Exodus: Expatriates Leaving Chiang Mai And Environs

Mapguy

Thailand may not be perfect, but its not that bad after all.

And therein lies the truth that many expats have yet to grasp.

It was a case of 'suck it and see'. I am not making any excuses, I simply haven't settled here and am relocating back to Chiang Mai as soon as possible. I spent 11 years in Thailand, and am returning to what I know best.

On the advice of a very good friend in the UK, I offered my condo for sale or rent, and fortunately, although I did not realise or apprectaite this at the time, a near sale fell through because the potential buyer inisted on lodging the deposit with his lawyer, something totally unacceptable to me, and probably anyone else in a similar position for that matter. I then offered it for rent only, and am glad I did.

I was back in Chiang Mai in early May for a few days, it was like a true homecoming, and I can't wait to get back there for good.

Edited by Nuff Said

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received a e-mail from the Chiang Mai expats club.

Due to falling attendance they have been forced to cut back to one meeting a month.

Now that might or might not be because expats are leaving the country or it could be no new ones are coming in. I don't know.

Food for thought

Right now, it's 22.94 or something. That's a huge drop...and it must be very difficult for people reliant on $ from abroad.

I have been teaching in Australia and I know first hand that the overseas student market from Korea is way down. Korea is being hit very hard and the flow on from that will be much clearer in the next 12 months.

keep up......right now its 29 tbt to one aussie

Due to falling attendance they have been forced to cut back to one meeting a month.

Now that might or might not be because expats are leaving the country or it could be no new ones are coming in. I don't know.

Food for thought

it could be because the group meetings are too boring

Food for thought

You can't use the Expat thing as a barometer - I never go nor do my friends - we didn't come here to sit around with expats - and many comment on the 'clique' thing that 'profits' some of those that organise it.

On a larger issue there is no empirical evidence that expats are leaving Chiang Mai - just guessing - I see new people all the time and many talk about people moving 'North' from Krung Thep.

Food for thought

In the 11 years that I lived in Thailand, (Pattaya and Chiang Mai), I never even contemplated attending an ex-pats club meeting.

The Pattaya Expats Club gatherings were extensively covered on Pattaya People TV, and the congregation looked like the most boring bunch of old farts in creation, desperately trying not to nod off while guest speakers, who often had a vested interest in the subject they were preaching about, such as insurance, hospital services or real estatae, had their say.

I can't speak regarding the Chiang Mai club, but even when I return I have no intention of boosting their dwindling numbers.

Edited by Nuff Said

I was a short term visitor (6 months) to CM last winter, and now I intend returning (from Canada) to live in CM permanently. I will rent at first. Anyone care to recommend a condo building in the Nimanmahein (sp?) region. Last winter I was in Hillside Plaza 4, which was ok, but...there prob is somewhere a bit more mod. I am willing to pay anything from 10 to 30k per month.

I have looked all over Thailand (tho not Pattaya or Bkk) for a suitable place to live, but CM does seem to satisfy a lot of my needs. Good farang restaurants, plus excellent Thai restaurants. First class medical care at the Ram. (Canada's health system is excellent and open to all, no questions asked, but you can wait months for an appointment for some procedures.)

And I love the second hand bookstores. (Though I don't see how you can make money, as someone above was suggesting, by buying new books at Asiabooks etc and selling to the second hand store.)

Condo suggestions much appreciated.

PS One of CM's most famous ex-pats is Marc Faber, the curmudgeonly mullet-wearing prophet of Gloom and Doom...see YouTube if you don't already know him.

I was a short term visitor (6 months) to CM last winter, and now I intend returning (from Canada) to live in CM permanently. I will rent at first. Anyone care to recommend a condo building in the Nimanmahein (sp?) region. Last winter I was in Hillside Plaza 4, which was ok, but...there prob is somewhere a bit more mod. I am willing to pay anything from 10 to 30k per month.

I have looked all over Thailand (tho not Pattaya or Bkk) for a suitable place to live, but CM does seem to satisfy a lot of my needs. Good farang restaurants, plus excellent Thai restaurants. First class medical care at the Ram. (Canada's health system is excellent and open to all, no questions asked, but you can wait months for an appointment for some procedures.)

And I love the second hand bookstores. (Though I don't see how you can make money, as someone above was suggesting, by buying new books at Asiabooks etc and selling to the second hand store.)

Condo suggestions much appreciated.

PS One of CM's most famous ex-pats is Marc Faber, the curmudgeonly mullet-wearing prophet of Gloom and Doom...see YouTube if you don't already know him.

SkyBreeze is one of the best condos in Chiang Mai and sought after - near CMU

www.skybreezecondo.com

Food for thought

Some of them are not all.Kind of strikes me as funny the people who replied to this post not only never go there selves but don't know any one who has gone but they know what goes on there.

No it is not a barometer but you knowing some one who hasn't gone is not a barometer either.

I post it to show that there is more than what you see in your circle of friends. How about the people from England who are not getting the cost of living increases. Things are not getting cheaper here. I personally know of a elderly man going back because he is tired of buying Thai ladies houses. Two.

Wake up people there is more to life than what is in your back yard.

Edited by jayjay0

Well, what do you know?

Three of my very dear old Thai friends ( from TU) have had their business expanding to Chiang Mai the past 3-5 years ago.

They're still going back and forth between BKK and CM, but I found them living in CM most of the time. When I took my annual trip to TL in May this year, they were flying out to BKK to meet me.

What I try to say is may be CM is loosing some expats ( dues to financial or personal problems or health problem or somthing else, etc), but it gains the Thais for sure ( The friends shift around dozens members of their families to work in CM), seems to me CM is getting more popularity in term of doing business and living from the BKK folks.

That's a good sign.:D

And therein lies the truth....exactly. Put some people anywhere, the best place on earth, and they would still complain. That is, unfortunately, a fact of life.

Edited by F4UCorsair

And therein lies the truth....exactly. Put some people anywhere, the best place on earth, and they would still complain. That is, unfortunately, a fact of life.

Yes, it certainly is. Even the most avid pro Thailand expats will find domestic issues to gripe about, be they double pricing or 90 day reporting. They there's the issue of exchange rates, which has hit somw quite badly. But that would apply wherever they lived if that country had, like Thailand, a strong currency and their home nations currency was weak.

No one likes a constant griper but the opposite is true too - I have some friends who think everything in farangland is absolute crap and Thailand is God's playground - there is good and bad everywhere and an occasional gripe about the driving etc. is perfectly normal in any country and relieves pressure - I mean their lack of use of indicators whilst driving is awful :unsure: hehe

Actually the stream of foreigners moving to/living in Thailand and Chiang Mai in particular has steadily increased since the day. While some people move on there are others that are moving here. I, for one, hate to see people move away and that is one of the things that I don't like about Chiang Mai but it happens here and it happens everywhere.

Actually the stream of foreigners moving to/living in Thailand and Chiang Mai in particular has steadily increased since the day. While some people move on there are others that are moving here. I, for one, hate to see people move away and that is one of the things that I don't like about Chiang Mai but it happens here and it happens everywhere.

Yes, I totally agree. Folk come and go. When I lived in a condo building in Jomtien, one with a high percentage of rooms for rent, the turnover of foreign tenants was very high. There were periods when rooms in the building were nearly fully occipied, and others when there were few other than the resident owners. Some were seasonal refugees (Frost Dodgers) escaping the European winters, with others such as teachers who were on short term contracts.

I didn't live in Chiang Mai for long enough to notice any particular trends there. But I will be back soon, and the sooner the better.

Food for thought

or too early.... :blink:

Usually arrive in CM on a Friday night and after a session just cant get up to wander along to ...where is it now....at 10-00 am on a Saturday morning.

Maybe one day...still recon its a good idea. :)

Food for thought

or too early.... :blink:

Usually arrive in CM on a Friday night and after a session just cant get up to wander along to ...where is it now....at 10-00 am on a Saturday morning.

Maybe one day...still recon its a good idea. :)

No, definitely boring!

I went once and couldn't wait to get out! It was like a cross between church and school!

Never again! I know some people that still go, and some of them are <deleted> of the highest order!

David

Well I can't think of too many people that use this forum that I know personally have left CM in the past 6 years.

Chuchok (returned to NZ)

erm erm...anyone else? :unsure:

UG would probably know better or MB

Very few that I am acquainted with. Of course, there is always a steady stream of part-timers coming and going and there always has been.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Or it might be because the group is run by relative newbies themselves, but who do have a business agenda to 'network' with other Farangs in Chiang Mai. I can only imagine some people don't need that kind of group. Especially with forums around that provide much better information on a wide variety of questions, such as where to find colonic irrigation.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Or it might be because the group is run by relative newbies themselves, but who do have a business agenda to 'network' with other Farangs in Chiang Mai. I can only imagine some people don't need that kind of group. Especially with forums around that provide much better information on a wide variety of questions, such as where to find colonic irrigation.

The Nail, the Head and Hitting come to mind - the 'business agenda' is forefront I am reliably informed and networking for 'customers' and 'clients' the prime objective of the whole thing.

The Nail, the Head and Hitting come to mind - the 'business agenda' is forefront I am reliably informed and networking for 'customers' and 'clients' the prime objective of the whole thing.

Sounds just like the Pattaya Ex Pats Club, with its vested interest 'guest' speakers. 'Networking' seems to be the common buzzword for such activities.

The advent of discussion forums such as this one will certainly have played a part in the falling attendances. With so much information available on-line, are such clubs really neccessary? The Chiang Mai Expats Club did produce an on-line edition of their printed newsletter, but even that now seems to have gone to the wall.

:(

Sounds just like the Pattaya Ex Pats Club, with its vested interest 'guest' speakers. 'Networking' seems to be the common buzzword for such activities.

The advent of discussion forums such as this one will certainly have played a part in the falling attendances. With so much information available on-line, are such clubs really neccessary? The Chiang Mai Expats Club did produce an on-line edition of their printed newsletter, but even that now seems to have gone to the wall.

I am not yet that familiar with the personal or professional lives of the members. I go because I do enjoy meeting new people and some of the entertainment has been excellent. Some sucks. I might suggest people might [and this is only a suggestion] get more out of it if they would approach it with a open mind. For the real benefit approach it with a attitude of what can I do to make it better. Recently saw Scott Jones the funniest person I have seen in a long time. Yes he did sell me a book Life in the Laugh Lane. The profits will go to help needy children. A sad thing is that there will be the odd person who finds fault with that. :(

The last post is correct, go with a open mind meet people and do what you want .Only sheep would be talked into something they do not want .It is a good way to meet other farangs and have a nice couple of hours at a 5 star hotel .

Following hard on the heel of the Chiang Mai Expats Clubs decision to reduce it meetings to one per month, is the Chiang Mail, which has just announced that it's going from weekly to twice monthly publication with immediate effect.

That's no loss it's awful

Following hard on the heel of the Chiang Mai Expats Clubs decision to reduce it meetings to one per month, is the Chiang Mail, which has just announced that it's going from weekly to twice monthly publication with immediate effect.

That's no loss it's awful

Whats going on??? The Chiang Mai Expat Club is going down. The Chiang Mai Mail is floundering. Cheerful Charlies Fish and Chips is up for sale along with Gekkos Restaurant and Pub, and The Old Bell.

Edited by gotlost

Seriously - I have heard no 'exodus' in fact the opposite - more people are coming to Chiang Mai from Krung Thep. Things will always be 'churning' and some go and others arrive - things are bound to be slower business wise - there's a world downturn. Crisis? what crisis?

As for the ex-pat club it really does only cater for a 'section' of those ex-pats that live here - it's more a business networking thing than a true club - I know tons of farangs but only 2 or 3 that go AND they go for business reasons only - to sell basically (property/insurance/investments etc.). In fact there's a gap in the 'market' for a true club in Chiang Mai.

Seriously - I have heard no 'exodus' in fact the opposite - more people are coming to Chiang Mai from Krung Thep. Things will always be 'churning' and some go and others arrive - things are bound to be slower business wise - there's a world downturn. Crisis? what crisis?

As for the ex-pat club it really does only cater for a 'section' of those ex-pats that live here - it's more a business networking thing than a true club - I know tons of farangs but only 2 or 3 that go AND they go for business reasons only - to sell basically (property/insurance/investments etc.). In fact there's a gap in the 'market' for a true club in Chiang Mai.

Something else that to me has become more noticeable are the amount of expats new or old that are aware of Thai Visa but that are not members and that live outside the super highway and do not come into town. Over the past few years the amount of restaurants and watering holes supermarkets, daily needs etc., out past highway 11 has risen sharply. This has added to what some people have noticed as a decline in the expat population. I can show you restaurants that are packed with expats and Thais on a daily and nightly bases along with watering holes that will have any where from 4 to 12 customers steadily from 8 AM tell 10 PM. This is on a daily bases. These people fill no need to venture into CM except when they absolutely have to.