Beggars & The Homeless In Buriram City

ClaytonSeymour

Well, it's been over a year since we were last here in Buriram & I can't help but notice that there appears to have been a significant rise in the number of beggars & (especially) homeless people, on the streets of Buriram City. The area around the 7 eleven on Sunthorntep Road is particularly bad, last night I called in their with the wife & on our exit, we were immediately accosted, by a rather persistent, very rough looking chap, who followed us to the car, I gave him 10 baht & thought that was it, however, he then headed round to the wife's (drivers) side & started to wai (unsuccessfully) for more.

It's undeniable that we are in difficult times, but, this is something I've never really associated with this area, indeed, even the Wife is surprised by all of this, yet the sister-in-law tells us it's been getting like it for a while.

As anyone else noticed this? Should we be worried that this could escalate into increased crime & farangs in this area will be increasingly targeted as is the case in other areas i.e. Phuket.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts & comments.