Restauarant In Pattayaland

Turnkey

I recently went with a group of friends for a meal at the Amor restaurant in Pattayaland. Everything went OK until shortly after our meals started to be delivered and I noticed a cockroach racing around the restaurant floor and then onto and up one of the walls. Later one in our group noticed another of these disease riddled creatures coming out under the door of the kitchen area. I asked to speak to the Manager(a large obese westerner) who rather than apoligise or do anything, made some stupid unfunny remark about serving the cockroach in a Tom Yum soup.

Will not be going to this restaurant ever again.

Have others had similar experiences with this place?

I recently went with a group of friends for a meal at the Amor restaurant in Pattayaland. Everything went OK until shortly after our meals started to be delivered and I noticed a cockroach racing around the restaurant floor and then onto and up one of the walls. Later one in our group noticed another of these disease riddled creatures coming out under the door of the kitchen area. I asked to speak to the Manager(a large obese westerner) who rather than apoligise or do anything, made some stupid unfunny remark about serving the cockroach in a Tom Yum soup.

Will not be going to this restaurant ever again.

Have others had similar experiences with this place?

The manager is insufferable. Even if there were no roaches, he would be enough reason to avoid this place.

I don't like that restaurant and I don't think the owner is as funny as he thinks he is but I do think it is unfair to single out this one restaurant for roaches. I see many kinds of bugs in many kinds of restaurants in town. If people avoided every restaurant for bug reasons alone, they would have very few dining choices. What exactly did you expect the owner to do? Comp your meal? Get out a can of Raid and spray your table? So you won't go again, you know it, he knows it. He has a built in custom of naive tourists who eat there for the prime people watching location anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Incidentally this the place with the TV advert that says "step inside the wonderful world of Amor......before you leave you'll be planning your next visit". Reckon he might want to re-record that last bit.

No need to cut. Add.

step inside the wonderful world of Amor......before you leave you'll be planning your next visit ... to the TOILET

Sounds like own of the owner's jokes, too, huh?

Edited by Jingthing

You would be amazed to know in which places you find cockroaches in Thailand. They are everywhere, guess even in 5 star restaurants...(and certainly in night time entertainment venues, as I observed the cockroaches running on the floor right next to your feet).

:o

once had a massage done on floor mats. saw a few big roaches running around. the masseuse try to squash them but couldn't. not plannong on floor massages anymore.

i saw a roach running along the frozen meat counter at Makro in chon Buri./

wasnt there a scene in the movie Victoria/Victor where jule andrews plants a roach in a salad in a paris restaurant to try to get a free meal?

Many years ago I was eating at the premier fish head curry restaurant in Kepple Road, Singapore, my friend who had been in Asia for many years kept pulling cockroach legs out of his curry and even one from what he was chewing, I was horrified, :o But now after 25 years of living in Asia I just look on and say "so whats the big deal?"

Best you dont know about the cockroach problem reported on one of the premier UK cruise ships refits then - seemingly they were 15" deep and dead on a roof tile directly above the kitchen - sometimes your better of not knowing about how insect ridden some places are. Having said that my condo in BKK seems to have spurts of them as they come out of the woodwork no matter how often the condo guys get in spray teams and I seem to use heaps of spray every week. Once they are in - they seem to be in forever.

Unfortunately, bugs, rats, and mice, are usually beyond the control of both owners and managers of public premises…even one’s home.

Sometimes weekly exterminator services can lessen the impact of bugs, rats and mice.

But usually not------bugs and vermin always seem to reappear no matter what one does.

If or when a bug or a rat makes its presence known is beyond the control of anyone.

Now relating to your post----If you complained about either the food or the service of the restaurant, you have some credibility. After all, any customer, no matter how dimwitted or unsophisticated he or she may be, has a right to express his or her opinion about a meal and/or the service attendant to that meal. It’s your money --- you have a right to be satisfied or dissatisfied and express your opinion accordingly.

But to focus on a cockroach and the man’s embarrassment on having to explain away its presence AND feeling it necessary to post about it on ThaiVisa – Well – this evidence shows me that you must be as miserable a human being in Pattaya as you were in your native country.

I hold the same opinion for all the posters who have nothing better to do than to post derogatory remarks about Pattayaland, Pattaya generally, Thailand, Thais and life on this planet…

You all have had a second chance in life---- But what do I see by your posts? I see you are now as miserable and as unhappy as you were before you came to Pattaya.

And how do you express your “anger”--- your “unhappiness”?

Through your posts. Negative – Negative - Negative

Stop trying to be “happy” by trying to make other people unhappy, wising people the worst, laughing at people, and hoping for another person’s destruction (business or individually).

This thread is a microcosm of many threads I have read….laughing, cajoling and enjoying the misery of another person’s mistakes.

If this is the totality of the way in which you see the world – “your world” – then I pity you.

You can control roaches and other vermin. Not difficult but quite a bit of work!

Good hygiene and most importantly, keep all foodstuff in sealed boxes.

Once a month get pest control in, they have to use a fumigator, nut just some spray cans, or the bigger hand pump pressurized vaporizers. The latter two only attack the area's you actually spray, a fumigator simply inundates the place with chemical.

Admittedly it's a heck of a job as it leaves your kitchen in a right mess. Takes about 30 minutes for the pest control to do my kitchen, and about 4 hours with 2 maids and the cook to get the kitchen squeaky clean again...

Unfortunately, bugs, rats, and mice, are usually beyond the control of both owners and managers of public premises…even one's home.

Sometimes weekly exterminator services can lessen the impact of bugs, rats and mice.

But usually not------bugs and vermin always seem to reappear no matter what one does.

If or when a bug or a rat makes its presence known is beyond the control of anyone.

Now relating to your post----If you complained about either the food or the service of the restaurant, you have some credibility. After all, any customer, no matter how dimwitted or unsophisticated he or she may be, has a right to express his or her opinion about a meal and/or the service attendant to that meal. It's your money --- you have a right to be satisfied or dissatisfied and express your opinion accordingly.

But to focus on a cockroach and the man's embarrassment on having to explain away its presence AND feeling it necessary to post about it on ThaiVisa – Well – this evidence shows me that you must be as miserable a human being in Pattaya as you were in your native country.

I hold the same opinion for all the posters who have nothing better to do than to post derogatory remarks about Pattayaland, Pattaya generally, Thailand, Thais and life on this planet…

You all have had a second chance in life---- But what do I see by your posts? I see you are now as miserable and as unhappy as you were before you came to Pattaya.

And how do you express your "anger"--- your "unhappiness"?

Through your posts. Negative – Negative - Negative

Stop trying to be "happy" by trying to make other people unhappy, wising people the worst, laughing at people, and hoping for another person's destruction (business or individually).

This thread is a microcosm of many threads I have read….laughing, cajoling and enjoying the misery of another person's mistakes.

If this is the totality of the way in which you see the world – "your world" – then I pity you.

I think it's not fair to judge the OP on the fact that he might be (or not) a bad person because he is complaining about the presence of cockroaches.

A lot of restaurants in Pattaya do have a Western outlook, Western management, Western cook, Western kitchen, Western quality and with all this Western...........you do NOT expect cockroaches running around and therefore, I can imagine that the OP was slightly disappointed, especially after the managers response.

If I eat my lunch at a Thai restaurant, I don't like the sight of a CR, but it can be expected.

Edited by farangpattaya

Once a month get pest control in, they have to use a fumigator, nut just some spray cans, or the bigger hand pump pressurized vaporizers. The latter two only attack the area's you actually spray, a fumigator simply inundates the place with chemical.

It's the chemicals that you don't want in a commercial kitchen.

Boric acid powder..it is non toxic to humans but does destroy cockroaches. Spread it in areas that you know the cockroaches roam through frequently.... under sinks, refrigerators, ovens, behind cupboards etc. When roaches walk through it it sticks to them..they carry it back to their nest..they lick it off themselves and when they do it stops their digestion from working...they can't digest..they die.