I Know Who Does All The Shopping...

IanForbes

Yes, we all know it's the ladies. It was only too obvious to me today at the Airport Plaza. I spent over 2 hours wandering around the mall trying to find suitable boots to wade in a Thai river where we are going fishing this coming weekend. There are at least 75 ladies shops to one shop that "might" sell the occasional thing that a man might need. However, I did find the Robinsons mens floor that had a bunch of men's stuff that I can buy cheaper back in Canada.

And, is that plaza ever easy to get lost in! It's hard to determine where you are in the store. I have a great sense of direction after spending years in the wilderness of Canada, but I think I know my way around a 20 square kilometer wilderness better than I do finding my way around the Airport Plaza.

Well, yep. I was there a cpl days ago and the shoppers are out, though there seem to be alot less ppl in the stores actually buying. But the Thais do love a good stroll in the mall for sure.

If you want wading boots, I'd try either like a camping store - there're one or two in Kad Suan Kaew that you might take a peek into, or go where the Thais are likely to buy theirs. Thais pick up their waders, small ones that likely won't fit you, and only go a quarter way up the calf, usually at the same stores that sell small gadgets, all items plastic and household related eg, big plastic washtubs, food storage containers, metal brushes, plastic and wooden stools. There are a few of these stores around the perimeter of the city, perhaps one you've seen is already coming to mind. Or you could go into Warorot Mkt by day and ask for 'Chiang Mai Plastic" it's highly likely they'll have something close to what you're looking for. Everyone knows this store, just go around n ask n folks'll point you in the right direction.

I'd also check out at the big fishing store that's on Thippanet Rd, the one that runs parallel to the SATURDAY walking street on Wuwalai. They might have or know where to get some.

Good luck.

Exactly the same, have a very good sense of direction but Airport Plaza manages to get rid of any sense of north/south, back/front.

The only other place that does the same is MBK in Bangkok.

Many a time I have walked down to one end, only to discover it's the wrong end!

However, I did find the Robinsons mens floor that had a bunch of men's stuff that I can buy cheaper back in Canada.

Would that be including Air Travel to and from Thailand to Canada or by Sea :D

They are imported mensware BTW :o

Yours turly,

Kan Win :D

Exactly the same, have a very good sense of direction but Airport Plaza manages to get rid of any sense of north/south, back/front.

The only other place that does the same is MBK in Bangkok.

Many a time I have walked down to one end, only to discover it's the wrong end!

Does that mean the Mall designer did their job well? There are malls where I think they deliberately want you to lose your bearings in the hope that you walk around more and spend more.

So Ian, your not stalking ladies at the laundry this afternoon?

:o:D:D

No, but I DO keep buying more time I don't need for my cel phone at the DTAC store. What a group of young lovelies they have working there. Makes me wish I was 40 years younger. :D

They are imported mensware BTW :o

Yours turly,

Kan Win :D

Yah, but imported from WHERE? The stuff sure isn't made in Canada. I believe most, if not all of it comes from Asia... somewhere... maybe China. Why would goods made in China be WAY more expensive in Thailand than they are in Canada, which is much further away?

I've got more good stuff at home in Canada than I'll ever use in my lifetime. It's just getting a little of it over here at a time that is difficult. I don't really like buying expensive stuff here that I'll only use once in a long while. With bulky stuff like boots, tents and sleeping bags it is a quandry whether I bring my own from home and pay extra for baggage, or buy something here that isn't as good quality.

Ian Forbes, I'll miss you when you go back to Canada. :o

That's okay. I've got more photos at home than I do here and the internet is a world wide thing. I won't be gone... just lurking and posting.

Besides, I've been around for ages...

Ian_as_Adam_with_fig_leaf_Em.sized.jpg

Ian Forbes, I'll miss you when you go back to Canada. :o

That's okay. I've got more photos at home than I do here and the internet is a world wide thing. I won't be gone... just lurking and posting.

Besides, I've been around for ages...

Ian_as_Adam_with_fig_leaf_Em.sized.jpg

The size of your leaf is impressive.