Do You Actually Carry Your Passport/visa In Bangkok

phetaroi

I carry my Thai driving licence, that'll do.

Do you know this as a fact or are you assuming it? I also carry my Thai driving license instead of the passport, but I really don't know if it will suffice. Have ever been stopped and asked for the passport?

Do you know this as a fact or are you assuming it? I also carry my Thai driving license instead of the passport, but I really don't know if it will suffice. Have ever been stopped and asked for the passport?

well if you are worried about it carry both.

btw, i have been asked for mine once, but after i said its at my office and yanked out my Thai health insurance card, it was enough. Depends on the individual I guess.

(Touching wood), I don't carry mine as a rule...more chance of losing it / damaging it IMO than getting asked for it.

well if you are worried about it carry both.

btw, i have been asked for mine once, but after i said its at my office and yanked out my Thai health insurance card, it was enough. Depends on the individual I guess.

(Touching wood), I don't carry mine as a rule...more chance of losing it / damaging it IMO than getting asked for it.

I am not worried about it (or I would carry the passport). I am curious though, given some have made comments that the Thai DL is sufficient. I think it is, but I really don't know. What I am sure of is that the Thai DL allows me to pay Thai prices where dual pricing exists. This I have tested (many times), but the Thai DL/passport issue is not one I have personal experience with.

• 5 weeks later...

There are two different scenarios, i.e. two different types of police. The run-of-the-mill (not meant derogatively) "BIB", and the "Immigrations Police."

The BIB are probably going to be satisfied with a Thai drivers license or a photocopy of your passport.

However, if for some reason you are stopped by the Immigrations Police, they will want to see your actual, bona fide passport and nothing short of it will be adequate. And, of course, your visa, entry card and 90-day reports (if applicable) must be in order for the Immigrations Police.

Australian DFAT website http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

Foreigners are required to carry identification at all times.

Your passport is a valuable document that is attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. It should always be kept in a safe place. You are required by Australian law to report a lost or stolen passport. If your passport is lost or stolen overseas, report it online or contact the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as possible.

You are required to pay an additional fee to have a lost or stolen passport replaced. In some cases, the Government may also restrict the length of validity or type of replacement passports.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Australian I use the guide above and carry a photocopy of my passport.

The passport is the property of the Australian Government.

However I have used a current Australian Drivers Licence in one instance when

I had to report a lost Thai ATM card several years ago to the Police, they charged

me 50THB for the statement which I took to my bank.

A passport is your ID, the visa or entry stamp is the permision given by the Thai

authorities for you to be in the country.

One should point out that the requirement "to carry your passport at all times" is in the

Immigration legislation, the fact is not made apparent to anyone entering the country

in writing.

ID means a document that has a photograph, your name and DOB.

T Driving License,laminated photo copy of PP and Non Imi Visa plus photo-copy of wife ID with a get out of jail message on it.

Although I try to look suspicous I have never been stopped in al the ...years.....

T DL good for domestic travel and Banks ...and even got through the back door a Heathrow once (customs -identify and pick up a bag) with my laminated UK PP photo copied thingy... :)

• 4 weeks later...

If u walk on Sukhumvit Road by Soi 23-33 carry a passport, ID and DO NOT CARRY A PHOTOCOPY OF UR PASSPORT

I CARRIED MY ID AND A PHOTOCOPY AND THE SO CALLED COP WANTED TO SEE MY ACTUAL OR HE WAS GOING TO TAKE ME TO THE STATION....HE WAS ON A BIKE AND WANTED ME TO GIVE HIM 500 BHAT AND I DID NOT

I MADE A SCENE AND GRABBED EVERY AMERICAN OR LOOKED LIKE AN AMERICAN TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON CAUSE HE WAS NOT TRYING TO GIVE ME MY PHOTOCOPY PASSPORT BACK AND I TILD HIM I HAVE THE ACTUAL IN THE SAFE

SO IF U GOT OUT THERE AND HAVE IT AS A COPY BE CAREFUL.....I WALKED ALONE SO THATS PROBABLY WHY I WAS TARGETED,,,NO SURE

AND THIS WAS JUST ON SAT,SEPT 5TH

Yes, I've heard the stories about the Thong Lor division cops pulling that. Me, I don't even carry a wallet. Just the money I intend to spend and my ATM card. Never had a run in with the BIB and hope never to have the displeasure. I have a laminated copy of my passport but always forget to bring it with me. My passport doesn't leave my safe.

Only Driver License, never carry my passport! :)

Ditto. I never, ever carry a passport unless I am going to deal with the bureaucracy.

Even most of the embassies officially recommend to expat residents abroad that they keep their passports in a safe place, and care only a copy. If I lost my passport as often as I lose my wallet, I'd be in a <deleted>-load of trouble. :D

Almost 10 years in BKK.

Never carried passport or copy.

Never been stopped or asked for it.

I carry a bank card my bank from my homecountry gave me, with a picture on it, with my birth date.

If needed in hotels, or clubs, I say it is a national ID card from my country.

They can not argue that.

Almost 10 years in BKK.

I carry a bank card my bank from my homecountry gave me, with a picture on it, with my birth date.

They can not argue that.

Assuming your bank card has a mastercard/visa-type logo on it, they still buy your story? Amazing. If so, I can't imagine that many dumb business people.

I never carry my passport with me.

Only once have I ever been asked for it which was in bizarre circumstances, I was in Moscow about fifteen years ago and wanted to go into a nightclub, the soldiers (yes soliders !) on the door needed to see a passport so I needed to return to my hotel and get it. The nightclub was completely empty and I didn't even buy a drink, I just left.

Almost 10 years in BKK.

They can not argue that.

Assuming your bank card has a mastercard/visa-type logo on it, they still buy your story? Amazing. If so, I can't imagine that many dumb business people.

Yes with the Visa logo on.

And the picture with my birth date, etc on the other side.

Checked in to a hotel recently in Bangkok when my apartment was being painted.

No problem.

Happened before as well.

Oh yes, before I forget it. To the funny ones here. It was not a short time hotel.

Have also used it many other places.

If you, as a Thai stand in the door to a place, you could not argue when I told you it was a national ID card from my home country.

How would you know anyhow?

Dont know about dumb business people, since I have only used it for "business" when I paid my hotel bill, or other bigger items for the apartment.

So yes, I have never had any trouble using that card as an ID card.

Almost 10 years here.

I never carry my passport with me.

Only once have I ever been asked for it which was in bizarre circumstances, I was in Moscow about fifteen years ago and wanted to go into a nightclub, the soldiers (yes soliders !) on the door needed to see a passport so I needed to return to my hotel and get it. The nightclub was completely empty and I didn't even buy a drink, I just left.

Only once in my life as well.

In San Diego, in 1997.

Would not let me into a pub/restaurant without my pass port.

I guess they though i looked like an illegal from nearest country down south.

:)

No problem, walked on and found another nice place.

• 4 weeks later...

Normally never carry my passport with me.

If it was lost,or more likely pickpocketed by some ladyboy at Asok that it would cause so much hassle to replace the passport and visa.

But if I am staying in another part of Thailand (besides Bangkok ) than I bring it with me as most if not all hotels/hostels want to see your passport when you check in.