Honda Competition For The D-tracker?

skybluestu

Richard has made some cryptic comments concerning an all new 230cc motard from Honda..

Thats what I seem to remember through the hints...

The CBF250 doesnt seem to have picked up an import channel.. Seem to remember mention of Honda using the VTR250 as a possible also..

Actually Honda has had a s/motard in the shape of Honda xr250 sm since 2001,,but its been for the Japanese home market,.this would be the match for the kawasaki, however like most things in thailand it will take forever /if ever to get here,.and actually as its made in japan ill doubt it ever shows, no, more of a comparison is the honda xr250 tornado, its a budget version built in brazil and $2399 new there,.( drum rear brake !Hon.XR250L.SM.Blk.2006.jpg

post-62885-1229857763_thumb.jpg

Edited by imaneggspurt

@LivinLOS,

Hold the idea of a 250cc from Honda, a single 250 with PGM-FI is surely coming... Actual I belief that Honda has more idea's about 250cc models what mix up the whole rumor feed. To piston size I have the idea that Honda is going for a one cylinder, which is expected to be less expensive then a Honda Phantom (80,000 to 85,000 Baht), a two cylinder, which will be targeted as a Kawasaki Ninja 250R alternative, and as last a 250cc powerhouse.. a 4 cylinder with PGM-FI and all the latest ... performance not that far from what you would expect from a CBR600RR.

@LivinLOS,

Hold the idea of a 250cc from Honda, a single 250 with PGM-FI is surely coming... Actual I belief that Honda has more idea's about 250cc models what mix up the whole rumor feed. To piston size I have the idea that Honda is going for a one cylinder, which is expected to be less expensive then a Honda Phantom (80,000 to 85,000 Baht), a two cylinder, which will be targeted as a Kawasaki Ninja 250R alternative, and as last a 250cc powerhouse.. a 4 cylinder with PGM-FI and all the latest ... performance not that far from what you would expect from a CBR600RR.

Richard-Bkk. Any info on the time frame for a 250 from honda?

The official information from Honda Thailand is no info, they official statement is even they will confirm a 250cc motorcycle. But from the engineering side of the company I know they have developed a PGM-FI for a single Cylinder 250cc. And a spokes person who did not wanted to get into the 250cc I was willing to say that all PGM-FI se products Honda Thailand...

Edited by Richard-BKK

It makes sense - it will have to be FI otherwise it won't pass the stringent emission standards in Thailand. If it's made in Thailand, it will compete on price, I'd imagine since they already make the CBR150 here it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them.

I just don't know why they would not want to say anything beforehand - after all if they did a press release they might get some people to stop buying a D-Tracker and wait for the Honda. It would seem like the only reason would be it's pretty far off...

@LivinLOS,

Any idea about what type of weight they'd be able to trim that CBR 250RRRRR down to? Reason being is that the CBR 600 is such a flyweight that the upgraded baby blade would have to be a featherweight to keep the same price/performance index.

I just don't know why they would not want to say anything beforehand - after all if they did a press release they might get some people to stop buying a D-Tracker and wait for the Honda. It would seem like the only reason would be it's pretty far off...

I understand what you're saying, but then again, if Honda Thailand is run the way Kawasaki Thailand is, then it might explain the deafening silence from Honda marketing and PR. Give you an example- other than a booth at the Motor Show, Kawasaki Thailand never promoted the Ninja 250R, D-Tracker or KLX prior to their release. And even after they became available for sale Kawasaki did very little in the way of advertising or promotion. Most recently, when Kawasaki sponsored a booth at the Chiang Mai Bike Week they only displayed 3 bikes! (4 if you count the KSR) Kawasaki plans to start selling the ZX10R and ER-6N in 2009 but didn't have either on display at their booth. How silly is that? People in the market for an R1 or FZ6 might have thought twice if they knew Kawasaki was bringing some competition. Ah well, TiT after all! :D:D:o