Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Dear All,

Where does one find all the traffic rules and regs for Thailand? My cousin is taking the exam in a couple of weeks and she wants to read up on it.

Thanks

Failing what ' freemindxs ' said go to your local DLT office.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now c'mon Steve, don't be a narky little so and so, let's not quibble over a trivial point (I'll overlook that you contradicted yourself in your last statement). We both know that a requirement in Thailand does not necessarily mean it is needed.

The point however is that I prefer to make sure others know the complete and correct information which they can then use to decide whether to use or not based on what they have read. It's surely got to be better than taking as gospel what some nutcracker has said his experience has been.

It's my attention to crossing the t's and dotting the i's that ensures I always have a positive experience when dealing with Thai bureaucracy, in and out with minimum fuss and no coming Thaivisa crying because I didn't take the correct paperwork...

Back to the IDP - well, the worst that can happen when applying for a DL without it is that you may have to to the tests rather than just being issued your license, and for the princely sum of £5.50 for the IDP.. well it's a no brainer (no dig intended btw Steve)

One wonders what the Insurance company's stance is on the IDP, as we all know they delight in using technicalities to renege on paying, certainly worth a dotted i and a crossed t I should say !

totster smile.png

1st sentence agree some except no contradicted made, think about it. blink.png

2nd sentence, well you should think about that too the nutcracker may be right. biggrin.png

3rd sentence, so serious, I just take the Mrs so nothing gets lost in translation.rolleyes.gif

4th sentence, not technically true laugh.png that may be true at certain DLT's certainly not all, so could be seen as mis-leading.sad.png

5th sentence, I don't wonder at all, blink.png I check it out, some insurers require a Thai licensed driver some don't, a IDP just confirms in many laguages what the license holder is entitled to drive, and English only is sufficient along with your photo on the license, an IDP is not a license.coffee1.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

1st sentence agree some except no contradicted made, think about it. blink.png

I did think about it, but as I said I overlooked the contradiction - your agreement with the rest of the sentence gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, so thanks for that old bean !

2nd sentence, well you should think about that too the nutcracker may be right. biggrin.png

I wholeheartedly agree, however my point wasn't that they were wrong as I'm sure you see when you read it properly.

3rd sentence, so serious, I just take the Mrs so nothing gets lost in translation.rolleyes.gif

That's fantastic my good man ! Your wife sounds like a saint.

4th sentence, not technically true laugh.png that may be true at certain DLT's certainly not all, so could be seen as mis-leading.sad.png

Again, it comes back to my first sentence and back to my original point, so thanks for agreeing with me, makes things much more friendly.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

5th sentence, I don't wonder at all, blink.png I check it out, some insurers require a Thai licensed driver some don't, a IDP just confirms in many laguages what the license holder is entitled to drive, and English only is sufficient along with your photo on the license, an IDP is not a license.coffee1.gif

You seem like a very prudent person, certainly a man after my own heart ! Unfortunately we can't rely on everyone to be as meticulous as we are so it's best to be very clear with our answers. BTW, thanks for pointing out the obvious to me, it's much appreciated smile.png

totster smile.png

No, you don't need an IDP in Thailand. Please check the many discussions here on the subject.

Why don't you be a good fellow and re-read my post, and while you are at it stop misleading people.

totster smile.png

Naw, just read what has been written about thisd and stop writing 'IDP is technically required', when it is not for a vast majority of people.

Now c'mon Steve, don't be a narky little so and so, let's not quibble over a trivial point (I'll overlook that you contradicted yourself in your last statement). We both know that a requirement in Thailand does not necessarily mean it is needed.

The point however is that I prefer to make sure others know the complete and correct information which they can then use to decide whether to use or not based on what they have read. It's surely got to be better than taking as gospel what some nutcracker has said his experience has been.

It's my attention to crossing the t's and dotting the i's that ensures I always have a positive experience when dealing with Thai bureaucracy, in and out with minimum fuss and no coming Thaivisa crying because I didn't take the correct paperwork...

Back to the IDP - well, the worst that can happen when applying for a DL without it is that you may have to to the tests rather than just being issued your license, and for the princely sum of £5.50 for the IDP.. well it's a no brainer (no dig intended btw Steve)

One wonders what the Insurance company's stance is on the IDP, as we all know they delight in using technicalities to renege on paying, certainly worth a dotted i and a crossed t I should say !

totster smile.png

No one wonders wht the rental companies do, that has been answered many times already: no IDP required, same as the law does not require an IDP. Home license (provided in English) is all that is required for a tourist to legally drive here. If license is not in English IDP is required.

No one wonders wht the rental companies do, that has been answered many times already: no IDP required, same as the law does not require an IDP. Home license (provided in English) is all that is required for a tourist to legally drive here. If license is not in English IDP is required.

Doing some research it seems that a license issued by a foreign government that has a treaty signed with the Thai government may be used without an IDP.. So I will concede that point thumbsup.gif

HOWEVER, and it's a big however.. this only applies to tourists... anyone with an immigrant visa, yellow book, owns a vehicle, children in school etc (i.e living in Thailand) is NOT covered by this treaty and is therefore required to have a Thai Driving License.

Interesting little discussion methinks...personally, if I was in the situation would definitely splash out on the £5.50 for an IDP.. peace of mind, crossing the t's and dotting the i's and all that !

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Doing some research it seems that a license issued by a foreign government that has a treaty signed with the Thai government may be used without an IDP.. So I will concede that point thumbsup.gif

HOWEVER, and it's a big however.. this only applies to tourists... anyone with an immigrant visa, yellow book, owns a vehicle, children in school etc (i.e living in Thailand) is NOT covered by this treaty and is therefore required to have a Thai Driving License.

Interesting little discussion methinks...personally, if I was in the situation would definitely splash out on the £5.50 for an IDP.. peace of mind, crossing the t's and dotting the i's and all that !

totster smile.png

Good, so the question is answered, he does not need an IDP.

And yes, peopleliving here need an IDP, which is exactly what I'm saying here for years already.

And yes, no harm at all in havung an IDP, maybe even of help with fines etc.

totster smile.png

And yes, peopleliving here need an IDP, which is exactly what I'm saying here for years already.

Nothing like a sanctimonious reply to end the discussion, it's been a pleasure !

totster :)

totster smile.png

Nothing like a sanctimonious reply to end the discussion, it's been a pleasure !

totster smile.png

Sorry, my second line should be: people living here need a Thai DL.

I would not call my reply sanctimonious though, with me saying you are right on 2 counts, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Your reply however ...

Put this on a thread a day or so ago, maybe it should be on here :-

" Seems a bit of confusion as to what an IDP is ".

Always a bit of a grey area, basically the reason for IDP is for persons living in countries that do not have any written English of what type of vehicle entitlement they can drive etc etc on their licenses.

e.g. If say you have an old UK license with no picture you need an IDP.

Futher info below, if you are tourist or not etc.

If your license from your country has your picture and information all in written English you only have to check with the country that you are going to drive in to find out if it requires an IDP because a translation of the English maybe required.

The only way to do this is ask at the countries Embassy in question.

As for Thailand :-

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.

The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.

This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.

In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident (such as enrolling kids in school, buy a car etc,) and are no longer a toursit, you need a Thai drivers licence as your national license and international driving permit is only legally accepted if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand. And as they say " It's up to you " laugh.png laugh.png

I went for my license yesterday. OMB! Just when you think you've seen it
all...

Almost 7 years ago, I applied for and got a 1yr [temp] Thai license.
Given I could support my driving history with a UK one, I simply had to spend
15 minutes following colours around a board (the RED was actually PINK/CERISE in
those days), pull some strings, press a break [in time], and stick my head in a
[partially reflective] box to check my peripheral vision.

A little over a year later I went and applied for [and got] my 5yr
license (without the need for any further ‘training’; both licenses actually
lasted longer than the suggested duration because they were rounded-up to my
birthday/date. Yesterday I applied for my new 5yr, as mine will expire whilst I’m
away.

…OMB! Again. Because I’m not currently working here, I have no choice
than to be on a [long] tourist visa. That said, they would only issue another
temporary 1yr visa. I then insisted on a meeting with the big-cheese (she did
actually have a very nice attitude, and did what she could to help). I was
clearly told that the law states no 5yr licenses can be issued to foreigners on
TR visas. I impressed upon her that at the time of both previous applications I
was in-between jobs and therefore on TR visas. She told me the previous
[issuing] DLT office had made a mistake and should never have given me the 5yr.
NB. There comes a time when you know presenting more facts will get you
nowhere, so conserve your energy.

Accepting this fate, I then go for a re-test (didn’t need to do that for
my 5yr license, and I’m only 43yrs old, what’s that?). The [low-tech] equipment
has been upgraded a little, but essentially the same as before. The two Chinese
women in front of me were having difficulty in understanding how to operate the
…er…machines, and also what they were supposed to achieve; the officer kindly
prompted them to the point of doing it for them. Very helpful.

15 minutes later, I’m placed in a classroom to watch a ONE-HOUR LONG DVD
about a (2+1) family who have a nasty/arrogant neighbouring driver; this guy is
pretty much the ilk of what you generally see on Thai roads, though I am sure
the video was portraying him to be the minority, and the fluffy/sensible/law
abiding/perfect young family to be the majority – you gotta love this place.

5 minutes in, the DVD has finished! All the other attendees leave, and I’m
sitting like a lemon, wondering what’s going on. I then get hustled to another
room that has English subtitles, and told I need to watch again [for the full
hour]. After approximately 30 minutes, the lady told me that was enough, I’ve
passed!

For sure this [DLT] department/office is following the rules as set out
by their government, but I’ve never had to sit and endure this video before. I’m
in my 8th [official] year of driving in Thailand, I still have my UK
license to support my driving history, and I’m coming off of a 5yr version,
back down to a 1yr [temp].

I would love to hear of other’s experiences, having a similar record to
mine.

Put this on a thread a day or so ago, maybe it should be on here again :-

Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand. And as they say " It's up to you " laugh.png laugh.png

Above is for IDL.

Your 1 year is better than nowt.

Hey

41 pages and going strong

Unfortunately this amount of reading got me lost. I know that the question has been answered, so forgive me for asking again

Can anyone confirm the following

Holding a one year driving licence expired on May the 15th, I am willing to renew it for a 5 year.

To do so I will have to

1) get a medical certificate ( not older than a month at the time of the renewal)

2) the adequate proof of residence and visa ( I know what is needed)

3) no need for any test to be taken (again as it a year or so since that was done)

4) bring along the papers, in my name, of the car I drive in Thailand

5) 600 something for the car, and 4 00 something for the motorcycle , add a 500 for an international

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, I have read that if the licence is more than 14 month old since it was issued, the tests will have to be taken once more and the licence will be, again , for one year. True?

Thanks

Edited by alyx

Hey Alyx,

If you've read my input (a couple of posts before yours) you'll see that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN/be required. Might I suggest you get in direct contact with the office you intend to use, and get them to advise on the 'order of the day', before you pre-determine what is needed [for that particular DLT branch].

I was blown-away by how much more was involved, over and above anything I'd done for my 1st one-year and susequent 5-year license. Also adding that each time I've applied for new, the old ones had yet to expire.

Further, I don't recall ever needing a medical cert', but then it was a few years ago. RE: the cost, I'm quite sure I paid 3?? THB inc' for the car & bike, just a week ago; not forgetting though that I was only eligible for a new 1-year, due to my current tourist visa.

Hey

41 pages and going strong

Unfortunately this amount of reading got me lost. I know that the question has been answered, so forgive me for asking again

Can anyone confirm the following

Holding a one year driving licence expired on May the 15th, I am willing to renew it for a 5 year.

To do so I will have to

1) get a medical certificate ( not older than a month at the time of the renewal)

2) the adequate proof of residence and visa ( I know what is needed)

3) no need for any test to be taken (again as it a year or so since that was done)

4) bring along the papers, in my name, of the car I drive in Thailand

5) 600 something for the car, and 4 00 something for the motorcycle , add a 500 for an international

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, I have read that if the licence is more than 14 month old since it was issued, the tests will have to be taken once more and the licence will be, again , for one year. True?

Thanks

All depends on where you live and what DLT you go to for renewal.

Best thing anyone can do is make a first visit with what you think you need and they will tell you if you need anything else.

The need for IDL will again depend where you are from and what country you are going to be driving in.

Hey

Just got 5 year licence (after a one year )

No hassles whatsoever

Expired driving licence

Medical certificate

(I had brought along the yellow book but did not show it and was not asked for it)

No tests

Out in one hour

Thanks for the answers

Hey

No hassles whatsoever

Expired driving licence

Medical certificate

(I had brought along the yellow book but did not show it and was not asked for it)

No tests

Out in one hour

Thanks for the answers

It would be good to know where that was so other guys in your area know the drill.smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Renew five year bike & car license in Phuket. June 19, 2013.

Required:

- Original and copy (one for bike one for car) of Certificate of Residence from Immigration (or Work Permit)

- Two copies of picture page and visa page from passport (arrival/departure card NOT required)

- Old licenses

Arrived @ 8:30am. Do break reaction and colour tests. Wait 'til 10 am and watch rules-of-the-road/safety video (english), about 1 hour. Pay for licenses. Get photos. Collect license.

They didn't even ask to see my passport. Total time 8:30 am to about 11:30am.

Just shows that each licencing centre is different.

I arrived in RoiEt last Saturday on a non imm 0 visa and checked what I needed with the licencing centre on Monday. I have the old style paper UK licence for a car but no motorbike.

Apart from the usual documents:

Medical certificate (obtained from a local clinic) 50bht

Residence Certificate (obtained from the local police station) Free Why go to immigration?

On Tuesday morning 8.30am I went to the centre.

My old UK licence was accepted without question for a car TDL.

For the motorbike licence:

The usual eye and reaction test.

Speech about road safety followed by an hour long video in Thai. I was told if I didn't understand Thai it would be ok for me to go and get something to eat and they'll come and get me when it was time for the theory!

Computerised multi-choice theory test of 30 questions (75% to pass) I got 19 first time ....26 on re-test.

The practical test just involved riding on a 9" raised red line for about 30', followed by a ride around the test centre and finally a zigzag between a few cones. Total time of the motorbike practical test was about 2 minutes.

About 10 minutes later I went to the licence issuing desk for my 'mug shots' and was duly presented with my car and motorbike licences valid for 1 year. Total cost was 350bht.

If I had a motorbike licence from the UK as well I was told that all I had to do was the eye and reaction test. They did ask if I had an IDP as that would have been accepted as well. All in all, a pleasant experience from very helpful and polite staff and I walked away with a smile and my licences.

Thanks to both of you

I will keep you posted

I wanted to find out do I need 2 medical certifactes if I am applying for a bike and car license ? I currently have an australian car and bike license and a IDP.

As said before depends on your local DLT, maybe a photocopy of original will be enough, you won't know until you get there.

I wanted to find out do I need 2 medical certifactes if I am applying for a bike and car license ? I currently have an australian car and bike license and a IDP.

What they want depends on what you bring.

Bring just the one and they will want a copy, bring one plus a copy and they will want two, bring two and they will just need the one.

Hey

No hassles whatsoever

Expired driving licence

Medical certificate

No tests

Out in one hour

Thanks for the answers

Which land transport office was this?

Hey

No hassles whatsoever

Expired driving licence

Medical certificate

No tests

Out in one hour

Thanks for the answers

Which land transport office was this?

Look at post No.1013

I just renewed my 5 year Driver's Licence at the Morchit office today so thought I'd give a quick rundown on how it went.

I arrived just after 8:30 armed with these documents,

• Passport
  • Old Licence
  • Letter of Residence from the Australian Embassy (only 600 Baht!)
  • Copies of passport photo, visa, extension and TM6 pages

Went to the information counter on the 2nd floor with all this. The lady told me to write my name on an application form she gave me and then I was sent to counter 17-18. The man there checked all my stuff again and told me to go up to the 3rd floor to do the tests that I had previously done 6 and half years earlier, when I first got the licence. Bumma!

Thanks for this. So no medical cert required at Mo Chit? If you are renewing 5 year licenses for both car and motorcycle, do you need to make a copy of the embassy letter so you can use it for both licenses?

Maybe worth a phone call to Mo Chit DLT and ask them if a letter from your local police station near to where you live will be OK to comfirm your address.

A photocopy is usually aceptable by most DLT's for the applications of both license.