Ride South Coats Of Cambodia

visions

Considering a ride from Rayong Thailand to Trad, cross the border and along the South Coast of Cambodia. Koh Kong - Shanouk Ville - Kampot and back.

Has anyone done this trip?

What are the problems taking a bike thru the border?

Any suggestions advice etc?

I think I remember someone talking about biking into Cambodia on the forum but cant find it?

Did it the first time in 02, been maybe 30 times since, first time was the last time on a road bike,!,

( been on a dirt bike since ) however on the route you are talking you will be ok with a road bike now as all the bridges are open and its tarmac,, the border crossing is easy ( well at koh kong anyway ) bike needs to be in your name for an easy pass,.

Edited by SMEEERE

I will add DONT be inclined to push on on that road ,there is always gravel about and potholes and the equivalant of frost heaves,sideways and getting airborne on a dirt bike if fun, on a road bike its a pants filler :):D !

Did it the first time in 02, been maybe 30 times since, first time was the last time on a road bike,!,

( been on a dirt bike since ) however on the route you are talking you will be ok with a road bike now as all the bridges are open and its tarmac,, the border crossing is easy ( well at koh kong anyway ) bike needs to be in your name for an easy pass,.

Thanks Smeeere, I will be on a road bike but intend a scenery ride not a bike ride so will be taking it very easy, short hops mainly.

I presume need the green book only at the crossing? (Koh Kong) Can get visa on demand at the border? or better to use their "E-Visa" service?

Ive been to Phnom Penh a couple of times and visa at the airport is easy, just pays ur money and go.

Thanks Smeeere, I will be on a road bike but intend a scenery ride not a bike ride so will be taking it very easy, short hops mainly.

I presume need the green book only at the crossing? (Koh Kong) Can get visa on demand at the border? or better to use their "E-Visa" service?

Ive been to Phnom Penh a couple of times and visa at the airport is easy, just pays ur money and go.

green book is all you need take your insurance, they may ask to see it as you re enter thailand. visa there is easy to get and its usually quiet, you will get hounded by the touts, you can use one, but only one, they try to gang up on you, make it clear, and give him 5 dollars max,.act like you know what you are doing, and if the customs guy says about a permit laugh and say ive been many times, no need !.they try and tell you you will need one if leaving the area, its crap, never ever been asked for one ,in fact away from the cities and the borders you just dont see police,good luck

"....needs to be in your name for an easy pass." Does that mean it is possible if the green book is not in my name? Anybody done this?

"....needs to be in your name for an easy pass." Does that mean it is possible if the green book is not in my name? Anybody done this?

Can be done need a permission letter from the owner (and signed ID card good idea) theres a example letter purchasable from GT Rider.

Yep, can be done, you will still need the book ( or a copy of it ) and a letter from the owner giving permission, ive never done it but it is do able, Edited by SMEEERE