Slim Line Flat Screen Computer Monitors

marquess

[/i]I am thinking about ditching my old fashioned huge monitor and replacing it with one of the flat screen slimline things. What I would like to know is, what makes should I avoid, and which ones should I look out for? What's the price range for a 15"? Will I need any additional software to run it? Questions questions! I know.

They seem to range from about 8-18,000 baht. Don't know what is good or bad but have a low price Samsung 153v and very happy with it. Held off for a long time as remembered screens on notebook computers that had no contract range but this is much better display than the new 17" monitor it replaced. Also seems to be easier on the eyes. No special software required that is not included with monitor. Windows xt set mine up without a hitch.

Monitor preference really depends on the user. Not everyone will like the same thing. I still stick to CRTs because they have a larger color gamut, are brighter, display different resolutions better, and have much wider viewing angle. Some people switch to LCDs because of eye strain, which can be caused by not setting your CRT refresh rate appropriately, leading to flicker. LCDs don't need to have a high refresh rate because of the way LCDs function. LCDs do consume less power, but remember that since you're also paying more than twice as much for the LCD, you're going to have to use it quite a lot to get any benefit.

A 15" LCD will have the full 15" (diagonal) viewing area, while a 17" CRT will have at most 16" of viewable screen. The new standard for connectors is the digital DVI connector, but many cheaper LCDs come with only the old analog VGA D-sub connector. Sony makes certain LCDs with a brighter screen, which makes the colors much more vibrant but with a more reflective screen and much higher cost.

I saw a 17" LCD (new) at IT Mall for 11,000, so the prices do seem to be coming down. However, the typical LCD is still about twice the price of the typical CRT of comparable size.

Personally, I can't stand the faded colors, ghosting and limited viewing angle. I'd rather buy a high-end CRT than a low-end LCD for the same price, unless desktop space was a major consideration.

For prices at typical hardware stores, check:

http://www.jib.co.th/

http://www.hwhinter.com/

Edited by Firefoxx

I recently bought a LG Flatron L1710B.

Great display, shows colour details on my digital photos I have never seen before.

17", comes with the sw you need and can support digital input from a suitable video card, though I am using still the analog input.

I thought it was a bargain at 13,000 baht.

Go for the 17", the 15" is too small, it will still clear lots of space on your

desk.

The Samsung was part of computer package but believe they can be had for about 8k. Believe someone had for 6.5 if you trade in old monitor a few weeks ago.

I felt as Firefoxx before using this but no more. Angle of view is no longer a problem, although obviously not as great as CRT but you do not have to keep still and can move around. Color is much better than CRT, very deep and detailed. Admit my CRT was not top line but if you have not used the newer lad screens you may be surprised. I sure was.

Astral, that LG Flat tron at 13k seems like a snip. Would Pantip be the best place to go and look for a bargin like that? Or would one go to a regular store like Robinson? I have been looking through a price list and have not seen a 17" LG for under 20k

All LG 17" LCD monitors are under 20k at PantipPrice.com (start at 14,300) and that is never the lowest price (the top model Astral mentioned he got for 13k is 19,690 at PantipPrice).

I would walk around Pantip or Fortune Town if you are interested. But remember to come after lunch as many places open much later than they say.

JIB's main office is in Zeer. Click on the "about" button on their page for more information. You'll see that they have a lot of stores in Zeer.

I think that their prices are pretty good, but they carry mostly mainstream products. Nothing fancy. For fancy (and pricey), go to www.busitek.com.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with JIB (or HWH, or Busitek) in any way. Actually, I've never even been to JIB's shops.

Edited by Firefoxx