Mulling Buying A Used Volvo Xc 90 And Brand New Fortuner

Metalgear

Also disregard myths of no depreciation for Japanese cars etc, because that only holds true for the first year, after warranties expire their values drop to the same percentage as any other make, i.e. 3 year old CRV's and Fortunas lose 50%.

3 year old Diesel Fortuner for 625,000 baht, where do you find these ?

2006 = 660k

http://www.siammotor.com/siammotornew/deta...?transnum=12634

That's the bottom of the range manual transmission model, cost about 1 Million when new.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I am in a place to comment having owned both.

I had a new XC90 when I was working for a multinational, and there is no doubt it is a fine car. Comfortable, spacious and rode the potholes of Bangkok well.

When I left the company, I was given the option of buying it. The asking price was 1.9mn and it was 2 & a half years old - i.e. 6 months away from the warranty running out. Having had a turbo blow on it and then waiting 3 weeks for parts I chose what I believe was the safe option, I bought the Fortuner.

Yes, it's a bit cruder and yes you feel the bumps a little more, but I was swung by the fact that you are never more than a few miles from a dealer (fake parts or not!). Never regretted the choice.

Now, I'd go for a second hand Fortuner !

- it is a very safe and well built car. Comparing it to a Fortuner is like comparing Yugo (remember?) to a Mercedes-Benz. If you have a family, and if you have a sense of responsibility, by all means take the Volvo, especially if the price is acceptable for you. n case of an accident, in the Volvo you have a chance to survive, in the Fortuner not.

I was just wondering, what makes Toyota unsafe? Lots of people have written this, is there anything specific? Would people put the Hilux in the same category. Are people worried about the cars tipping?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm really keen to get a second hand XC-90 (between 2003-2005) and i was wondering if anyone what kinda of consumption the XC-90 is doing. Also check the volvo website and can't find any info on the XC-60. anyone know that date that it is coming in to Thailand and the price? Sorry for the countless questions :o

To Dominique355: ae you letting go of your 90? if so how much are you asking for?

Thanks!

I know this might not help much but saw at the Volvo dealer in Hatyai they are offering interest free for 5 years. Also they had a C30 it's a 2 door i think 10 airbags what a horny machine I fell in love. I have the money but where i drive the road's would shake it to pieces.

I know this might not help much but saw at the Volvo dealer in Hatyai they are offering interest free for 5 years. Also they had a C30 it's a 2 door i think 10 airbags what a horny machine I fell in love. I have the money but where i drive the road's would shake it to pieces.

First there was the PV544 then its Replacement the 'Saint' car the P18

post-42643-1234841908_thumb.jpg post-42643-1234842164_thumb.jpg

then replacemed by the 480

post-42643-1234841608_thumb.jpg

but yes the new C30 looks good, you can see it is the same family

post-42643-1234842598_thumb.jpg

Edited by ignis

yup the 30 looks really sweet! a while back volvo bangkok was offering interest free for the XC-90 as well and with the current economy,i'm pretty sure new promos will be coming up again.

Also disregard myths of no depreciation for Japanese cars etc, because that only holds true for the first year, after warranties expire their values drop to the same percentage as any other make, i.e. 3 year old CRV's and Fortunas lose 50%.

What about Captiva after 3 years?

They are still a fairly new, so hard to say. To give you a gauge I have found a two year old model on the market at 900K that's the 2.4L petrol version which is 1.4m new, so a drop of 36% after two years, I expect there'd be a further drop to 800K after 3.

Sounds a lot but the depreciation is comparable to that of CRV's, but yes, my original estimate of 50% was excessive. Surfing secondhand sites I see 2.4L CRV's new are 1.4m and drop by 43% to about 800K for a 2006 model, which where I expect an equivalent Capitva to be. Not sure how the diesel will fare though as I haven't seen any for sale, but I guess a little better.

Fortuners fair best dropping from 1.2m to 800K over the same time (33%) (approx.)

So Fortuners are cheaper to buy and depreciate slower, and that is a great selling point right there and probably enough reason for many.

Personally I dislike the ride quality and finishings but to each their own. :o

If they had xc60's when I was shopping I probably would have a hard time staying away, and yes those C30's look very nice 170hp aren't they? I saw one kitted out with the after market performance kit at a showroom in Ramintra, with Harken(sp?) body kit very very nice....

What about Captiva after 3 years?

They are still a fairly new, so hard to say. To give you a gauge I have found a two year old model on the market at 900K that's the 2.4L petrol version which is 1.4m new, so a drop of 36% after two years, I expect there'd be a further drop to 800K after 3.

Sounds a lot but the depreciation is comparable to that of CRV's, but yes, my original estimate of 50% was excessive. Surfing secondhand sites I see 2.4L CRV's new are 1.4m and drop by 43% to about 800K for a 2006 model, which where I expect an equivalent Capitva to be. Not sure how the diesel will fare though as I haven't seen any for sale, but I guess a little better.

Fortuners fair best dropping from 1.2m to 800K over the same time (33%) (approx.)

So Fortuners are cheaper to buy and depreciate slower, and that is a great selling point right there and probably enough reason for many.

Personally I dislike the ride quality and finishings but to each their own. :o

If they had xc60's when I was shopping I probably would have a hard time staying away, and yes those C30's look very nice 170hp aren't they? I saw one kitted out with the after market performance kit at a showroom in Ramintra, with Harken(sp?) body kit very very nice....

any idea when they will be introducing the XC-60 in thailand market. it is a very very nice car.... saw it on other volvo sites and yes it will be pretty hard to resist..... anyone with any info on the 60 in thailand?

C 30 in the UK

• Four trim levels: S, SE, SE Sport, SE Lux
  • Prices: OTR prices range from £14,750 (1.6 S) to £22,995 (T5 SE Sport/SE Lux)
  • Eight engines: from a four-cylinder 1.6-litre (100PS) to the five-cylinder T5 (220PS):
    1.6 (100PS), 1.8 (125PS), 2.0 (145PS) four-cylinder petrol engines
    2.4i (170PS), T5 (220PS) five-cylinder petrol engines
    1.6D (109PS), 2.0D (136PS) four-cylinder diesel engines
    D5 (180PS) five-cylinder diesel engine
  • Performance: 0-60mph available in 6.2 seconds with the 220PS T5

I believe in Thailand it is only the 2.4i (170PS), T5 (220PS) five-cylinder petrol engines that is here...

anyone with any info on the 60 in thailand?

I am sure I read somewhere last year it will arrive here mid 2010... ?

There again as Volvo is owned 100% by Ford and Ford are selling ?? [believe Swedish Government are in talks]

FORD Motor Co, seeking to raise cash to avoid a federal bail-out, is in preliminary talks to sell its Volvo Car unit to Geely Automobile Holdings. China

As printed in the Australia Business report dated 9-02-2009, also along the sane line in the Swedish Newspaper dated 16-02-2009

Edited by ignis

anyone with any info on the 60 in thailand?

I am sure I read somewhere last year it will arrive here mid 2010...

There was a review of the model in the Motoring section of the Post a few weeks back...sounded like it would be coming to LOS sometime soon.

Thanks guys i guess the best way to find out is for me to go down to the dealership and ask them.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
I also like the XC90 and came close to buying a secondhand one late last year, I was looking at 1.7m but opted for the top of the range Capitiva (1.56m) instead as I was concerned about servicing and parts cost and wanted at least some warranty on a Volvo (they come with 3 years new), in fact I did find one which met my criteria but sadly couldnt move quickly enough to snag it.

I have been very happy with my Chevy, its economical (diesel), comfortable, drives fine (I had 900 turbo before), tons of options and features (trip computers, AUX in etc). I will be keeping this for a while.

If you can get an XC90 say, a 2005/ 2006 model for the right money, do it. If the maintenance costs of an older model don't bother you, do it. Tire wear is the big cause for concern for XC90, as they can be quite pricey to replace.

Or check out the Captiva. Sure check out CRV and Fortunas too, if you must, but personally I hated the ride quality of the Fortuna.

I hear good things about the CRV (which is also cheaper than a new Captiva) but it was the option for 7 seats that attracted to the XC90 / Captiva. This has proved very useful with a Thai family in tow, and when not needed there's tons of storage. The XC90's extra 2 seats have a little more leg room than the Chevy, but still they are only really good for kids, so its not much of an issue.

Bringing up this thread again because I'm itching to pull the trigger on a Lexus RX/Toyota Harrier (2nd hand). Like quiksilva, I also wanted to Volvo XC90, I had been waiting for the price to come below 2 million (my personal rule is not to spend more than 2 million THB on a car).

But I've been driving my friend's Lexus RX (the Air S - I looove the air suspension - as I do in the Range Rover, but the RR EAS is a pain in the ass...) and I'm getting to really like it. So much that I'm driving it more than my own cars (and I love my own cars). It's not too big, not too small, and the build quality is great. At first I thought of it as a chick car (a la Plalex's "Bimmie"), but now I'm finding that if done up properly, it can be a man's car as well...

I'm looking at this one:

http://taladrod.com/w/Search/CarDet.aspx?cib=256949

I prefer the white, but all of the white Harriers/RXs that I know are driven by chicks (which is why I kind of thought of it as a chick car).... But then again black is a pain in the ass (I have a white, silver, and black cars now, and white by far looks best between washes. But the black is a sight to be seen when waxed up and pretty). So not sure there.

I'm thinking 1.8 million-ish for the RX/Harrier 2nd-hand, 05-ish.

Stingray, what do you think about the prices? Am I on the mark there? This would be for the RX300 version. The Air S is pretty hard to find, even though it has the 2.4 engine it it, it's still pretty peppy, not even in sport mode. Though I would prefer the Air S.

I've never heard anybody on TV speak of the Harrier/RX. Opinions? I'm leaning toward it over the XC90 because after driving the RX/Harrier, the XC90 seems HUGE! And I never cart around anything in my cars, at most a passenger in the passenger seat.

Also, I've been driving the "New" RX350 for about a week now (friend's AirS blasted an electricity pole), and it doesn't seem much different from the older RXs... except that there is now a god-awful seatbelt reminder noise. Even the "New" 400h facelifted versions don't look that great to me. So I'm getting even more confident about buying the outgoing model, as the new one isn't anything different or spectacular.

Quicksilva, did you ever think about the RX/Harrier? Anybody else own one?