Test Drive A 400

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am back from Pattaya now. rented a CB400 for one day, starting the afternoon, and stayed the night, giving back the next afternoon, and now I'm home.

It was a whole new dimension. I'm not an experienced rider, and have had no formal training or testing, like necessary in Canada. I have had a Wave and a CBR and have driven many hours every day in Bangkok traffic and on highways for about 3 months. Thats my teacher. I dropped the Wave once with a 200 pound guy on the back, when I car cut me off and I slammed on the brakes too hard while turning at the same time. Rationally I know that you cannot be skidding and turning at the same time, but it was just a reaction. I learned from it. No other real problems. I feel quite confident thus far, and the CB400 was a blast. Took it up and down Beach Road a little too fast for the amount of cars and people around, and blasted up and down Sukumwit. Hit 180 quite easily. Wow. It is a whole new dimension. I got on my CBR150 to come home and it felt like a little toy. Vibrating like hel_l when you get to 110km/h.

The CB400 was very quick and very smooth and very comfortable, and I had assumed that the XJ400 would be fairly similar. As well, it is only 3 inches wider so I still made through tight spots, and never held up any anxious Waves behind me. The Waves were holding me up! :o The weight was hardly noticeable. With my girlfriend on the back I had no problem turning/driving slowly and balancing.

The CBR400 and the VFR400 do look/sound very nice. I definitely want to get a 400 now. I do alot of highway traveling and sight seeing, and the CBR 150 just won't cut it anymore. But I was hoping for something more comfortable for my girlfriend, though she said the seat on the CB wasn't much better than the CBR150. So maybe I could get a sports bike instead. I had previously ruled it out due to the preconceived notion that the CB would be more comfortable. What I need is a new seat on ANY bike. With the right seat mods / material, could she sit decently and noticeably better than a stock CBR150, on say a CBR400 or VFR400?

Also, what kind of fuel do these 400s consume?

You guys have been a huge help! :D

I own a VFR but have rented several CBR400's and i can honestly say if i could trade for a CBR that was as nice as my VFR i would. Much cheaper to run and much smoother power delivery. That said the VFR is a torque monster in comperison, down low torque is amazing and the power keeps climbing to the moon! That and the gear drive sounds awesome.

But in traffic it hates it and gets hot fast and doesnt want to run right.

The VFR is like the 150 as it very narrow, and easy to manuver almost like a bicycle.

I own a VFR but have rented several CBR400's and i can honestly say if i could trade for a CBR that was as nice as my VFR i would. Much cheaper to run and much smoother power delivery. That said the VFR is a torque monster in comperison, down low torque is amazing and the power keeps climbing to the moon! That and the gear drive sounds awesome.

The VFR is like the 150 as it very narrow, and easy to manuver almost like a bicycle.

So a VFR has more torque, and is slimmer and easier to manouver in traffic, but has problems with heat/engine running in traffic?

A CBR is smoother, and cheaper to run, and has no heat problems, but less torque and wider so harder to maneuver in heavy traffic jams?

How is the CBR cheaper to run? Less breakdowns and repair costs?

So a VFR has more torque, and is slimmer and easier to manouver in traffic, but has problems with heat/engine running in traffic?

A CBR is smoother, and cheaper to run, and has no heat problems, but less torque and wider so harder to maneuver in heavy traffic jams?

Both bikes are small but not scooter sized! So if you look at it this way they are even.

My VFR runs bad since the carbs sit in the middle of the engine and get heat soaked. Once you are moving though it clears up. But until then it runs like a dog when its hot. This is the primary reason i have sent my carbs off to be ceramic coated adn will be running an HRC heat shield/air scoop.

Price wise its hard to say since im a farang and my prices are higher than someone who speaks thai. I will say though that spark plugs, main jets and other quality parts are hard to get for my VFR. I have to plan way ahead since they arent available on demand. But this is a 10+ year old bike so that isnt too strange i suppose. Since CBR's are more common parts seem to be readily available as i assume they share components with other bikes with inline 4's

No matter how you slice it both bikes are fun to ride. The size difference is nominal so it will come down to price of entry and your preference in taste.

Edited by wrathfultalon

But a VFR that has been well maintained shouldn't have many "breakdowns" or "faults" causing an inability to ride it?

:o I'm not rich. I think my eyes are a bit bigger than my stomach on this one.

I'm not going to drop 30k on repair costs in 5 months am I?

If I buy a well maintained bike with good tires, carbs, brakes, etc, etc.

But a VFR that has been well maintained shouldn't have many "breakdowns" or "faults" causing an inability to ride it?

:o I'm not rich. I think my eyes are a bit bigger than my stomach on this one.

I'm not going to drop 30k on repair costs in 5 months am I?

If I buy a well maintained bike with good tires, carbs, brakes, etc, etc.

Most Jap bikes are reliable as long as you take care of them.

But 30k aint a lot of money either..

Old bikes.. Hard to get spares.. Plus just the general fact that big bikes are a huge step up cost wise than the run of the mill thai machines...

Start spending over 100k and you will be more likely to be fine.. Spend 50k and expect to keep pumping money into it.

That said I had a great CBR for a couple of years that never cost me anything more than fuel / oil / filters and a chain.