Airport Gets Thailand's Fastest Internet

It might be the majority of us have lived in this great country long enough to have seen or been exposed to so many dishonest procedures that we attempt to cover our a.s in our travels/living whenever possible. Would you cross a one way street without looking both ways, carry a wad of cash in open shirt pocket, give you C Card/bank number to a stranger? You depressed people probably call us pessimists whereas we may call ourselves realists. In final analysis, many of us can truthfully say we have missed the various scams, cons, frauds, etc, that seem to so prevalent throughout society. Now you all have a good day, ya hear...

Here in the Land of Scams, as it's sometimes lovingly dubbed, I would think twice about entering even my Hotmail username and password in a public kiosk.

Why not enter the new millenium and sprinkle WiFi routers throughout the terminal for those with their own computers and/or handheld devices? Save the money on hardware (computer terminals/monitors/keyboards) and maintenance.

Recognizing that not everybody travels with a notebook/pda/blackberry, maybe have just a couple kiosks for those brave folks who are willing to trust internet security.

It is one of the great wonders to me how airports don't do as you say. how hard would it be? I have mine in my house for about 5000 baht and can user it all over.. same in independent cafes...just a simple password in most cases... but it is still in planning stage at the airport.... amazing indeed.

Here in the Land of Scams, as it's sometimes lovingly dubbed, I would think twice about entering even my Hotmail username and password in a public kiosk.

Why not enter the new millenium and sprinkle WiFi routers throughout the terminal for those with their own computers and/or handheld devices? Save the money on hardware (computer terminals/monitors/keyboards) and maintenance.

Recognizing that not everybody travels with a notebook/pda/blackberry, maybe have just a couple kiosks for those brave folks who are willing to trust internet security.

It is one of the great wonders to me how airports don't do as you say. how hard would it be? I have mine in my house for about 5000 baht and can user it all over.. same in independent cafes...just a simple password in most cases... but it is still in planning stage at the airport.... amazing indeed.

I think they don't do it because they don't want people to think that the airport is going to scam their log-ins through Wi-Fi, my bet.

May be they would be a lot happier if they provide paid Wi-Fi like in Melbourne or London.

Airport gets Thailand's fastest internet

CAT Telecom will install 126 high-speed internet kiosks at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a joint venture with airport authorities. The kiosks will feature terminals with a 10 Mbps internet service, free of charge for tourists. The project would help the airport achieve its goal of ranking among the world's top 10 airports by the end of the year, said Sereerat Prasutanont, the President of Airports of Thailand Plc.

The kiosks will be available for both international and domestic travellers. Four terminals have already been installed since last month. Each of the internet kiosks comes with two screens. The upper screen will show news and announcements from CAT and AoT. The lower display will be for users, who will be limited to a 15-minute session before being automatically logged off.

Sereerat said that AoT was also making other improvements at the airport, including the rollout of free WiFi internet throughout, and improving seats in waiting areas.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/teleco...astest-internet

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-10

thaksin could have done it much earlier. but, it's ok. it's never too late. one up for thailand.

Yup another good TIT example. It's never good enough for thailand to be rank below a certain levels. Always want to up there, don't want to be good, but exceptionally great! If thailand's keep to do or fix mentality for other problems they have ......wow it will be amazing. :) sadly, This is Thailand LOL

Edited by majorpacman

I think they don't do it because they don't want people to think that the airport is going to scam their log-ins through Wi-Fi, my bet.

May be they would be a lot happier if they provide paid Wi-Fi like in Melbourne or London.

It would cost precious little to add WiFi.

KLIA and KL_LCC have free WiFi, tis great.

Melbourne is a rip off.

AKL has their own ISP that accesses flight info and related stuff.

In AKL, Samsung have free, 'eat all ya want' kiosks available.

Edited by Zpete

• 1 month later...

Ask and ye shall receive?

From the opening post in another thread in this forum:

"AoT has already provided a free internet service at departure gates through 126 kiosks. By mid-September AoT also plans to have introduced a free WiFi service for passengers who have passed the immigration check areas."

Used free WiFi there more than a year ago. May have been THAI or something to do with the airport. Either way, I was surprised.

I am at the airport right now, and indeed, they have free Internet computers. What they do not have any more is frickin WIFI!!!

:)

The cafes tat do have WiFi taped the power points, so you cannot charge your laptop anymore. Did anyone consider that people want to use their laptop and do some actual WORK while waiting for the plane???