Farang Tsunami Volunteers And Work Permits

Hi everyone,

One of my friends just emailed me to say that he has been told that, as a tsunami volunteer in Thailand, he must get a work permit. Apparently ( and this is second hand on my part ) he'd be jailed if he continues his efforts without one.

He's perplexed and ticked off that he has been threatened instead of simply advised. Beyond that, he does not know what is involved.

My understanding of work permits is that they require an actual job that pays real money (and a serious amount for visa purposes).

How is a volunteer, not drawing any salary, but putting in his time and effort, his money and others, to help truly needy victims of the tsunami going to get a work permit?

Does anyone know what's going on here?

My friend abandoned his personal exploration of Asia to come to the aid of Thais right after the disaster occurred. He has gathered money from friends to do real work helping fishermen get their boats back into the water.

I can understand requiring some kind of registration and documentation of intent, etc., but a work permit makes no sense to me. I'd like to help my friend deal with this. Any insight and practical advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!