Da Wifes Civic

well...........not really..........

took it for repairs the other day, noticed on the expressway it was some insane low RPM figure for 130km/h ( think 2500 RPM ). ( extrapolating it to 6700 red line would be something like 350 km/h :o:D

Guess its geared for fuel economy at low RPM @ about 100km/h.

took it for repairs the other day, noticed on the expressway it was some insane low RPM figure for 130km/h ( think 2500 RPM ). ( extrapolating it to 6700 red line would be something like 350 km/h :o:D

If you accelerate in 130 km/h the RPM will increase quickly. Its an automatic and the RPM is fluctuating a bit. I tried mine a bit, and around 200 km/h its not that much more juice left.

If you accelerate in 130 km/h the RPM will increase quickly. Its an automatic and the RPM is fluctuating a bit. I tried mine a bit, and around 200 km/h its not that much more juice left.

Yea excellent cruising RPM. Very happy with my Civic. I wouldn't want to push it up above 200km/h though. That would be stretching it a bit too much na.

My old Volvo does 130 km/h at 2500 RPM.

At about 110 km/h the sliplock kicks (takes away the hydraulic slip at highway speeds to improve mileage) which brings RPM down by about 300 rpm... Almost feels like a 5th gear.

Yea excellent cruising RPM. Very happy with my Civic. I wouldn't want to push it up above 200km/h though. That would be stretching it a bit too much na.

Also very happy with my Civic although I recently traded it in.

It was a 2 liter and it really moved (155 HP).

Only two things i did not like:

Trunk space, and the fact that after two years of driving (abt 15000 km per year) the right rear tyre was worn down to the thread on the inside. The left rear tyre was also worn on the inside but not nearly as much as the one on the right.

When I went to the Honda dealer and asked them about it they said that this was normal on the Civic and Accord models!

Also very happy with my Civic although I recently traded it in.

It was a 2 liter and it really moved (155 HP).

Only two things i did not like:

Trunk space, and the fact that after two years of driving (abt 15000 km per year) the right rear tyre was worn down to the thread on the inside. The left rear tyre was also worn on the inside but not nearly as much as the one on the right.

When I went to the Honda dealer and asked them about it they said that this was normal on the Civic and Accord models!

Ditto about the trunk space. i have a CNG tank in there as well. so really left with nothing. But superb power 144Hp on the 1.8 is sure good enough. You must be flying with the 2.0. I love the car. It handles well. And to reply someone else's post here, the steering is tight at high speeds.

on the tyres, i lost all four of my tires within a year after buying the car. Honda says, you should have rotated them tyres. Told them that its written on their job sheet that tyres are rotated every 10k. never done on their side. After lots of finger pointing, they agreed to replace 3 of the 4 tyres. Now i make it a point to rotate the tyres every 10k.

Also brake pads are used very unevenly to the front left and front right. This is because of the car's VSA (Vehicle STability Assistance). Change of brake pads every year for sure. 2k plus a set.

I closely observed several speeding Civics on motorways, their 144 hp doesn't mean shit, any modern pickup can pull off from them from around 140 kmk/h easily. They might eventually reach 170-180 or maybe even 200, but it will take them forever.

I was really expecting Civics to perform better but was hugely disappointed.

Now I pin my hopes on diesel Focus. That thing must fly by comparison, though not at really high speeds, I suspect.

I closely observed several speeding Civics on motorways, their 144 hp doesn't mean shit, any modern pickup can pull off from them from around 140 kmk/h easily. They might eventually reach 170-180 or maybe even 200, but it will take them forever.

Now I pin my hopes on diesel Focus. That thing must fly by comparison, though not at really high speeds, I suspect.

you are comparing a 3.0 turbo diesel engine to a benzene 1.8. It doesn't serve justice. Civic is non a performance car and suited for a small family with more than enough pull power. You want a performance Civic? go for the Civic Type-R.

Also I reckon an Aston Martin pulls up faster than pickups running at 140km/h :o

Civic is non a performance car and suited for a small family with more than enough pull power.

That's what I'm saying - it's just a regular sedan.

Civic Type R was considered for Thailand but projected sales numbers didn't justify the production, even with exports to Australia.

Local Honda enthisiasts are quite happy with cheap TypeR badges instead. Looks just the same.

you are comparing a 3.0 turbo diesel engine to a benzene 1.8. It doesn't serve justice. Civic is non a performance car and suited for a small family with more than enough pull power. You want a performance Civic? go for the Civic Type-R.

Also I reckon an Aston Martin pulls up faster than pickups running at 140km/h :o

Well I must admint I've NEVER had a standard pickup pull on me at 140km/h. I've had them keep up with me, but I pull away above those speeds. This is the older, lighter 2.0 model though, with a slight mod to the intake and exhaust. Nothing major though. On the fly the pickups are fairly quick, up to a point. Off the lights it's a different story. I don't know about the 1.8 though.

Civic is non a performance car and suited for a small family with more than enough pull power.

That's what I'm saying - it's just a regular sedan.

Civic Type R was considered for Thailand but projected sales numbers didn't justify the production, even with exports to Australia.

Local Honda enthisiasts are quite happy with cheap TypeR badges instead. Looks just the same.

Malaysia is the only country i think in South East Asia that sells the Type R by the local Honda dealership.

I don't know about the 1.8 though.

Honda is the only car maker here that offers 1.8 as standard, all others have 1.8 as a premium engine.

On the road, from my observation, 1.8 are nothing special.

2.0l is a "proper" engine by comparison. There was a guy here who said it handles like a boat (he was talking about older model, I believe).

If you drive off the edge of a cliff and adopt a nose-down posture, you should be able to achieve something in the region of 144km/h with infinite fuel economy.

the pick ups might do 180km/h with the savings of more expensive diesel! :o

nice one btw :D

Actually the freefall speed does not depend on weight. Civic has a better aerodynamics, less resistance, so should fall faster in a nosedive and overtake a few trucks easily.

I had my 2 year old civic flat out on route 44 surantani to phang nga and it just tops 200 but takes a while to max out and drinks harder than me at that speed.

no corners so no issue with the steering but felt ok.

really pi**ed of when i got done for speeding near phuket at 125 later the same day but hey only 300 baht.

if you use the paddle shift theres not much that can out accelerate it below 3million baht.

Yeah, 2l Civic is probably the fastest vehicle in mass market category. Maybe only diesel Focus can outrun it at normal speeds, but I don't think diesel would reach 200 at all.

I think it would be pretty close between the two. The diesel, though, would make it much easier to drive in stop and go traffic. The civic doesn't get going till its well over 4000 rpm, and mine even has a strong surge over 5000 rpm. It's a bit of a dog in traffic. It's something that vtec engines are famous for - lack of useable torque. However it's the most refined engine in its class, and is the main reason I bought it. I can agree the springs on the eariler model weren;t so good - I ended up changing mine.

Focus has better 0-100 time, if I remember correctly.

Toyota vvti has two surges in their torque line - just over 2,000rpm and near 4,000. The first one is for daily driving and the second for overtaking. There's a saddle around 3,000 where vvti is often non-reponsive at all. I don't know it happens to Vtecs. Honda produces more power in top ranges, and so there's amazing 144 hp for Civic, but the catch is that it's unusable in daily driving.

In the end 109hp Corolla behaves just the same.

>>>

I think we need better, more reflective numbers to describe engine performance than hp/torque. Even torque curve doesn't tell you how fast the engine picks up the speed and how responsive it is and at what speeds.

• 5 months later...

I'm a regular reader of several car magazines in Australia as well as several Car review websites. Everyone one I have read about the Civic says its mediocre at best compared to a 2.0 litre Mazda 3. If you want a drivers cars with good performance and driving dynamics then the Mazda 3 is the best in its class. Not to mention excellent resale value. Also the VW golf is also excellent value but harder to get in thailand.