Retiring

Hi.

I am English and would like to know what the requirements are for retirement to Thailand.

I would make at least one trip a year back to Blighty.

I am single and aged 50 yrs.

Thanking you in advance for replies :o

Hello, triman. As I recall, you're the "p****d off Brit" ? We have long memories here - and an even better search engine.

Talking of which, if you hit the button 5th from the right at the top of your screen (it's labelled "search") you can enter the word "retirement" and you will get these results:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...lite=retirement

There are currently 18 pages of topics about retirement. Feel free to read some of them.

Hi.

You come out on a non-immigrant visa. ( 3 months) Towards the end of that, you apply for a retirement visa at your local Immigration.

!/ You will require 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank. you can open one when you first arrive.

2/

you will need a letter from the bank to say you have this money in the bank.

Cost, about 400 Baht.

3 You will need 2 recent photos, passport size, and photocopies of your passport. About 3 different pages. Varies everytime I go.

4/

The cost for a single entry, which means you cannot go out the country that year is 1.900 baht Or a multi-entry, which allows you to go out and return.( double the cost)

5/ Sometimes, they ask for a medical certificate. Price varies from 100 to 300 baht. At 50, I don't think you will need one.

6/

If you have a company pension equal to 800,000 Baht. Go to the British Embassy in Bangkok, with all necessary proof of income. They will give you a letter of confirmation. Cost 1,500 baht. It can be used as part of your cash in bank requirements, if your pension is insufficient. Pension + cash in bank = 800,000 baht.

Hope thats of some use to you. Good luck

Have you looked at getting it done at home. I just went thru the process, rather easy, and am looking forward landing as a visa holder. I have learned that getting a Thai DL is quite easy also. Have and Int'l permit, your home land DL and a few things to chase down and your in the pink. I will take only and eye test and be given a DL that day in Phuket. <deleted> blokes whom used he Int;l permit whilst the home DL ran out have a written and road test. Will I be driving in Bangers...not a chance but have and will drive in Phuket.....Love to take a girlie for a ride into the no where and have a round or two under the trees. Lovely...

Also, the coppers like the Thai DL, you'll get some discounts on Air other stuff with the DL as it show legal residence and your passport number is on the little bugger. YOu'll need your home DL/INt'l permit translated, certificate of Residency, health form (same as for Non Immi O visa will work) and off you go. All this has bee discussed here before and I actually downloaded the DL info from a link provided. Go Get'em

4/  The cost for a single entry, which means you cannot go out the country that year is 1.900 baht Or a multi-entry, which allows you to go out and return.( double the cost)

This is a new one to me. Anyone else shed any light?

:o

In the context it was written, I have no idea!!!!!

Once you have your extension you will need a re-entry permit of you want to leave the country for you trip to England. That is 1000 baht for a single.

But all this is covered here!!

4/  The cost for a single entry, which means you cannot go out the country that year is 1.900 baht Or a multi-entry, which allows you to go out and return.( double the cost)

This is a new one to me. Anyone else shed any light?

:o

In the context it was written, I have no idea!!!!!

Once you have your extension you will need a re-entry permit of you want to leave the country for you trip to England. That is 1000 baht for a single.

But all this is covered here!!

and 3,800 baht for a multi ( valid for the year )

I'm retiring to Thailand in June and will be coming out with a Non-Immigrant O type visa to begin with. I seem to recall that I can apply for this up to 3 months in advance, which in my case would be the middle of March. Is this still the case?

Alan

I'm retiring to Thailand in June and will be coming out with a Non-Immigrant O type visa to begin with. I seem to recall that I can apply for this up to 3 months in advance, which in my case would be the middle of March. Is this still the case?

Alan

With a single entry visa you must enter Thailand within 90 days of the date of issue. The period of stay begins once you arrive.

On my trip home to Houston in April, I'll get a new one-year visa, probably my third non-immigrant B. But would it be easier, as a US citizen, to show them I've got well over a million baht in US banks, and pensions well over the limit, and just get a retirement visa in Houston? Now, let's say I came back to Thailand and wanted to work WITHOUT a work permit, part-time teaching. The schools don't care, and Immigration wouldn't know I'm working unless they busted my place of work and saw my retirement visa. I don't have to work; it just keeps me off the streets during the day.

I can still get the non-imm B every year, since I go home anyway, but might it be easier to have the retirement visa?

The schools don't care, and Immigration wouldn't know I'm working unless they busted my place of work and saw my retirement visa

Or, if someone snitched you off to immigration, which happens fairly often in Chiang Mai, from what I've heard.... Mostly farang snitching on farang, but any Thai who becomes annoyed with you could just as easily be the one who drops the dime on you, whether they know your vulnerable position or not. Might get the ball rolling on checking you out, then 'poof' (no pun intended :o ), you're behind bars...

Good luck. :D

Edited by Ajarn

I've just telephoned the Thai consulate in Glasgow and when I enquired whether they would be able to issue a Non-Immigrant visa, I was asked for the purpose of my visit to Thailand. Foolishly, I said retirement and was told that the ONLY route I could follow was to obtain the retirement visa in this country, which is a pain as it means full medical and police reports etc.

I queried this and was told that there was no way I could get any other kind of visa converted to a retirement visa in Thailand and that she had been doing the job for 18 years so she knew better than anyone else.

Any suggestions on how to get round this? Problem is that I will still be 49 though I will be 50 (by a few days) when I enter Thailand.

Think I'll try the consulate in Hull.

Alan

Ok A couple of really stupid questions but after what I was told by the Thai Consul in Glasgow, I want to ensure that no problems are encountered in Hull when I apply in person for a Non-Imigrant "O" visa. My intention is to use this as the basis for applying for a retirement visa once I'm in Thailand.

What should I put against "proposed duration of stay?" I may apply for a multiple entry visa as I will, initially, only be in the kingdom for around 7 weeks before going back to Scotland for 2 - 3 weeks to finalise a few matters.

Also, what should I put against "Purose of visit" and "Travel details after Thailand"?

The Hull office, is I believe very helpful but I don't want to make things more difficult than necessary.

Alan

Ok A couple of really stupid questions but after what I was told by the Thai Consul in Glasgow, I want to ensure that no problems are encountered in Hull when I apply in person for a Non-Imigrant "O" visa. My intention is to use this as the basis for applying for a retirement visa once I'm in Thailand.

What should I put against "proposed duration of stay?" I may apply for a multiple entry visa as I will, initially, only be in the kingdom for around 7 weeks before going back to Scotland for 2 - 3 weeks to finalise a few matters.

Also, what should I put against "Purose of visit" and "Travel details after Thailand"?

The Hull office, is I believe very helpful but I don't want to make things more difficult than necessary.

Alan

PURPOSE Retirement STAY 90 days TRAVEL Return to UK :o

Alan

PURPOSE Retirement STAY 90 days TRAVEL Return to UK :o

Apply for a multiple to be sure :D

What is referred to as the 1 year retirement visa is actually a 1 year extension of your initial non imm visa, be it single or multi entry. Best to get the initial non imm visa in your home country. The 1 year extension can only be obtained from immigration once you arrive in thailand.

Alan

Non-Imigrant "O" Multiple entry Visa

PURPOSE: Tourist

STAY: 75 days (ie more than 60, less than 90)

If you say Retirement this may lead to additional questions as you have already encountered.

Unless you plan to retire for 90 days then return to work. :o

You should be able to obtain a new multi entry O visa with your marriage certificate and perhaps also need copy of wife ID card. Not all Consulates are happy to provide but if you obtained in Bahrain previously they probably will again. No money, except for visa cost, is required. As you have employment out side of Thailand and they know it there should not be a problem. There is no reason for you to try and change to B type as that requires different paperwork which you would not have. Go with the O.