How Is The Asian Ministerial Meeting Will Effect Tourist In Phuket?

v3rtigo

Hi, i'm coming to phuket on the 22nd of july, but I heard that there will be Asian ministerial meeting during that time

How it will effect me as tourist and others as well?

Is it strongly recommended to avoid phuket during the meeting or I just can ignore it?

Can't really see this have any impact on tourist activities. Expect there will be a big police & military presence & checkpoints. On the up side it will likely be a very safe time to visit Phuket.

I agree with Livinginkata, low impact, I think more is being made of this than is necessary.

As I see it, they are putting in security rules in case they need to react. The obvious nonreaction in Pattaya was part of the problem there and they don't want to see that happen again. I think if the red shirts come to make trouble, they'll be locked up in a hurry, that's what clarifying these rules to everyone really is. "Hey, we're warning you".

Can't really see this have any impact on tourist activities. Expect there will be a big police & military presence & checkpoints. On the up side it will likely be a very safe time to visit Phuket.

should be almost no impact to tourists unless you have booked in Laguna area, there maybe be a few road blocks when the vip's are getting moved around.

lets just hope there will be no red yellow demo's which would be a problem but as Phuket seems to be anti Taksin I doubt that will happen.

I'm back in on the 21st myself - I wouldn't be suprised if there are extra delays at immigration/passport control and people actually working on the customs exits and going through the motion of checking baggage. I'd hate to be winging in on the opening day of the conference, with all the airport officials making a special effort to be super officious on the first day...

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Security Act will have little impact on Phuket: Governor

phuket-Phuket-Governor-Wichai-Phraisa-ngop-File-photo-1-PlmQXQG.jpgPhuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: Invocation of the controversial Internal Security Act during the 42nd Asean Foreign Ministers’ Meetings to be held in Phuket in July will have little impact on local residents or tourists, the Phuket governor has announced.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop said special security measures put in place under the act will be limited to Thalang district.

The event is to be held at the Laguna Phuket resort complex in Cherng Talay.

“I am confident the Internal Security Act will not affect the everyday lives of tourists and local residents because the act is being invoked over a specific, predetermined time period. Also, the officers assigned will not be lining the roads, dressed in uniforms or carrying weapons,” he said.

The measures are only intended to give security officials the flexibility they need to ensure that the meetings go off without a hitch, Governor Wichai said.

Governor Wichai also urged the people of Phuket to act as good hosts during the summit, as the eyes of the rest of Thailand and the world will be on the island during the meetings, which include Post Ministerial Conferences (PMC) and the 16th Asean Regional Forum between July 17-23.

Delegates from 10 Asean nations and 17 other countries are expected to take part. spacer.gif– Nation Channel

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-02

Thursday, July 2, 2009

phuket-Phuket-Governor-Wichai-Phraisa-ngop-File-photo-1-PlmQXQG.jpgPhuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: Invocation of the controversial Internal Security Act during the 42nd Asean Foreign Ministers’ Meetings to be held in Phuket in July will have little impact on local residents or tourists, the Phuket governor has announced....

Dear Bangkok people who pick the governors for Phuket.

Can we please have someone who actually looks like he's going to do something useful for Phuket, rather than the old blokes who are obviously filling in their last few years before retirement?

Yours sincerely,

Someone who wants Phuket to get itself sorted.

I predict that with, when any VIP is in town, there will be unusual traffic patterns, congestions and long delays at lights and intersections when VIP's are being moved place to place.

Maybe - but as all the meetings are held in the North the center and the South should be OK.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

PHUKET CITY: Invocation of the controversial Internal Security Act during the 42nd Asean Foreign Ministers' Meetings to be held in Phuket in July will have little impact on local residents or tourists, the Phuket governor has announced....

Dear Bangkok people who pick the governors for Phuket.

Can we please have someone who actually looks like he's going to do something useful for Phuket, rather than the old blokes who are obviously filling in their last few years before retirement?

Yours sincerely,

Someone who wants Phuket to get itself sorted.

The previous one who only lasted a few months seemed to be a pro active type but I assume he was moved because he was appointed by the Somchai government. Most governors when they come here make all the right noises & then go on to achieve absolutely nothing. I really don't know their exact powers other than ceremonial & reporting back to central government. I am sure he has no power or say over security issues.

It seems like economics has prevailed over security at Tesco & Big C with no officers present at the entries, not that they were much use anyway but just having a presence helps. Sooner or later there will be an incident after which the gate will be locked but the horse long gone.