Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna live in BKK next December, and I don't wanna pay the 150 Baht comission bank. I've not read about this, but with a Visa Business it's easily to open a new bank account? I think, I would have also a rent contract of my apartment of at least 6 months.

Thank you.

Edited by vicctor15

@ vicctor15

Chances are that the first bank you walk into, or maybe the second, will open an account on sight of your passport.

Thank you for your fast answer. I only want to ask if was more easier having a Visa Business than having a 3 month normal Visa. Well, so I would have to go to "farang" areas. Which are the best areas actually, Silom and Sukhumvit, for trying?

I have opened accounts with a 30 day stamp on arrival, ie no visa, and again when I moved here with an O Visa, neither time were the bank interested in seeing any visa, or indeed proof of address, they just took a copy of my photo page, but that may have changed.

As to where to open, I would say near where you are going to live, if the first bank declines your application, normally because they don't understand the procedure, then go to another bank or different branch.

Some people have been refused accounts for no apparrent reason, whilst most people have no problems. I opened mine on Sukhumvit, because that's where I live, others have opened in one of the shopping mall branches,

I have never had any problems 1st account opened about 11 years ago, cheque account + ATM, Bangkok Bank in 2003 with Be 1st Visa ATM, 2006 Deposit account,........... last week SCB because I wanted a different account for transfers, took in my Thai Driver Licence and 500 baht, no problem, Big C at Bang Yai. Only went in to see what was needed to open an account, so of course did not have my Passport as that it something I never carry.

Edited by ignis

I have opened accounts with a 30 day stamp on arrival, ie no visa, and again when I moved here with an O Visa, neither time were the bank interested in seeing any visa, or indeed proof of address, they just took a copy of my photo page, but that may have changed.

As to where to open, I would say near where you are going to live, if the first bank declines your application, normally because they don't understand the procedure, then go to another bank or different branch.

Some people have been refused accounts for no apparrent reason, whilst most people have no problems. I opened mine on Sukhumvit, because that's where I live, others have opened in one of the shopping mall branches,

Thank you again. This is what I will do. I had asked in two different banks near the area I lived, and the answer was denied for opening an account bank. So I will try in many different offices and different banks for having my own account.

I'm gonna live in BKK next December, and I don't wanna pay the 150 Baht comission bank. I've not read about this, but with a Visa Business it's easily to open a new bank account? I think, I would have also a rent contract of my apartment of at least 6 months.

Thank you.

Maybe the Miracle Thailand Card, read more in this topic.....

or here.... http://www.ktb.co.th...VQb7Eg==&type=c

Edited by Baxer

Thank you.

Maybe the Miracle Thailand Card, read more in this topic..... http://www.thaivisa....rd#entry5771982

or here.... http://www.ktb.co.th...VQb7Eg==&type=c

I think it's like only a credit card that u can charge at maxium 30.000 Baht. It's good, but I would need an account for saving my money there.

I have never had any problems 1st account opened about 11 years ago, cheque account + ATM, Bangkok Bank in 2003 with Be 1st Visa ATM, 2006 Deposit account,........... last week SCB because I wanted a different account for transfers, took in my Thai Driver Licence and 500 baht, no problem, Big C at Bang Yai. Only went in to see what was needed to open an account, so of course did not have my Passport as that it something I never carry.

I think I would have to go for a good walk for open a new bank account 555++.

It's near Big King Department Store Rattanathibet.

My Bank Account was opened 'indirectly' ...

I opened a Share Trading Account with a Thai Stock Broker.

To facilitate the Transfer of funds, that needed a Thai Bank Account.

They had an association with SCB from within their Office Building, signed a few forms and the Account was opened.

Was a few years ago, maybe 3 or 4 years.

All on a Visa Exempt stamp ... thumbsup.gif

Hi David,

Mind telling us which brokerage company is it?

Thank you.

Is there any need for a local bank account for visitors? Nowadays I just bring foreign cash and change it at Superrich head office. This beats any bank's rates and charges in terms of Baht-in-hand. Even cheap hotels have safes in the rooms these days, so who needs banks any more? They just wear you down with ATM, deposit and withdrawal fees! Patronising these parasites is as bad as voting in our sham-democarcies, or paying the BBC a licence fee to propagandise us.

Is there any need for a local bank account for visitors? Nowadays I just bring foreign cash and change it at Superrich head office. This beats any bank's rates and charges in terms of Baht-in-hand. Even cheap hotels have safes in the rooms these days, so who needs banks any more? They just wear you down with ATM, deposit and withdrawal fees! Patronising these parasites is as bad as voting in our sham-democarcies, or paying the BBC a licence fee to propagandise us.

No, I don't think that it's necessary for a visitor to open a bank account in Thailand, just to save a few Baht in ATM fees, arriving in Thailand with sufficient cash for your stay is a viable, albeit very risky, option.

However I think that most people reading this thread are resident in Thailand and think having an account here is quite useful.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife opened a bank account with SCB recently, but we didn't find out how to register with their internet banking site. Can someone point me in the right direction? For example is the login name the account number? Thanks

I created my own log in name and from memory you do that as you go through the registration process - click on the yellow arrow above the the standard log in box asking you for your log in name on the Easy.net page. It then asks you for account no./pin before going on to the next stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to be or seem a lazy git but can someone tell me what bank is going to be the best for my needs.

Im having a few problems opening a Singapore bank account as i dont have a WP so thought the next best thing is open a USD dollar account in Thailand ( if its poss ) only say USD as thats what i get paid in.

So this is what i need to do with the account if its at all possible

Receive my salary each mth from Singapore

Online Banking

Send about 1000usd back to the UK

Use ATMs to draw whats needed to live but in Myanmar.

Thanks for any help offered.

Dan

Edited by Kiggs

Not to be or seem a lazy git but can someone tell me what bank is going to be the best for my needs.

Im having a few problems opening a Singapore bank account as i dont have a WP so thought the next best thing is open a USD dollar account in Thailand ( if its poss ) only say USD as thats what i get paid in.

So this is what i need to do with the account if its at all possible

Receive my salary each mth from Singapore

Online Banking

Send about 1000usd back to the UK

Use ATMs to draw whats needed to live but in Myanmar.

Thanks for any help offered.

Dan

In your situation I would go with Bangkok Bank for the following reasons :

1. They have branches dotted all over Asia as well as London.
  2. Transfers between Bangkok Bank accounts incur no charge.
  3. All international transfers into Thailand are routed primarily through Bangkok Bank regardless of the end-destination bank.

Keeping the handling of your money in as few hands as possible should make things a bit more fool-proof.

I'm not an expert on UK banking regulations but I do know that all banks operating in the UK have to comply with them, naturally, and I also know that UK banks have been allowing customers to transfer money between each other without charge for years.

So if I'm not wrong about the charges you could in theory send money from Bangkok Bank (Thailand) -> Bangkok Bank (UK) -> Usual UK Bank Account . . . all without charge.

If you do find out if it can work like that please come back and let me know!

Edited by Trembly

I have my account and credit card with Bangkok Bank, choose them because I was told they are the best when it comes to getting funds into the country by wire transfer. This is true, if my bank in Canada does a transfer, the next day the funds are in my account here. Getting a credit card required a hold on double the credit limit of the card???

The thing that I found odd was that if you go to any branch other than the one you have your account, they charge you to withdraw AND to deposit money to/from your account. Is this standard procedure with all banks in Thailand? What about the holding of funds for the CC ?

Sorry I would argue about Bangkok Bank being the best...

I bank with Citibank and when I transfer cash either way from Australia it is INSTANT, also contrary to what may have been said on Thai Visa Citibank does NOT charge any atm fees from any ATM in the kingdom for withdrawals regardless of how many per month, there are no other fees and charges that I am aware of and I have had this account for years, Having said all this, this pertains to my account and of course it would be wrong to assume everybody's would be the same but I would GUESS that I am no one special so should and I say should be same same for all...I may also add, having dealt with SCB and Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank in the past banking with Citibank is like a breath of fresh air...They even OFFERED a platinum credit card, no work permit, just funds in the bank... :)

By the way, for people who are mainly just looking for a bank account for local use I can highly recommend the Government Savings Bank (Thanakhan Omsin), the bright pink one.

You can use their ATMs or the ATMs of the Islamic Bank or the BAAC (Thor Gor Sor) without charge nationwide. You can also change your home branch (takes 1 day) if you move to a different area.

By the way, for people who are mainly just looking for a bank account for local use I can highly recommend the Government Savings Bank (Thanakhan Omsin), the bright pink one.

You can use their ATMs or the ATMs of the Islamic Bank or the BAAC (Thor Gor Sor) without charge nationwide. You can also change your home branch (takes 1 day) if you move to a different area.

They also issue debit cards with your name printed on them.

• 2 weeks later...