Annual Barbecue

happyvalleylady

location for party  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone needs to bite the bullet and take responsibility for organising this, otherwise it's going to be a thread full of 'what abouts'. I would put my hand up, but I'm not back until late July (I'm happy to help with any arrangements when I get back). I'm also surprised that more interest hasn't been expressed, but I suppose people will jump on board when there is more finality to the arrangements.

Any volunteers?

E:T

Ping,

I am thinking the same: People will start to sign in for this event when it's organized and the free BBQ is served...

But before it needs some work to find the location, the date etc......

Happy to volunteer if u need me to support this event.

Gerd

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will need a few things to be done - more input from members as to suggested actual venues or, in the least, people indicating that they will attend and their preferred type of venue (sports club, bistro, beach bar, etc) and location of venue. There will need to be options of reasonably priced accommodation nearby, for those who want to stay overnight. Once it has been narrowed down to two or three possible venues, SBK will need to be contacted as to TV's specific requirements of the venues. Then the venues will need to be visited and discussion take place with the owners/managers to appreciate whether TV's requirements can be met. Once the preferred location is selected, I understand that TV will then liaise with the proprietor/manager directly.

For a number of reasons, it would be preferred, in my view, for two established members of TV to do the leg work (rather than one on his or her own). Accordingly, since Gerd has generously offered to assist, one more volunteer to assist Gerd would be helpful (and they should then take the reigns). I am happy to assist in any way that I can once I get back.

I think the biggest problem now is the location.

Many want it further north as the last few have been in the south.

Unfortunately, i can think of a 2 or 3 good places but they are all in the south.

For those up north, how about some suggestions.

The only thing suggested so far was in Jung Ceylon and i have to agree with whoever said that a party in a mall is not my idea of a night out and i certainly wouldn't want to take my wife there ($$$)

Thinking out loud: How about Phuket Beach Meridian (expensive i'm sure, but centrally located)

Merlin Beach resort near Patong.

Watermark bar and restaurant? (boat lagoon)

Laguna's private beach north of their complex???

I realize most of these places are very expensive but who knows this time of year what kind of deals they'll make???

also:

I know of a nice, big restaurant right on Nai Yang beach although i don't remember the name.

The problem seems to be that it's more touristy in the north and thus, more expensive options IMO.

Phuket Brewery is a good central location with both indoor & outdoor areas. At our IBAP meeting there last month the management were most helpful & all attendees gave the venue good marks.

Last week I attended a birthday party at an obscure bar in Kathu which has a swimming pool & BBQ. Opposite the old go cart track you turn off the main road & head to the new go cart track, then turn left on to a small section of dirt track which then leads on to a new concrete road where the bar can be found about 100m on the left. I am sure this would be a cheaper alternative to the brewery. It is open air but mainly under cover so not really a problem for the fickle summer weather but it would not accommodate large numbers.

The concrete road is interesting as it goes for a fair way before coming to another dirt track but it looks like some excavation going on further up at the side of the mountain.

going from past experience, somebody has to put up their hand and say "I will find three venues and we will vote on them". following that, a selection of, say 3 dates should be given, and majority vote taken (remembering that you will never make everyone happy).

menus, drink inclusions and the rest can then be decided.

its not a HUGE stress, but if nobody takes control of it now, it will never get off the ground.

besides arranging a formal get together, there is always the option of having an informal one.....just post something like "I will be in XYZ bar on XYZ date at whatever time" and see who turns up. i did that a couple of times in Bangkok and got to meet a whole heap of people.

going from past experience, somebody has to put up their hand and say "I will find three venues and we will vote on them". following that, a selection of, say 3 dates should be given, and majority vote taken (remembering that you will never make everyone happy).

menus, drink inclusions and the rest can then be decided.

its not a HUGE stress, but if nobody takes control of it now, it will never get off the ground.

besides arranging a formal get together, there is always the option of having an informal one.....just post something like "I will be in XYZ bar on XYZ date at whatever time" and see who turns up. i did that a couple of times in Bangkok and got to meet a whole heap of people.

O.K., I'm happy to take control of this thing.

Some things I would like to find out:

How many members north of Patong that would attend are there? If we ran a pickup/return bus would that work?

Venues so far put forward:

Rawai Sports Club

Phuket Brewery

Obscure Kathu

Don's

Date I would prefer, third Saturday in August 28th (?..I think?)

So please if you would put in:

1.Yes, I would come to the event and I have this many coming along too (family)

2.I live in this part of Phuket(except Livinginkata you can skip that one unless you've moved)

3.I prefer this venue

4.This date works for me and suggest alternate dates (3 total) if not.

I will tally all a week from today and post what we've put together, and if it all goes to sh*t we'll do the informal version as suggested by Donna. Which might be o.k. too, I'm never opposed to a good beach party.

(Also put forward were the Irish bar in Jungceylon and Faulty Towers.)

Answers to Qs:

1. Yes, plus one

2. Patong

3. Faulty Towers, Patong (but anywhere else okay, except not interested in attending a sports club for the event)

4. Any date okay

1. I would attend, not sure about GF & kids.

2. Chalong

3. Any of the locations mentioned except Patong. Obscure Kathu, Sports club & Don's would be more suited to a BBQ, less formal & more cost effective.

4. Most Saturdays are OK with me considering my non existant social life & if Friday the 2nd Friday of the month is out as I attend the IBAP meeting.

Please include me as a maybe.

I'm near the airport and will wait to see what the majority prefer, Not sure I'd want to do another trip to the far southern reaches - unless of course there was suitable hotel (With or without hot and cold running women )and I'm afraid I wouldn't entertain a trip over Patong Hill on a wet saturday night.

Whilst the facilities were great at last years "do" at Friendship Beach the intermingling was conspicuous by it's absence.

As said earlier, it must be acceptable to the majority.

Perhaps George will set up a live link for those unable to attend. Or should that be a Virtual Feed ?

:)

1.Me + wife (+kids if at the sports complex)

2.I live Koh Kaew (opp Boat Lagoon)

3.I prefer this venue: Any with a slight preference towards the Obscure Kathu Bar (I think it's called the bottle bar)

4.Any date (2nd Fri is out because of IBAP)

1. me plus kid (if kid friendly location)

2. Rawai

3. all mentioned venues acceptable, like the sound of Sports Club though

4. Any date as far as I can tell at the moment.

1. Myself and Madam.

2. Chalong.

3. Any place.

4. Any time.

Sorry, withdrawn. Am not a completely new member, but in truth wouldn't be comfortable if some members thought I was there for free food and drink. However, hope whatever and wherever it is, is an enjoyable evening.

I don't understand why you're pulling out, pag. I would assume most attend to meet the people behind the avs - the free refreshments are a bonus, but I doubt anyone would object to paying their way.

Edited by Ping

Sorry, withdrawn. Am not a completely new member, but in truth wouldn't be comfortable if some members thought I was there for free food and drink. However, hope whatever and wherever it is, is an enjoyable evening.

I find it hard to believe that some negative posters comments could have such an effect on folks.

I look at it like they are just showing their bad side and need to grow up a bit.

Why is it internet forums seem to bring out the worst in some people?

I think perhaps it's because they are incognito and a TV party/get together would make them known.

Hence, they don't come and try to badmouth those who do.

I find it hard to believe that some negative posters comments could have such an effect on folks.

I look at it like they are just showing their bad side and need to grow up a bit.

Why is it internet forums seem to bring out the worst in some people?

I think perhaps it's because they are incognito and a TV party/get together would make them known.

Hence, they don't come and try to badmouth those who do.

I am not afraid to be out,

would prefer something mid island but hey whatever even I can get to rawai if I must.

myself, partner and dog if allowed.

easy about date and time but an early start better for those with rug rats.

I am not afraid to be out,

would prefer something mid island but hey whatever even I can get to rawai if I must.

myself, partner and dog if allowed.

easy about date and time but an early start better for those with rug rats.

Dogs allowed is a good idea, thanks!

Gerd

1. Myself and Madam.

2. Chalong.

3. Any place.

4. Any time.

Sorry pagallim, but you are in and I hope you would join us.

O.K. everybody here is the update (as in Monty Python "the show so far....").

15 members have responded 1 I am going to leave out of the tally as he needs after September 4 and I think we'll probably do this in August, 1 is a maybe but I'm going to count him in as I hope (LeungKen) you will come.

Total head count on the party is 28 with a +/- 4 as I am not sure if kids means two or four. Three would like to bring their animal friends along.

1 for Patong

4 for Sportsclub (including myself that's a 5)

5 Open on location or having entered multiple locations

1 for the Bottle Bar (obscure Kathu)

Everybody seems pretty open about the date, Fiddlehead has a problem with Saturdays as he has gigs typically on Saturday night. Fiddlehead, can you play the party if we put some coin together for you or are you already booked every Saturday?

Some things I need everyone to think about and give me their opinions:

I would like the event to be family friendly, I like seeing kids run about, it makes me happy. But that eliminates bar/restaurant venues like The Phuket Brewery, I believe the kids would not be happy (but you can correct me if you feel that is not accurate).

Dogs-don't get me wrong, I love animals but would rather the party not turn into a dog show and with little kids running about, I worry. I've seen the friendliest of dogs on the beach for whatever reason get nasty with little kids. But you guys decide, this really takes us down to just the Sports Club, location-wise.

Everybody seems open on the date except Foxnsquirrels who won't be around until after September 4.

Ping, can I ask why so against the Sports Club? He's got a shaded bar area. Is it a personal matter with the owner? Also, we have a 400thb hotel right nearby for anyone needing accommodations.

May I propose: Saturday August 22, 3:00pm until they kick us out, Rawai Sports Club

For any objections, please submit what you would prefer, and I'll do another tally next Saturday.

Cheers everybody and I look forward to meeting y'all. HB

I'm not all that fussed, HB, just not in particular favour of it. It's way down south again. I also thought that the other venue of the brewery got quite a few mentions (which I would prefer to the sports club). I don't envisage the annual BBQ as a family event, but that's not to say it shouldn't be (but then, why exclude dogs?). As is usual with these events, you won't be able to make everyone happy, but my reading of the thread is that it's down to two real options - either the brewery or the sports club. Why not give a final vote option for either of those two venues. If people have no preference of one over the other, they need not vote at all. (Is there suitable accom near the brewery for those who require it?)