Professional Jobs For Farang In Los

Just had a call from Kasikorn Bank about an email I sent them more than a month ago (with two follow-up emails also sent requesting a reply). Am posting this here now not to whinge/complain, but simply because it may save other farang from wasting their time.

KBank advertises a lot of jobs in English language jobs web sites, and some of them are quite interesting. As far as I know, none of these ads specify a Thai-nationals only policy (nor is this stipulated in the HR section of their web site). Also, unlike (say) Bangkok Bank and SCB, KBank has both an English language and Thai language application form in their web site. So this at least gives people the impression that they MIGHT consider expats.

Anyway as I finally found out today, all jobs with KBank do require Thai nationality. I suggested that they consider stipulating this in their web site (and ads) and they said they would consider this idea.

How many expats must have already emailed them over the years to ask whether they could apply for jobs with them? And they still can't muster enough initiative to insert one sentence in their web site? It just astounds me.

This leads on to the broader issue of job ads in English language job web sites in Thailand. As many of you would know, the majority do not specify whether non-thais can apply which is frustrating and wastes a lot of time (on both sides of the desk). Why don't the people running these web sites simply have a tick-a-box on this issue for each ad provider - and then have this variable as a searchable criteria. So very easy to set up. I have suggested this to 2-3 of the people running these web sites, but never a reply.

Maybe if a few others also emailed them on this point they MIGHT wake up and do something.

I have to laugh with one of these better known web sites - they have hospital jobs listed in the 'hospitality' section. Again, I have emailed them to alert them to the mistake here (and again no response or remedial action)

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I know several foreigners who are or have been employees of Kasikorn Bank or its direct subsidiarys.

Hmm, that's interesting, but perhaps they are/were employed as contractors or consultants. Another TV member noted recently that he had worked in such a capacity with one of the Thai banks

I know several foreigners who are or have been employees of Kasikorn Bank or its direct subsidiarys.

Hmm, that's interesting, but perhaps they are/were employed as contractors or consultants. Another TV member noted recently that he had worked in such a capacity with one of the Thai banks

If you re-read my post you'll see I use the term "employee" , not "contractor" or "consultant".

sorry to hear.....been there,done that, know it isn't great.

to be honest though, there I don't think there is any regulatory requirement that stipulates that they must advertise for Thai's only. Perhaps they want to keep their options open, just in case.

As for advertising on English language websites/newspapers though, I know for a fact that many Thai companies will do so, sometimes exclusively, to ensure they attract a certain demographic...that is, Thai, likely overseas educated at a Masters level and of course, a high standard of English. By doing that cuts out being deluged by the 'wrong' type of application, who only manage to clog up the HR inbox.

In terms of work permits etc (anywhere in the world) big corporates have no problem with going through the WP application process if they really want you. Happens all the time.

Edited by samran

If you re-read my post you'll see I use the term "employee" , not "contractor" or "consultant".

To be concise, I know of 3 foreigners who have been direct employees of KBank.

I also know of numerous foreigners who have been engaged as contractors for engagements of various lengths (but usually they are employees of another thai company that has a services contract with KBank rather than being independent contractors in their own right)

To be concise, I know of 3 foreigners who have been direct employees of KBank.

I also know of numerous foreigners who have been engaged as contractors for engagements of various lengths (but usually they are employees of another thai company that has a services contract with KBank rather than being independent contractors in their own right)

Yes I read "employees" thank you, but clinical precision with the language is hardly a hallmark of most TV posters, hence I responded on the basis that you were using the term loosely.

The advice I got today then looks then like a case of one bank employee not knowing what the official position (or marketplace reality) actually is.

Samran, noted thanks. Yes I understand why firms would use English language sites to look for the 'right' Thai staff. But they should also understand that farang might take it as an invitation to apply - hence they should anticipate and pre-empt that by stating "Thai nationals only" where appropriate

... by stating "Thai nationals only" where appropriate

In just a few years, I have seen most ads turning from that "Thai nationals only" to something like "Fluent in english AND in thai", which is quite easy to understand.

And it seems to be true!