4 Cylinder 250cc Bikes In Thailand

Torgo

I'm moving to Thailand in November, which means selling my beloved ZXR250. I've been having a look around the classified ads here, and it seems like most of the bikes available (at least the sub-500cc ones) are either 2cyl 250s or bigger VFR/RVF400s.

Is it reasonably easy to find a similar bike to mine in Thailand? I'm looking for any 4 cylinder small sports bike, so CBR, ZXR, FZR and GSXR 250s are all welcome. Did these ever make it to Thailand? I saw a fair few in Malaysia, I'm just not sure if they ever made it across the border. Failing this, what's the market like for 400cc sports bikes other than the standard VFRs? Ideally I'd go for something a little newer with lower maintenance needs.

I'm moving to Thailand in November, which means selling my beloved ZXR250. I've been having a look around the classified ads here, and it seems like most of the bikes available (at least the sub-500cc ones) are either 2cyl 250s or bigger VFR/RVF400s.

Is it reasonably easy to find a similar bike to mine in Thailand? I'm looking for any 4 cylinder small sports bike, so CBR, ZXR, FZR and GSXR 250s are all welcome. Did these ever make it to Thailand? I saw a fair few in Malaysia, I'm just not sure if they ever made it across the border. Failing this, what's the market like for 400cc sports bikes other than the standard VFRs? Ideally I'd go for something a little newer with lower maintenance needs.

By far the best deal going and fits all the criteria is the Kawasaki Ninja 250R at 149K baht. They are making them in Thailand now and so are much cheaper then in years past.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/A-...n-the-Thai-Road

A lot of people like the CBR 150 as well at 70k baht:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th..._The_City_Racer

Tiger has a few naked sport bikes in the 200 range as well. Boxer 200 and Boxer 250RS, 68k and 72k respectively:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...ai-Mystery-Bike

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...hai_All-Rounder

There are lots of 10-20 year old CBR 400RR's and VFR 400RR's that are going for between 40k and 100k depending on condition, which includes the often dubious condition of the green book. A lot of bikes that previously were mostly "legal" are becoming less and less so as Kawasaki and others are pressuring Thailand to get rid of the grey market bikes if Thailand wants them to move factories here and sell big bikes here. More and more rules are being cooked up and others enforced that weren't previously. According to my fixer, even within the last few months my CBR 400 moved from the catagory of "14k baht will get it registered in your name" to simply "Can not do anymore." This is, of course, in Phuket, the anti-grey market big bike capitol of Thailand. However, Last week I drove all the way to Surithani and was told the same. "Can not" One year ago getting it registered in Chang Mai and Lopburi was appearently not much of a issue. Times are a changing. My recomendation, buy new and not worry about any of it, unless you want to keep the grey bike in the previous owners name and keep driving it. Many people do with no problem. You might be able to pick up something cheap this way. If you do this just keep the book or copy of it with you. Keep tax disk up to date, (which you can still do with bent books) and display it on the bike. It's best to use a Thai company/person that provides this service though. If ever stopped, either play dumb like your a tourist on a rental bike if you are in a tourist area, or if not just say you just bought it and are trying to get it registered correctly. I have never heard of any police officer asking to see reg info like that though, only tax disk that matches the license plate, and of course carry a Thai drivers license, easy to get, and you are golden. Shameless plug: I am selling my CBR 400RR with dodgy book for 50k baht so I can get a new Ninja 650R for 257k baht. http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...00rr-24076.html

post-70760-1249149842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

The 400cc series of road bikes in Thailand come mostly with a bag of worries, something you serious not need in Thailand, especially when you not full understand the language. I had not so long ago a few drinks with a person of the department of road transport, and he told me that in 6 months all illegal vehicles would be of the road. And this was not a loss promise as they had huge sponsors from about everybody in the automotive production sector.

Remarkable is the huge donation from Honda, followed by Yamaha, and Kawasaki. With huge contributions from Mitsubishi and other automotive producers... suggesting that none registered vehicles is not limited to 2-wheels only...

With this in mind you should be extra careful trying to buy a secondhand vehicle in Thailand, because if it was found illegal imported after you bought it legal it will still become a illegal vehicle.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I had not so long ago a few drinks with a person of the department of road transport, and he told me that in 6 months all illegal vehicles would be of the road.

Funny what people will say with a few drinks in them :D

Sure- in 6 months there will be no more illegal vehicles... and no more drugs, and no more southern unrest and no more smoking in bars and no more girls in karaoke joints and no more red shirts or yellow shirts and peace and prosperity will rule the land! :D

Wow- I need another drink! :D

Ha ha ha ha!!! :)