Apparently On A Harley Forum Somewhere.

Travelmate

Harleys with six speeds, twin cams, electronic ignitions, etc. Japanese electrics and suspensions, Australian wheels, etc. The American Eagle has flown around the world to make a modern bike. Who is it again that developed the new big Buell engine?

I don't think japan hold's copyright on six speed's,atkinson trucks fitted with a gardener 180 or260 engine were six speed and made in england in 1940's to 1960's,jag's were twin cam,the first electronic ignitionswas on truimph TR6 which was fuel injection,harley efi is made in LA by dynojet who just happen to make the power comander.Now let's cut the shit and i have first hand experance so here come's the truth.

Last year a friend riding a big suzy(1400cc i think) and i rode from phuket to nong kai,as i like to ride between 160 to180km this suited him until we stopped petrol,toilet,food whatever,naturally H.D. got all the attension from joe public photo's and all types of question's about my H.D.On the second day of riding i noticed that my traveling buddy was letting this get to him and finally he fliped when i was asked another question and i quote"MY BIKE IS SPECIAL TO THEY ONLY MADE A LIMITED NO.AND IS SAME AS HARLEY"and there we have it,joe public prefer's our H.D'S to your riceburner and that has ye pissed,well it's not going to change so grow up and get over it.Harley-davidson is more appeling to the mass's then something that look's like it came out of a lucky dip.the people have spoken.LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVE'S

95% of the public are complete morons though dude, we all know that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harley had to be dragged into the modern era. Four speeds were common in the late 70's, early 80's. Harley was supplied by Jananese suppliers for electrics and suspension for many years and probably still are. The first HD twin cam was when? And who designed the new Buell twin?

It is amusing for HD riders to still call them rice burners.

In the late 70's and early80's the company registered as Harleydavidson did not exsist.It was replaced by americian motor factory which was owned by an italian and jap company and it very nearly was the end of a era.Complete and utter shit was all they could produce,at least they replaced HD logo on tank with AMF.Willie G bought back company and with his son made it what it is today.This could be the reason for your misguided jap attitude.

quite simply they are 2 COMPLETELY different styles of bike and riding.

Exactly. 'Nuff said!

Once in a while a bike manufacturer gets it absolutely right........ that original yellow Triumph Daytona (circa '95?) was pure sex on wheels, the Duke Monster....... wow! Even H-D did it when they tarted up the old Electra Glide and the Road King was born, and now they've given us this...... the XR1200. Originally designed just for the Euro market, it's now a hot seller all over the world. Awesome performance and great looks.

Have to agree completely and I'm not exactly a HD lover. It works both ways, the Truimph Hurricane was an awesome Californian styled machine in its day. Once met Craig Vetter at a rally in UK.

Dave

Harleys with six speeds, twin cams, electronic ignitions, etc. Japanese electrics and suspensions, Australian wheels, etc. The American Eagle has flown around the world to make a modern bike. Who is it again that developed the new big Buell engine?

I don't think japan hold's copyright on six speed's,atkinson trucks fitted with a gardener 180 or260 engine were six speed and made in england in 1940's to 1960's,jag's were twin cam,the first electronic ignitionswas on truimph TR6 which was fuel injection,harley efi is made in LA by dynojet who just happen to make the power comander.Now let's cut the shit and i have first hand experance so here come's the truth.

Last year a friend riding a big suzy(1400cc i think) and i rode from phuket to nong kai,as i like to ride between 160 to180km this suited him until we stopped petrol,toilet,food whatever,naturally H.D. got all the attension from joe public photo's and all types of question's about my H.D.On the second day of riding i noticed that my traveling buddy was letting this get to him and finally he fliped when i was asked another question and i quote"MY BIKE IS SPECIAL TO THEY ONLY MADE A LIMITED NO.AND IS SAME AS HARLEY"and there we have it,joe public prefer's our H.D'S to your riceburner and that has ye pissed,well it's not going to change so grow up and get over it.Harley-davidson is more appeling to the mass's then something that look's like it came out of a lucky dip.the people have spoken.LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVE'S

ha ha ha..

The picture of a harley rider.. Concerned about what others think..

Was on a predominately H-D poker run a few years ago...... started with breakfast at Cafe Kronberg...... about 50 Harleys and 1 Honda (from the club I ride with) parked up outside. The guys couldn't work out why I was chatting with Chef and dissapeared into the kitchen for a second or two.

Ten mins later I burst through the front doors........ "Michael, Michael, go check....your bike's sprung a leak!!"

Oh, how we larfed!! :o:D:D

post-66370-1237814321_thumb.jpg

post-66370-1237814333_thumb.jpg

^ The archetypal "muscle" bike. Didn't they stop selling the most powerful ones in the UK coz they were too powerful? Seem to remember hearing summat of the sort.

I miss my lil old cafe racer....... was just about to "Bandit" her when someone came along and bought her!!

post-66370-1237817266_thumb.jpg

^ The archetypal "muscle" bike. Didn't they stop selling the most powerful ones in the UK coz they were too powerful? Seem to remember hearing summat of the sort.

I miss my lil old cafe racer....... was just about to "Bandit" her when someone came along and bought her!!

Thats actually one of the nicest harleys I have seen..

Of course would be better with a different engine in there :o but love the look..

I know they didn't sell that many of them some say it was the power but that's B.S.Before vmax yamaha made a 1000cc v twin called TR1 and they didn't sell either which is a pity a mate had 1 and what a great ride all round .We came to the conclusion that JAP'S cannot manafacture aV-TWIN MOTOR.About 1998 i rode a vmax in pattaya,found it a strange mount,riding position did not suit me but i did manage a small wheelie,boy did theb front end come down with a bang.Google the TR1 one of yamaha's finest.

I think vmax is about 1700c,must say after i rode one i knew i'd never own one

Yeah that poor old Yamaha uses carbs, 2 rear shocks, a 5 speed trans, no windshield.

You'll notice dynabob wants no part of it.

It's name is "Harley Killer"

It's the old fashioned 145 HP model. The new ones are over 200.

Yamaha quit making them for a while which is why you missed some years in England.

It's quite comfortable for touring.

The archetypal "muscle" bike. Didn't they stop selling the most powerful ones in the UK coz they were too powerful? Seem to remember hearing summat of the sort.

Thanks Ace. Yeah that one is bone stock except for those Over Racing Cans on her.

Once in a while a bike manufacturer gets it absolutely right........ that original yellow Triumph Daytona (circa '95?) was pure sex on wheels, the Duke Monster....... wow! Even H-D did it when they tarted up the old Electra Glide and the Road King was born, and now they've given us this...... the XR1200. Originally designed just for the Euro market, it's now a hot seller all over the world. Awesome performance and great looks.

yeah Ace - we saw that XR at Burupa. Exactly the type of cycle I like to ride.

Just proves that if companies make cycles people want to buy they'll sell heaps.

And don't get me wrong guys- I'm not anti-HD. I think many custom Harley's are pieces of art.

I'd just never want to ride one in Thailand where there are so many obstacles and pitfalls coming at you from all directions. It's no surprise that the nicest looking Harleys are the ones that are TRUCKED and not ridden to the bike weeks.

In the Land of Smiles precise handling, strong acceleration, and competent brakes are a must. To survive on these crazy roads you need a bike that's designed for performance.

Now- you wanna hook me up with a Buell Lightening, Firebolt, or 1125R then I say hel_l YEAH! Those are bikes that can handle and would be awesome here in Thailand.

^ Methinks you're making the same mistake so many others do....... there's nothing wrong with a Harley's performance for handling the worst that Thailand can throw at you, especially with floating discs added.

Acceleration is awesome on the newer models. It's just that sooooooo many H-D riders don't know how to get the best out of their machine, having never ridden anything else! Proper use of your gearbox in the twisty bits can be brilliant fun even on a big bagger like mine.

I have no doubt that having spent much of my youth on Jap race bikes around the lanes of Kent and Sussex stood me in good stead for how I handle the bike today. Sorry, trying not to sound big-headed here but I despair of so many H-D riders who crank it up into 5th and stay there all day!!

Edited by AceCafe

^ Methinks you're making the same mistake so many others do....... there's nothing wrong with a Harley's performance for handling the worst that Thailand can throw at you, especially with floating discs added.

Acceleration is awesome on the newer models. It's just that sooooooo many H-D riders don't know how to get the best out of their machine, having never ridden anything else! Proper use of your gearbox in the twisty bits can be brilliant fun even on a big bagger like mine.

I have no doubt that having spent much of my youth on Jap race bikes around the lanes of Kent and Sussex stood me in good stead for how I handle the bike today. Sorry, trying not to sound big-headed here but I despair of so many H-D riders who crank it up into 5th and stay there all day!!

Emergency direction changes on a machine of that size weight (sheer mass) and position are just nothing like the flickability of a more street designed machine..

Emergency direction changes on a machine of that size weight (sheer mass) and position are just nothing like the flickability of a more street designed machine..

....... again, depends on who's doing the flicking!! :o

Whenever I see a Harley or a V-Max, I think, "we're all in this together." We are on two wheels, not four, and we have an engine. They - the four wheelers, pedestrians, soi dogs - are out to get us. We have more in common with one another than with them.

Yep, I also think, "we're all in this together", and man don't I feel fortunate I'm riding a street/sport bike which gives me a much better chance at avoiding the four wheelers, pedestrians, soi dogs, etc. that are out to get us. :o

]

as i like to ride between 160 to180km

Come on bob,now you have to admit that the bike you ride really isn't a Harley.

post-75867-1237897995_thumb.jpg

This my good friend is my ride.06 dyna street bob.1450cc Twin Cam,dyno electronic fuel injection,six speed.I fitted a dyno power commander and phyton Short Staggered Exhaust's and yes that is HD you see on the tank.160-180km is not a problem,i have brought her to 210km but i would reccomend short burst's only because of the riding position.Am waiting on a screami'n eagle big bore kit =1598cc,96cubic inch

post-75867-1237898182_thumb.jpg

The HD I ridden which I did like was the equivalent of the Sportster XR1200 (I think) normal forks, normal riding position and a nice bike. The others with the footpegs in grandpa position, ape hangers and long forks is crappy rides. Try to do the driving license in a normal country with one, ehh right nobody does that and when they tried in a TV show they proved it could not be done with a lot of them. That begs for the question how the *&$%^ can you buy a new bike unable to pass the test???

Should I ever get a HD it would be the Sportster XR1200... It is sad as HD has very nice new engines which would be great in a serious sport frame... But no the customers seems to love the useless riding position.

Also 96 c.i. and burst 210... A mere 1.3 liter Hayabusa does 340 when you chip it. Most interesting is the statistics from US, the cruisers are far more susceptible for accidents than sport bikes, I blame that on the riding position. And the worst of it is that the original Hells Angels and the likes created the chopper (and word) from removing heavy parts from the HD war bikes after 2nd WW and made them sportier and faster... Not more unridable but more ridable, then late 50's people started to custom make them into what we see today, so all the "old school" should be sport bike versions of the HD, not what the hype tries to make them look like. I would like the new EVO in a sport frame, would be the torque of the town and a cool ride.

As it stands now Triumph really triumph as a bike in comparison, love the 3 cylinder sound, they look great, ride great and is brilliant bikes.

Cheers Bard

]

This my good friend is my ride.06 dyna street bob.1450cc Twin Cam,dyno electronic fuel injection,six speed.I fitted a dyno power commander and phyton Short Staggered Exhaust's and yes that is HD you see on the tank.160-180km is not a problem,i have brought her to 210km but i would reccomend short burst's only because of the riding position.Am waiting on a screami'n eagle big bore kit =1598cc,96cubic inch

I don't doubt your bike can go like stink, but good lord man- it's gotta weigh 400kg or more and only a single disc front and rear? Yikes!

That is a thing of beauty. Nice bike dude. I miss my FatBoy, I am riding a dam_n dirt bike now because the roads where I live are no good.

That is a thing of beauty. Nice bike dude. I miss my FatBoy, I am riding a dam_n dirt bike now because the roads where I live are no good.

Nice One gymshark,hope you get reunited soon.LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

:o

]

I don't doubt your bike can go like stink, but good lord man- it's gotta weigh 400kg or more and only a single disc front and rear? Yikes!

330kg dry,as for the brakes they slow you down,i'm lucky my motor is rubber mounted .BUT WE LOVE OUR HARLEY'S