Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

.........any chance somebody can get back on topic

The reply says it all. If you please ladies & gents.

Ok Blaster, I'll do it, but from a different angle.

Over the last couple of months there has been a steady influx of very attractive young females turning up in my town, that in itself is not unusual, it's been happening since I've lived here, but, this year they are alone.

I am seeing the same thing (don't live in Pattaya-Jomtien now.....live in the middle of nowhere Thailand in a very small city). Over the past few months I have seen faces here I have never seen before.......the girls look a bit different than the usual crowd of birds........and many are by themselves.

My guess is that a lot of girls leave this town.....probably can't wait to get away from here....and end up in Pattaya-Jomtien. Now Pattaya-Jomtien--according to my contacts there--is a Ghost Town. So, work is not possible. They have to return home.

From what I am observing, this is really a serious economic downturn that is impacting a lot of Thais. Maybe it is time for the govt. to actually encourage tourism......no, they are not doing that, unless you are from China (# of Chinese tourists down 80% from same time last year, by the way).

According to my contacts in Pattaya-Jomtien, not only is it a Ghost Town, but prices are still high........what happened to the big discounts and free rooms?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is time for the govt. to actually encourage tourism......no, they are not doing that, unless you are from China (# of Chinese tourists down 80% from same time last year, by the way).

According to my contacts in Pattaya-Jomtien, not only is it a Ghost Town, but prices are still high........what happened to the big discounts and free rooms?

First of all, I do not believe that most Thais have adequate understanding of marketing techniques to "encourage tourism", or make effective use of pricing tactics.

Secondly, would you mind quoting the source of that "80% decrease" in Chinese tourists? That would be quite a drop, if true. I'd also wonder what the real number would be for the Korean bus tours that we've also seen many of over recent years.

IMO, many permanent resident expats would be happy to see the true "tourist" industry here drop way off. We've seen many express a desire for the area to "upgrade", and become more family oriented. Whether you agree or not (I'm not trying to resurect that discussion here), I think that would happen if the "sex and alcohol" elements of the tourist trade died.

If all (or most) of the prostitutes were to go back to their birthplaces, the tourists seeking that type of entertainment would certainly find other towns in the world where they could satisfy their desires. The large hotels, and other "family" tourist attractions, might actually see an increase in patronage. Such people might be able to convince the myopic government to make serious upgrades to the beach. The same upgrade might follow for the businesses supporting permanent residents; although, frankly, there's a healthy number of such businesses now in place.

So, if Pattaya - the party town - were to die; would it, over a few years, with all of the business already in place, shrink to a safer, cleaner, permanent residence and family resort town? I'm not saying that the "sleeze" elements would totally disappear; simply that they might not dominate as the personality of the town. Just asking.

to the amusement of us residents the Pattaya bashers keep on with their yada, yada, yada, yakety yak. their assumptions are mostly based on hearsay and the opinions of some disgruntled visitors. ah sez... keep up the good job and eat your heart out! :)

I moved over to Jomtien from Pattaya and i have out every night here hunting

Its pretty dead out there. I see some russians and some farang kee nok types milling about but thats it.

I was in this bar on soi 8 and this girl was leaving with a "customer" and all the other girls were laughing at her. I asked the

girl on my lap why they laugh? She said this girl would never go with a guy this fat and ugly before and she "chape hat"..

ITs a buyers market thats for sure, i negotiate prices way down or i just walk over to the next bar.

Suksabai Villa has some very nice houses for rent/sale, as well as the usual grotty ones. So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I know Suksabai, has it changed in the last few years, or is it still likely that your house will have been broken into by the time you have walked to the Soi 17/3rd Road crossroads ?

Same, same.

That's why I'm looking fora roller shutter / grill to close the front entrance to the house.

All rest is secured by built-in grills.

i suggest railings on top of the wall thats on my side. :)

Dave - that whole wall needs to be re-done. If I build it high enough it may keep out the noisy motor-bike at three in the morning. :D

But it is the fromt entrance that has been broken into - 'cos it's only a pair of french doors - not really secure.

I intend to tidy the whole place up, but it ain't easy.

Watch me cut the grass over the next couple of days

Aree we on topic?

So, if Pattaya - the party town - were to die; would it, over a few years, with all of the business already in place, shrink to a safer, cleaner, permanent residence and family resort town? I'm not saying that the "sleeze" elements would totally disappear; simply that they might not dominate as the personality of the town. Just asking.

What would then be the reason to go to Pattaya? And where would the money would come from?

Stop dreaming of the Monaco of the Eastern Seaboard. This thought was born in the ill heads of some smart real estate developers who soon face chapter 11, if the situation persists. MHO.

What would then be the reason to go to Pattaya? And where would the money would come from?

Stop dreaming of the Monaco of the Eastern Seaboard. This thought was born in the ill heads of some smart real estate developers who soon face chapter 11, if the situation persists. MHO.

Somebody, in an earlier post, asked about where I got the 80% drop in Chinese tourists from same time last year comment......it was from either today's Bangkok Post or Nation (don't remember which). The govt. is spending money to bring Chinese tourists back to make up for the diminish numbers of Western tourists.

Dave - that whole wall needs to be re-done. If I build it high enough it may keep out the noisy motor-bike at three in the morning. :D

But it is the fromt entrance that has been broken into - 'cos it's only a pair of french doors - not really secure.

Aree we on topic?

It was before midnight with the bike the other night. :D

I've got a sliding steel door made for my french windows.

:)

Aree we on topic?

It was before midnight with the bike the other night. :D

I've got a sliding steel door made for my french windows.

Geeting back on topic.........is Pattaya dead? Does it seem like the number of Western tourists and long stay expats are down from the same time last year?

What about Chinese tourists? The govt. is trying hard to get them to come to Thailand and many probably want to go see what Pattaya is all about. Are they coming like they did at this time last year?

Are businesses closing?

Are people being laid off?

Is it easy now to rent your condo out to a foreigner at a high price?

Are you lot retired rich or have businessnesses?

Probably mixture of all three

Nope. Just lucking enough to work in an industry that doesn't feel the pain of the current financial situation. So long as I have an internet connection, I'm making money in multiple currencies.

Have a few years left in me before I retire. Though truth be told, I can't ever see myself just not working at something.

Oh no, not another successful, self-made, millionaire/wealthy individual, who just happens to enjoy living in Pattaya but disapproves of it. If you don't like the place <deleted> made you live here?

Where does it say that he disapproves of Pattaya? And if you think that he enjoys living in Pattaya, you've answered you own question!

I know of 4 regular visitors to Pattaya, who probably used to spend about 8 months a year there. They's work in the building trade in the Uk and when they got enough cash together, back to party town again. Their budget about 3000 Baht/day.

when I saw these guys last year, they were not able to spend so long in Pattaya because the strong baht had cut down their spending power and they were unlikely to be back for some time because the jobs in the Uk were just not there anymore.

I guess this is a common story, so there will be a lot less visitors.

Friends of mine came on holiday to Thailand for the first time. They stayed the first 2 nights in Bangkok and it unfortunately coincided with the 2 day elections. Their first impressions of Thailand were not good, they could not believe that they could go on holiday and not get a drink for 2 days. First impressions stayed with them and they will not holiday in Thailand again.

Other expats that I know of have shifted to Cambodia. They don't qualify for a 1 year extension and were peed off with the constantly changing rules and didn't want to waste the time and money on getting tourist visas.

There are reasons other than the bars and girls for people to go on vacation. Some of the resorts are pretty much "self-contained" for what some people want from a vacation. I suggested that the beach could be cleaned up. It that were done, there would be plenty of reason for folks to come here and escape the cold and snow of the intemperate latitudes. Authentic Thai food, the animals, Thai culture ... all, and more, provide plenty of reason for many people to spend a week or two here.

I'm no prude. Far from it! But Pattaya could have it's "single man" entertainment, without having most of the downtown/beach area look like a brothel, with a few other shops thrown in here and there.

I know a lot of mixed families that live in Thailand and go to Pattaya almost every vacation because it is such a bargain.

The truth is that most adults realize that a lot of bargirls are prostitutes, but children have no idea. If they don't go into a Go-Go bar, all they know is that there are a lot of freindly Thai girls in Pattaya who make a fuss over them. Most beach resorts have a lot of pretty girls with a lot of skin showing.

Don't let small-minded, Puritanical types ruin a wonderful place for the rest of us! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just got back from a 28 night stay at the Sabi Inn. The bars at the top of Soi 2 and the bars on 2nd road opposite Big C were all deathly quite. Passed Honey Pot about midnight a couple of times and there were about 2 customers in there. Noticed quite a few Middle Eastern tourists in Walking Street and hardly heard any Russian spoken at all on my trip.

Kept hearing all the time "No Customers". I always fly Eva Air on my trips to Thailand. The flight from LHR is usually about 75% Brits flying out to Thailand. On my flight out i would say the flight was about 75% Taiwanese. Maybe a large tour party going home but few farang on the flight.

I know a lot of mixed families that live in Thailand and go to Pattaya almost every vacation because it is such a bargain.

The truth is that most adults realize that a lot of bargirls are prostitutes, but children have no idea. If they don't go into a Go-Go bar, all they know is that there are a lot of freindly Thai girls in Pattaya who make a fuss over them. Most beach resorts have a lot of pretty girls with a lot of skin showing.

Don't let small-minded, Puritanical types ruin a wonderful place for the rest of us! :)

:D:D:D

How true.

Was at RG last tuesday and it was DEAD DEAD DEAD. Spent about two hours and the parking charge was 50baht. They really know how to encourage people to return.

Was in Aberdeen last wednesday and it was DEID DEID DEID. Spent about one hour and the parking charge was 2quid. They really know how to encourage people to return.

chuck, if you actually spent some money at an RG shop and got your RG parking ticket validated....

two hours walking around a mall? <deleted>?

This was beaten to death on another thread. The discounts and freebies are for Thai's ONLY. It's traditionally the low-end of the low-season so why waste time trying to entice westerners to come here when there's hundreds-of-thousands of locals living in the huge dormitory towns, just beyond the 'dark-side', all easily within a 40 minute drive of Pattaya/Jomtien beaches.

Those with a (perpetually boring) xenophobic, racist spleen to vent, please feel free to step in right here.

Edited by NanLaew

I go to Pattaya twice a year to do a "restaurant tour" of my favorite restaurants and meals. Its reasonably priced and great variety of Western food.

And I agree its not compulsory to sleep with prostitutes. Pattaya has other attractions.

It is quiet at the moment. I stopped for a coke at one of the big bar beer complexes with the Thai boxing ring in the middle, about 20 largish bars around the ring and saw a total of about 15 customers in all the bars. This was about 8 o clock at night.

Also, I had a couple of beers in the beer bars on Soi 8 and both bars I went to charged 160 Baht for a lady drink. Needless to say I quickly left and never returned to that soi. 160 Baht in a bar beer is just ridiculous. I wonder if they'll connect this to customers not returning.

Another thing, where have the pretty women gone? Maybe I'm spoiled by living in Chiang Mai, but the average age of the women working in the bar beers here seems to be around 30 now, and they're rough looking, overweight and badly groomed as well!

They hate it and they are doing everything they can to make life miserable for western social rejects. They even resorted to bringing Russians and their families.

I feel a Russian bashing coming on?

Along the way, they made Russians be treated as any foreigner from the West - 30 days visa on arrival.

Before. it was 15 days, 50EUR visa on arrival.

And TG's 4 flights a week to Moscow.

Here is how they come, Russian wide body planes at Utapao:

Some even claim the theritory. From that shithole hotel at Jomtien Soi 6 (where the Post office is) to Welcome Inn:

Pattaya Park Hotel - Thais even introduced a panel of cashiers to charge Russians for a 20 baht worth (sold for more) meals:

The idea was, my guess, the same as what Donald Trump did with his condo building at Manhattan. He wanted it demolished but current tenants put up a fight. He just let street bums occupy several of dormant units. All the high nosed tenants left and the building was demolished, no more lawsuits.

By the way, Russians are nothing like poverty packers coming to Pattaya and asking here "Need a hotel up to 800B with free Internet".

I was wrong. This is a full-fledged Russian-hatin' rant!

What's the deal t_t_m? Did the Russians steal some of your family's land, rape your granddaughters or... just happening to be making money hand over fist and enjoying the privileges it affords them much better than you ever did?

Actually, I don't really care for your narrow-minded, self-justification for such hateful statements. I prefer to give the Russian visitors a welcoming hug (especially the ladies), a handshake, a bottle of vodka and if I had a hotel, they would all get complimentary Russian flags to hang on their balconies (that was a Soviet flag in the picture you posted btw, NOT a Russian one).

Also a BIG HAND to the entrepreneurial beach crap vendors and masseuses that have taken the initiative to learn a few words of Russian so they can maintain an income. How much Russian do you speak t_t_m? By the same token, how much Thai?

Another thing, where have the pretty women gone? Maybe I'm spoiled by living in Chiang Mai, but the average age of the women working in the bar beers here seems to be around 30 now, and they're rough looking, overweight and badly groomed as well!

Sorry 'bout that. I'll have a word with them.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Err did you look at some of the customers they go with?

When i get an exceptional stunner I always exchange phone #s for future excursions. In the last couple weeks my cells been ringing

like crazy - "me no have work, i want see you darling" etc / 1 month ago not many calls

I am liking jomtien, when i lived in pattaya a full blow out night with all the trimmings was costing me 5-10k baht, here in

jomtien the same sanook is 3-4k baht. The stunners are a bit harder to find but they out there.

I go to Pattaya twice a year to do a "restaurant tour" of my favorite restaurants and meals. Its reasonably priced and great variety of Western food.

And I agree its not compulsory to sleep with prostitutes. Pattaya has other attractions.

Very good points and something we locals often take for granted. Maybe the city officials should highlight the restaurant scene a little more in their marketing and promotional materials.

Also, the active stuff like the Bali Hai GoGoCart track is better than any in Bangkok...loads of fun.

I cant walk past a single motorbike taxi guy, massage shop, beer bar, tailor, restaurant etc etc.... without getting hassled like never before, and when i blank them i get a rude comment, it'd be taking the p7ss for me to say no thankyou to everyone of them.

A polite "no thank you" or a "no" with a smile does wonders...in fact, just the other day, when I politely turned down the entreaties of one of the massage girls, she replied "thank you for the smile." She had a laugh when I replied "no problem...it's free." :)

These people are just trying to make a living...I always try to understand that.

I cant walk past a single motorbike taxi guy, massage shop, beer bar, tailor, restaurant etc etc.... without getting hassled like never before, and when i blank them i get a rude comment, it'd be taking the p7ss for me to say no thankyou to everyone of them.

I have noticed that too. Its getting a bit too intense out there ... Its starting to remind me more of a poor area of South America these days.

Things must be very very bad for bar businesses...a friend and I were out on the town last nite in the Soi Diana and the beer-bar complex opposite Mike's Mall on 2nd Road and just about every mammasan/bar manager were pleading with us to come in and just have 1 drink. They all pleaded that they had so little customers and many of them were offering 2 for 1 drinks and one said "any drink for B 60." It was sad really...I actually felt sorry for them.. I have never seen/heard desperation like this before in Pattaya/Thailand. :)

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I have noticed that too. Its getting a bit too intense out there ... Its starting to remind me more of a poor area of South America these days.

It's about time many of them started working a bit harder for customers instead of lolling around waiting for a customer to beg for some service. Does 'em good. Can't beat a recession to waken people up.

Very good points and something we locals often take for granted. Maybe the city officials should highlight the restaurant scene a little more in their marketing and promotional materials.

Also, the active stuff like the Bali Hai GoGoCart track is better than any in Bangkok...loads of fun.

I agree about the restaurants - I live in BKK but have a weekend condo in Patts. The restaurants for me are the best attraction - cheap, various, plentiful and very competitive. Overall better selection than in BKK. But the set menus and buffets are a scourge when it comes to trying to maintain some kind of diet.