Amigo Portuguese Macao Restaurant In Jomtien

Jingthing

This is potentially very exciting foodie news. There was a mention in the local press that a new restaurant called Amigo specializing in the Portuguese food style of Macau, China was soft opening in Jomtien Beach. However, no address. Now that's soft. Any info on this place? This distinctive Portuguese food of Macau is quite famous and perhaps this will be the only place offering this in Thailand ...

Edited by Jingthing

Last week I was in Pattaya and I remember seeing this restaurant while driving down Beach Road in Jomtien. It's in a new rather modernistic looking building on the far end (south) of Beach road. I noticed it because the building is rater different but I couldn't tell if they were open for business.

Last week I was in Pattaya and I remember seeing this restaurant while driving down Beach Road in Jomtien. It's in a new rather modernistic looking building on the far end (south) of Beach road. I noticed it because the building is rater different but I couldn't tell if they were open for business.

Yes they are open for business - have a life band playing outside - not sure about food offerings - seems busy during the weekends

So is it further down south than Soi Chayapruek, correct? It sounds like a serious effort. Before long, Bangkok people will be coming to Pattaya for the food, ha ha.

It is just before Lung Sawai Seafood Restaurant at the end of Jomtien Beach Road.

Is it open for lunch?

So is it further down south than Soi Chayapruek, correct? It sounds like a serious effort. Before long, Bangkok people will be coming to Pattaya for the food, ha ha.

It is just before Lung Sawai Seafood Restaurant at the end of Jomtien Beach Road.

Is it open for lunch?

yes it is......

Can't wait to try the caldo verde. Definitely on my list for my next trip to fun city.

Yes, that is a fantastic soup, but the Macau version of Portuguese food is apparently distinct from the food in Portugal, so I don't know if they would have that or use the same ingredients as you expect if they do. That's why this food here is a novelty especially for those who haven't been to Macau (I haven't).

• 1 month later...
This is potentially very exciting foodie news. There was a mention in the local press that a new restaurant called Amigo specializing in the Portuguese food style of Macau, China was soft opening in Jomtien Beach. However, no address. Now that's soft. Any info on this place? This distinctive Portuguese food of Macau is quite famous and perhaps this will be the only place offering this in Thailand ...

i have the address for amigo restaurant in Thailand its on 236 Moo 1 Jomtian Beach Road Najomtain Sattahip Chonburi 20250 Their number is 038 706 558-60

It has famous Portuguese food, and Thai Food, 5 star hotel chief, form Portuguese and Thailand.

Also has 5 Star Service.

Ask for "May" for reservation

If it's authentic, the African Chicken will be a must !!!!

You are wrong. In Portugal Piri Piri Chicken is a specialty usually served at specialty restaurants. A standard menu in Portugal doesn't have it. Also keep in mind this is CHINESE style Portuguese food which is going to be different than food in Portugal. Maybe they have it, but I doubt it, and it wouldn't prove anything about the place either way.

I hope somebody does a revue of this place soon, I have been in Macau about 10 times and I think it is some of the nicest food I have ever had anywhere. Hopefully they will have some Porteguese beer too but knowing Thailands import tax if they do have it it will probably be expensive.

If it's authentic, the African Chicken will be a must !!!!

You are wrong. In Portugal Piri Piri Chicken is a specialty usually served at specialty restaurants. A standard menu in Portugal doesn't have it. Also keep in mind this is CHINESE style Portuguese food which is going to be different than food in Portugal. Maybe they have it, but I doubt it, and it wouldn't prove anything about the place either way.

Mate, if you are talking Macau ( not Portuguese ) I assure you African Chicken will be on the menu.

( I have been going to Macau every other week for about 23 years ).

Edited by suiging

OK, sorry, then you are right then. I know about Portuguese food in Portugal. I have only read that Macau style Portuguese food is a different style of Portuguese food so I will take your word for it if you are saying that "African chicken" is on menus there. By African chicken do you mean piri piri chicken?

I think Piri Piri Chicken is the Portuguese version, the Macau version is called African Chicken, I seem to remember that the African Chicken came with a lot more gravy

Yes that is different. Sounds interesting. Piri piri chicken is basically dry grilled chicken served with a very spicy hot chili sauce African style. They have this in Bangkok (Piri Piri at the Emporium) but not as good as I had in Portugal. That is why it is a specialized dish there, the piri piri places are dominated by the chicken grills.

Edited by Jingthing

I think Piri Piri Chicken is the Portuguese version, the Macau version is called African Chicken, I seem to remember that the African Chicken came with a lot more gravy

Tried African chicken at 3 different places in Macau last year, 3 different versions, very similar tastes but different amounts of gravy, none to speak of to lots to be soaked up by delish bread basket. Also had caldo verdi, very nice but much prefer vino verdi! Must give this place a try.

Yes that is different. Sounds interesting. Piri piri chicken is basically dry grilled chicken served with a very spicy hot chili sauce African style. They have this in Bangkok (Piri Piri at the Emporium) but not as good as I had in Portugal. That is why it is a specialized dish there, the piri piri places are dominated by the chicken grills.

Hi again

Macau has a very distinctive " home" cuisine. I believe it evolved through the Portugese colonial troops coming through on posting from their African jaunts. Before the Portugese left, their police tactical unit top brass was staffed by old Africa hands as was the hierachy of their Judical police. The "old china hand " thing Hong Kong certainly displayed, had a distinct overseas military flavour in Macau. If this restaurant is true to the Macau name, you will be in for a treat. The spices are certainly more evident than the Portugese norm and as has been said on here the food is fantastic ( not so much cod, more general sea food and chicken, all things available in southern China ).

African Chicken is not dry. The best comes with a wonderful spicy sauce and fresh, small, bread rolls with salted butter to mop up the gravy................lovely :o

Is it open for lunch?

yes it is......

Not on a Sunday it's not.

We were there last night and had the African Chicken and it was great. You can order rice as an exra! But really there are potato cakes and salad already on the plate. If you just want breast you will have to request that when you order and probably pay a little more!

In addition I had Portugese Sausage and it was delicious.

The restuarant is modern looking, has an inside space with fans and a outside terrace. We decided on the outside terrace where the live band and singers were. Music/singing was just right not too loud.

The prices I thought were resonable.

The service was good but had a little problem at the end regarding the bill.

All in all a very good experience and yes we will return....for sure.

begs :o

• 4 weeks later...

I can now provide some feedback on Amigos.

Fantastically lovely restaurant, setting, and view. Very romantic.

Its way down very near the end of Jomtien Beach Road.

Being food from Macau I was expecting a fair mix of Portuguese Macau style food and also Macau style Chinese. Not!

85 to 90 percent of the menu is Thai food! Not any Chinese food of any kind.

I was there for the Portuguese food but have yet to try the African chicken (the picture looked good).

Had

calde verde -- decent, thick though bland potato broth, it had the proper green vegetable but about 1/10th the amount you would get in Portugal. The sausage was very small strips of tasty sausage, different than the blood sausage you would get in Portugal (which I actually don't like). Cost 110 baht. No complaints. Where are you going to get anything resembling Calde verde in Thailand?

Bacalau (salted cod) with potato cubes in a cream sauce. Taste: excellent. Authenticity: I can't say as I never saw that particular balcalau dish in Portugal. Amount of bacalau: very skimpy, about 1/5 of the amount you would get in a bacalau main course in Portugal. Before you make excuses, bacalau isn't cheap in Portugal (or anywhere) either. Happily, bacalau has a strong flavor and a little can go a long way, so the skimpiness did not seriously compromise the flavor experience of the dish. Very lovely comfort food. There was one CHEAP canned black olive on the dish. That was not impressive. I would have liked to see more olives and would have liked to see higher quality ones. About 290 baht.

Dessert: Baked pear in red wine sauce. Excellent! About 100 baht.

Service: soup and main served at the same time. Amazing Thailand!

Menu comment: The Portuguese selections were VERY LIMITED! Just a few choices. Only one bacalau dish option. I think that is a mistake. Why try to make a splash about having Macau cuisine and basically just slip in a few Portuguese choices into basically a THAI FOOD menu? Another classic dish they really should do there as it would be so easy to do in Thailand: Porco a alentejana (Portuguese pork with clams).

Verdict: recommended. Value acceptable and flavors very good for the Portuguese food. I wouldn't wait too long to try it though. I think their business model is flawed if you get my meaning (it was a large place, very empty!). If I were them, I would switch to half and half, half Chinese Macau and half Portuguese Macau. You can get Thai food everywhere. It is very hard to get GOOD Chinese food in Pattaya, not to mention Portuguese.

Edited by Jingthing