You Know You Are In Thailand When....

NewLifeNY

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you are in Thailand when your gf comes home at lunch time with 5 school friends and they all promptly jump into your king sized bed and go to sleep for 1 1/2 hours until their next class starts

" What we have here is failure to communicate" substitute 'Uni' for 'school' and all ambiguity is eliminated :o

Even if his gf was 18 and still in "school" it would not make him a pedophile. That term should be reserved for prepubescents.

you know you are in thailand when forum posters endlessly discuss the nuances of pedophilia

When you watch television and someone on the screen has a smoking cigarette in his hand. As he raises it to his mouth to take a puff, it magically disappears in a blob of blur!

Oh, this is nothing to do with Thailand. It's part of Maigo6's world domination strategy.

:o

You know etc etc

When tables, chairs, ironing boards and even microwave ovens have tatty bits of polythene sheet hanging off them where they've been covered before assembly.

It's impossible to get rid of unless you take the thing totally apart.

You know etc etc

When tables, chairs, ironing boards and even microwave ovens have tatty bits of polythene sheet hanging off them where they've been covered before assembly.

...so, many people do not take it of.

When your internet connection goes down and you call your ISP only to hear in broken thai-engrish, "Internet in world down now..."

or

when you call because your speed is 20% of what you pay for and they say, "Internet A-me-li-ka busy today alot."

Edited by tod-daniels

You carry toilet tissue in your pocket, because you darn you don't want to be caught empty handed done number two in the toilet. If you forget your tissue a quick stop to buy a Thai Newspaper will work, a little on the backside but it is better than nothing. :o:D:D

When your internet connection goes down and you call your ISP only to hear in broken thai-engrish, "Internet in world down now..."

or

when you call because your speed is 20% of what you pay for and they say, "Internet A-me-li-ka busy today alot."

:o:D

Also....you know you are in Thailand when...You stand up for a national anthem in a movie theater.....

^ you still use tissue?! SOoooo much cleaner the "Thai" way :o

Absolutely! Spray dirty water all over your bum and up inside you, dig around with your fingers, then let a bit of tissue disintegrate over your wet skin and get lost up your clunge. Oh, and leave water that has been sprayed all over your dirty ar$e on the toilet seat for the next person to deal with.

SOooo much cleaner

Crikey...

You know you're in Thailand when you engage in pasisonate debates about the best way to clean your bum!

You know etc etc

...so, many people do not take it of.

Like me!

or

True! Unfortunately so, but true none-the-less.

^ you still use tissue?! SOoooo much cleaner the "Thai" way :o

Absolutely! Spray dirty water all over your bum and up inside you, dig around with your fingers, then let a bit of tissue disintegrate over your wet skin and get lost up your clunge. Oh, and leave water that has been sprayed all over your dirty ar$e on the toilet seat for the next person to deal with.

SOooo much cleaner

Crikey...

You know you're in Thailand when you engage in pasisonate debates about the best way to clean your bum!

sounds like you need some practice.

You know you are in Thailand when you start finding most western food bland and you get a craving for rice for breakfast. :D
You know you are in Thailand when you start finding most western food bland and you get a craving for rice for breakfast. :D

Add chilli powder. Back home for holidays a chili shaker was always in the inner pocket of my jacket.

You carry toilet tissue in your pocket, because you darn you don't want to be caught empty handed done number two in the toilet. If you forget your tissue a quick stop to buy a Thai Newspaper will work, a little on the backside but it is better than nothing. :o:D:D
^ you still use tissue?! SOoooo much cleaner the "Thai" way :wai:

you know youare in thailand when people try to one up each other on going native

You know you are in Thailand when you start finding most western food bland and you get a craving for rice for breakfast. :o

Add chilli powder. Back home for holidays a chili shaker was always in the inner pocket of my jacket.

^ you still use tissue?! SOoooo much cleaner the "Thai" way :D

you know youare in thailand when people try to one up each other on going native

wrong guess, t.s.

No automatic desire to go "native". Ive lived in different countries since i was 16, so Thailand isnt my only experience of adapting to a new and different culture. I find that often people usually automatically start taking on some typical local behaviour over a period of time when they move somewhere (unless, i guess, you keep to yourself or your own countrymen). I think when you spend time with people from the country you are living in, then even when something at first seems strange, after a while it seems normal. I dont hold onto traditions from my childhood tooth and nail, i like to try to adjust and try out new things. Im not "native" by any stretch of the imagination, I could never be Thai, or wish to be. But I enjoy trying to learn about the culture and traditions of a country I live in, in doing so i find i automatically soak up a little of it.

Dont really see why making funny observations or talking about things that you feel have changed about yourself often brings on the 'one-upmanship' comment.

Maybe some people do feel the need to go on about how "native" they are, but I think thats a bit silly.

Sorry, rambling, bad day. :o

_________

You know are in Thailand when some Western men look at you with contempt, purely because you are a white Western female :D (sorry, but thats true). (But, at the same time, i know some really lovely Western men who are real gentlemen..and have had some nice simple interactions, such as men holding open a door for me. Always return the gesture with a smile and a thank you. :D )