Burapa Pattaya Bike Week 2009

RusticCharm

But if there's a consensus among most to leave earlier, then I may just take the day off work.

So, haven't heard anything about taking a day off (try maybe a half day as I will :o ), thus I assume we keep a.m. timing. Is it agreeable to target 4:30 as departure time rather than meeting time?

Might not be able to access the internet for the next three days, but back on Thursday which will suffice to do last minute adjustments.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas on where / when to meet up over the weekend? It would be good to put faces and bikes to names :o

In another thread I suggested putting up a ThaiVisa sign (in a place near a large beer dispenser, with food stalls and toilets nearby). Not sure I'll have time to do anything like that myself though.

The departure time is crazy, traffic will be buzz-balling all over the place.
Well, it's Bangkok, traffic will be 'buzz-balling all over the place' no matter what the time of day but obviously feel free to depart anytime you like.

I've just realized this Friday I have exams so I can't take the day off but I'll run by BITEC to see if anyone's there.

Edited by RusticCharm

If I'm going I'll likely be travelling the day earlier to settle into Patters. The departure time is crazy, traffic will be buzz-balling all over the place.

2.30pm is perhaps more agreeable?

2:30 is MUCH more agreeable! Where would you like to meet and which way would you like to go? I would like to take the 304 to Chacheongsao and avoid the madness on Bang Na - Trat and Sukhumvit. I have to stop in Chonburi to hook up with some friends from the Friend Highway Club and we'll ride the rest of the way together from there.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Who is leaving Saturday morning?

Jan

I'm pretty sure I'm going down Friday afternoon, but for any Kawasaki bikers the Kawasaki Big Bike Showroom on Rama 9 is organizing a BIG group ride from the Bangkok showroom to the new Pattaya Mityon showroom, leaving at 0800. They are estimating several hundred bikes will participate. I'd love to join them but already made plans to meet friends on Friday...

Happy Trails!

Tony

So, just to confirm, who will be at BITEC at 4.30pm tomorrow?

Will be there!

Still possible to meet earlier for me, but from what I read not possible for some others. PM me if you want to go for a coffee at Thonlor earlier.

See ya! :o

Any ideas on where / when to meet up over the weekend? It would be good to put faces and bikes to names :o

In another thread I suggested putting up a ThaiVisa sign (in a place near a large beer dispenser, with food stalls and toilets nearby). Not sure I'll have time to do anything like that myself though.

Can some take ownership of this idea....Good one! I won't be arriving until saturday though...

Chris

Some people asked WHERE the event actually will take place :o

From the official TAT link

http://www.tourismthailand.org/festival-ev...ntent-5797.html

you can read that "On the following day [= Feb 13], the event moves to the grounds of Pattaya's Indoor sports stadium on Soi Chaiyapruk, off Sukhumvit Road."

Which I assume is here:

post-63056-1234451427_thumb.jpg

So, for those unable to make it to the meeting points on Thonglor or Bitec on Friday, see you THERE. :D

sorry everybody, but i had an exident on sunday 9th. On highway 3 a burmese motorbike took my right of way. Since I am in icu, hurt my vocal and throat, break my wrist and lower jaw. 4 month no riding.

I hope u had a good time in Pattaya and we will meet at the next bike weekend somewhere around.

Reimund

sorry everybody, but i had an exident on sunday 9th. On highway 3 a burmese motorbike took my right of way. Since I am in icu, hurt my vocal and throat, break my wrist and lower jaw. 4 month no riding.

I hope u had a good time in Pattaya and we will meet at the next bike weekend somewhere around.

Reimund

Shit! Were you riding on your own? Hope you have a speedy recovery.

RC

Hey guys! Glad to hear everyone (except Reimund :D ) had a good time at the Pattaya Burapa Rally.

021409BurapaZm.jpg

Man that was a big rally! I'd planned to ride down on Friday but got delayed so decided to ride down on Saturday morning with the Kawasaki Riders Club. We met at the Rama 9 Big Bike showroom in Bangers and headed down to Pattaya via Rayong for the Burapa Rally and Grand Opening of Kawasaki Mityon. Really fun group- about 20 bikes, all Thais except me, and Jim caught up with us later in Pattaya; a mix of Ninja 250Rs, D-Trackers, Vulcan 900s and ER-6n's. Here we are gathering on Saturday morning-

021409KwackerAM.jpg

The kind folks at Kawasaki had coffee and breakfast waiting for us. :o

021409KwackerAM1.jpg

We hit the road just after 9am and made a number of stops on the way to Pattaya to have more Kawasaki riders join the group.

021409KwackerAM3Sm.jpg

K. Chan led the ride on an ER-6n and it was fun to see him throw the bike around. (He's a racer and also teaches stunt riding, so very fun to watch and learn from)

021409KwackerGasStop3Zm.jpg

Took the Bang Na-Trat road- it's TERRIBLE and I don't know why they chose to go that way... So many trucks and filthy polluted air. Never again!

021409KwackerGasStop.jpg

Everyone seems very pleased with the new ER-6n. I chased one guy at speeds reaching 210km and I have to say that that is not a very comfortable speed on a naked bike- the wind pressure and noise are tremendous. I'm told the bike can go 220km/hr but honestly I see no need to go that fast on Thai roads.

We rode towards Rayong, looping back towards Pattaya via Silver Lake where we had lunch-

021409SilverLake.jpg

What a beautiful spot!

021409SilverLake6Sm.jpg

Really nice guys-

021409SilverLakeTonyGun1Zm.jpg

Good food too!

021409SilverLakeLunch1.jpg

Kawasaki officially announced at the Mityon Grand Opening that the ER-6f will launch in August of this year, but price is not yet set.

It's late and I'm beat! I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Happy Trails!

Tony

021509GroupPic3Sm.jpg

Nice photos Tony...I was looking for those ER6n's - too many bikes! Here's a few more...

a collection of reprobates: (i'll give up my own face - thats me on the left - the rest can chime in on their own)

PattayaBW012.jpg

dotcom and rustic awaiting the start of the ride around - it was a long wait!

PattayaBW017.jpg

my eyes,,,they're burning.....thank god the guy doesnt own a Ducati..flames on a sport bike :o

PattayaBW020.jpg

Harley Davidson tent (powerstation) was rockin all day and night

PattayaBW037.jpg

Yamaha had a nice display.....

PattayaBW034.jpg

spotted this on the beach..made in canada..no one was around to claim it or talk about it --- ??????

PattayaBW005.jpg

Edited by Netfan

Can-Am Spyder , About 28k Aud back home .

Nice photos Tony...I was looking for those ER6n's - too many bikes! Here's a few more...

a collection of reprobates: (i'll give up my own face - thats me on the left - the rest can chime in on their own)

PattayaBW012.jpg

dotcom and rustic awaiting the start of the ride around - it was a long wait!

PattayaBW017.jpg

my eyes,,,they're burning.....thank god the guy doesnt own a Ducati..flames on a sport bike :o

PattayaBW020.jpg

Harley Davidson tent (powerstation) was rockin all day and night

PattayaBW037.jpg

Yamaha had a nice display.....

PattayaBW034.jpg

spotted this on the beach..made in canada..no one was around to claim it or talk about it --- ??????

PattayaBW005.jpg

Well some of us are back. Rustic & myself.

Gizmo is coming soon. Will post some pics after download.

Had a great time. The ride was awesome. 2 miles at least of 2 abreast riders.

There are a shed load of Harley's in Chon Buri province.

Ride On.

Well, they should have called the bike week chopper week I guess; Rustic and I seemed to be among the very few representing the sports bikes. Was a bit disappointed since neither I wanted to buy Harley shirts nor cowboy hats. Think we have to organize our own event.

The HST-Pirelli Open Track Day however was GREAT and compensated a lot :o

Yeah, I've always been curious as to why the Thais associate big bikes with cowboys and indians..er..'native americans'.

The Yamaha display was pretty good and had some great-looking R1's and the 'pretties' featured a rather buxom pair of twins. I think the likes of Ducati think they're too high-brow for such an event as after talking to the dealers, it appears they have no plans of having a display at bike weeks.

The no3 highway was an interesting ride, very rural and much more preferable than the BangNa-Trat, though I'll try not to detour through Samut Prakan town center next time.

The parade ride around Pattaya was a bit of a nightmare. After a half hour wait in the sun, it was 1st or 2nd gear all the way, though we got a good reception from bystanders, some of them couldn't have been happy at the huge traffic jams we caused.

All-in-all a worthwhile event, Lam Morrison rescued the day after the horrendous screaming heard over the mic during the horsey show, but not a patch on Bang Saen. Why can't Pattaya Bike Week be held in a more scenic location? I'm sure there are a few beaches past Jomtien that could handle it.

And I didn't realise there were so many MC's in Thailand.

Edited by RusticCharm

Yeah, I've always been curious as to why the Thais associate big bikes with cowboys and indians..er..'native americans'.

Yeah always been a bit of a mystery to me too.. The whole thai scene of big bikes seems biased to the cruiser / harley / chopper / cowboy vibe. Hopeful that ducati, triumph, kwaker etc in the market might change the opinion of whats desirable.

Looks like a fun event.