaired? Any stories about repairing or replacing CD/DVD drives?

Thanks!

You should be able to get a replacement internal one for less than that, assuming it's a standard, removable laptop drive. (Take it with you when shopping to ensure the connectors are the same.)

An external drive may work too, but I'm not sure you'd be able to boot from it if you had a hard disk problem.

You should be able to get a replacement internal one for less than that, assuming it's a standard, removable laptop drive. An external drive may work too, but I'm not sure you'd be able to boot from it if you had a hard disk problem.

It is a standard removable laptop drive, but the lowest quote I've gotten here in Pattaya is about 2,000B. Frustrating.

My BIOS doesn't have an option to boot from the USB port, so that's a worry if/when my HD dies. I think I'll just have to pay the Baht for an internal and hope it works OK.

Any specific places/prices in the Pattaya area would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is a standard removable laptop drive, but the lowest quote I've gotten here in Pattaya is about 2,000B. Frustrating.

That same drive is currently selling on eBay for (most instances) just around 800- 1,000 baht. Add in shipping to Thailand and the 2,000 baht they're charging you to replace it here isn't far off the mark.