5k/month Furnished Apartments

A few months back i almost signed a year contract for a furnished 3-bedroom apartment in Sukhumvit road, 90k bath per month. I thought that was the normal price for any 2 or 3-bedroom furnished apartment in the heart of sukhumvit.

Now i see comparable apartments listed on 9apartments.com for 20k per month! They are not in the heart of sukhumvit but always minutes walk from a BTS or MRT station.

Does the location justify a price difference of 450%?

I've also seen some furnished BKK apartments listed on www.9apartments.com starting at 2k/month.

I was wondering how some people can live on a 10k/month budget in Bangkok, now i know.

But... what's the catch? Does the electricity cost 100 baht per unit or something?

A few months back i almost signed a year contract for a furnished 3-bedroom apartment in Sukhumvit road, 90k bath per month. I thought that was the normal price for any 2 or 3-bedroom furnished apartment in the heart of sukhumvit.

Now i see comparable apartments listed on 9apartments.com for 20k per month! They are not in the heart of sukhumvit but always minutes walk from a BTS or MRT station.

I've also seen some furnished BKK apartments listed on www.9apartments.com starting at 2k/month.

I was wondering how some people can live on a 10k/month budget in Bangkok, now i know.

But... what's the catch? Does the electricity cost 100 baht per unit or something?

My experience there is no real mesure in the rent-a-condo or -house. Take what you get and certain from a FARANG more. This is free market without any moral. It happen to me in Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. FARANG pay mostly the double. After Chiang Mai I was more clever, I let find my Thai partner my house and sign contract but if was question put deposit I agree only if contact was changed under same conditions. I explain the owner .... usual a foreigner care better a rental object then a Thai. He understod and is happy today; me too in same street with same houses I pay 50% of what some neighbours !!! Between Thai have also dreamers: They mean they can ask any amount to satisfy his bank but with side effect such objects stay many month empty until a "greenhorn" come and rent until he have friends around and know the real price !!! Such market behavior I saw special in Thailand (I travel over 30 countries). Hope it help you seeking any rental object.

If location does not justify the price difference, you will see a ghost town within a year or too. You cannot fool all the people all the time.

You can rent a room for under Bt1k/mth near the heart of town - try the Klongtoey slum if location is your only consideration.

Edited by trogers

correct, not about location of course but also standard.

i have a condo for rent for 10k/month, 2 bdrm and 1 bath at phattanakarn road just nearby jusco and access to rama9, motorway, seacon, petchburi rd, phattanakarn karaoke :)... not so bad location and cheap, for some people who work around that area and it can be a perfect place to live.

correct, not about location of course but also standard.

i have a condo for rent for 10k/month, 2 bdrm and 1 bath at phattanakarn road just nearby jusco and access to rama9, motorway, seacon, petchburi rd, phattanakarn karaoke :) ... not so bad location and cheap, for some people who work around that area and it can be a perfect place to live.

Your unit is in Floraville?

My gf pays 3k a month to live in a room by Pra Khanong market.. No aircon or hot water, bu the water is usually warm anyway. Her income is low, so unless she uses a lot, she doesn't pay for electricity.

Saw some furnished rooms nearby for 5 and 8k which had hot water/air as well as a bed/fridge and wifi for a small charge. Basic but liveable.

There are quite a few classes of accommodation in Bangkok. As mentioned, the cheapest are room rentals in slums. Next will be 'flat' as called by the locals, like Flat Dindaeng. Then there are rental apartments, both with or without air-con and furniture. Rental apartments are popular among students and the working class. Those near to universities will be primarily occupied by students, while some are mainly by girls in the night trade. The latter can be rather lively between 1-4am.

Foreigners willing to stay in such accommodation must also learn to accept the social class and behaviour of these neighbours. Crime rate can be high. Drug abuse, gambling, drunkeness and fights, and in a few cases, rapes, killings and suicides.

I know from first hand experience as I have stayed in a rental apartment for 2 years (1984-86), and paid Bt1,800/mth. No air-con and unfurnished.

Edited by trogers

Trogers, how long have you been living in BKK?

Klongtoey is a pretty large area. When i did a search on sukhumvit on 9apartments.com it showed some apartments in sukhumvit soi 4 - klongtoey. I wouldn't call sukhumvit soi 4 a slum?

Here are some apartments/rooms i found, are any of them in "bad" neighbourhoods? (click on the links)

Aiya residence

Standard room 8000thb monthly

Close to BTS

M house apartment

Studio 5000thb monthly

suite 10.200 thb monthly

Close to MRT

Sasin residence

Studio 5000thb monthly

deluxe 6000thb monthly

Close to MRT

Oriental suite

Studio 10000thb 3 months

Close to BTS

KV mansion

single room 10000thb monthly

close to BTS

Cordia

standard room 10000thb monthly

close to BTS

Silom

Edited by new2bangkok

Trogers, how long have you been living in BKK?

Klongtoey is a pretty large area. When i did a search on sukhumvit on 9apartments.com it showed some apartments in sukhumvit soi 4 - klongtoey. I wouldn't call sukhumvit soi 4 a slum?

Klongteoy slum is near to the port, after Rama 4 road and the expressway.

Sukhumvit used to have a slum between Soi 24 and 26 near to Rama 4 road, but was cleared in the mid 80s.

My first day arriving to Bangkok for work was 7th Nov 1983, the period Bangkok was flooded extensively for months. Wireless road/Pleonchit to Hilton hotel was under a foot of water. Cars could not travel further than Soi ThongLor and people had to switch to boats to get home.

Apartments in soi 3 and 4 cater mainly to foreigners. But do check out their standard of fire alarm and fire escape. Some may actually be converted shophouses.

Sukhumvit used to have a slum between Soi 24 and 26 near to Rama 4 road, but was cleared in the mid 80s.

My first day arriving to Bangkok for work was 7th Nov 1983, the period Bangkok was flooded extensively for months. Wireless road/Pleonchit to Hilton hotel was under a foot of water. Cars could not travel further than Soi ThongLor and people had to switch to boats to get home.

Apartments in soi 3 and 4 cater mainly to foreigners. But do check out their standard of fire alarm and fire escape. Some may actually be converted shophouses.

I see, but why does that website refer sukhumvit soi 4 as klongtoey?

You are living in Bangkok longer than i exist so i guess you know quite a bit about the different areas.

Do you know any well furnished apartments under 10k/month?

Or in which areas do you recommend me to take a look? Pref. close to BTS or MRT.

I want to compare the 70k to 100k offers i received before with the lower budget apartments. I think i'm really being overcharged by most of them.

KV mansion

close to BTS

I had a look at that place. Quite nice. Near On Nut bts and Tesco Lotus. I wouldn't call it a slum at all, but there are some low income places around there.

They have their own web page. If you can handle being in a real Thai area with little western oriented nightlife etc, it would be a good place.

You are living in Bangkok longer than i exist so i guess you know quite a bit about the different areas.

Do you know any well furnished apartments under 10k/month?

Or in which areas do you recommend me to take a look? Pref. close to BTS or MRT.

I want to compare the 70k to 100k offers i received before with the lower budget apartments. I think i'm really being overcharged by most of them.

Soi 4 is in Klongtoey. But it's not near the slum.

My place: 1 bedroom,(bed,wardrobe,computer table),air con,rented tv and fridge,wireless internet,80 channel tv package,with power and water all works out between 5000-5500 per month..

drawback: 40 minute bus ride from mo chit

KV mansion

close to BTS

I had a look at that place. Quite nice. Near On Nut bts and Tesco Lotus. I wouldn't call it a slum at all, but there are some low income places around there.

They have their own web page. If you can handle being in a real Thai area with little western oriented nightlife etc, it would be a good place.

I found a lot of these places nosiy with folk wandering in at 3 am frequent changes of residents, plenty of door bangking etc etc They look nice but...........

Sukhumvit Soi 2 to 48 are in the Klongteoy district. Some part (odd number sois) are in the Wattana district. Sukhumvit is just the name of the main road, not the district.

There is a difference between condos and apartments. Condos are usually owned by individuals, while the whole apartment building has a single owner. Condos are usually rented out long term - min. 6 months, while apartment units may be let out on a monthly basis. Thus, neighbour class will be different.

New condos (less than 5 years old) will charge higher rents than older projects, due to their higher purchase prices. Also, finishing and equipment are more up to date. Units charging 70-100k (for 2 bedrooms) would probably be in Soi Ruamrudee and Soi 24.

Older condo units, built in the 90s, are charging at 40-50% of those prices. Building and facilities will be older.

If you like condos with greens and swimming pools on ground level there is Waterford Park Rama 4, 600m from Prakhanong BTS. This was built in 1995 and 14 years old. 72m2 2bedrm/1bathrm is renting out at 18-20k. My 2bedrm unit has already been rented out since last Oct. But just saw a flyer that another unit is available.

Edited by trogers

Sukhumvit Soi 2 to 48 are in the Klongteoy district. Some part (odd number sois) are in the Wattana district. Sukhumvit is just the name of the main road, not the district.

There is a difference between condos and apartments. Condos are usually owned by individuals, while the whole apartment building has a single owner. Condos are usually rented out long term - min. 6 months, while apartment units may be let out on a monthly basis. Thus, neighbour class will be different.

Your giving the impression that " apartments " are somehow of a lower standard than condominiums

and your statement " Thus, neighbour class will be different " implies that it's downmarket somewhat.

But this is not the case. Take Orchid Tower in Sukhumvit Soi 8 as one example.

The entire building is owned by an Indian family (as are many of the apartment buildings

in that area ) but it's a decent building with roof top swimming pool and there are many occupants

in there on a long-term basis.

Your giving the impression that " apartments " are somehow of a lower standard than condominiums

and your statement " Thus, neighbour class will be different " implies that it's downmarket somewhat.

But this is not the case. Take Orchid Tower in Sukhumvit Soi 8 as one example.

The entire building is owned by an Indian family (as are many of the apartment buildings

in that area ) but it's a decent building with roof top swimming pool and there are many occupants

in there on a long-term basis.

The class of occupants in a rental apartment will depend on the policy of the building owner. But apartments seeking only long-term tenants are in the minority.

• 2 weeks later...

The GF and I were out browsing yesterday, and popped by KV Mansion on Suk Soi 81 for a look. Soi 81 is pretty much directly across (other side of the street) from the Tesco-Lotus store/On Nut BTS at On Nut...and the apartment building is about a 5 minute walk up that soi, which is pretty busy with traffic and typically lacking any kind of sidewalks.

The building looked newer and very nice, as was the double room we toured. However, none of their units have any kind of cooking facilities or kitchens/sinks (other than those in the bathrooms), so they were a non-starter for us. But otherwise, the rooms were nice and modern, the complex seemed well maintained. A couple of downers... no pool or jacuzzi, and a large serviced apartment project is just getting under construction next-door, meaning there's likely to be a lot of construction noise on one side of the complex probably for the coming year or so.

Their rates on offer were 8-10,000 for single rooms (30 sq. mt., the lower rate for low floors, the higher rate for 5th and 6th floors). Their double rooms (60 sq. mt.) on the 7th and 8th floors were offered at 16,000 and 17,000 baht. Rates include air con units and basic furnishings. Extra fee rentals for TVs, refrigerators and wifi or cabled Internet. Electric at 9 baht per unit, and water at 18 baht per unit of use.

Rates were based on 6 month leases. Two months deposit plus first month rent requested in advance. Small cafe restaurant located onsite as well as car parking. They also have month-to-month all-inclusive rentals for higher rates.

KV mansion

close to BTS

Edited by jfchandler

I never noticed the lack of kitchen facilities and I'm surprised the gf didn't mention it. The rooms all had fridges though.

Further down there are some more new condo buildings, but I never ventured in.

I used to live at Oriental Suite just this year, nice place but rates started at 16000/m for the smallest room on the 1st floor, not 10,000.. i wonder if they drastically reduced prices or i was just being overcharged, or you get a discount if you sign a longerterm contract

This re the KV Mansion... Yes, they did have a refrig in the room we toured. And of course, you could bring an electric hot plate and a microwave oven (the latter, either your own or rent one from them). (The lady rep we spoke with specifically said they frown on people bringing their own gas/propane mini-stoves, for obvious reasons...)

And an enterprising soul could take to washing their dishes in the bathroom sink and/or Thai style, in a plastic tub out on the balcony... But, I'm the old-fashioned type guy who likes a real kitchen... :)

I never noticed the lack of kitchen facilities and I'm surprised the gf didn't mention it. The rooms all had fridges though.

Further down there are some more new condo buildings, but I never ventured in.

Edited by jfchandler