Best Sunday Roast In Bangkok

Geekfreaklover

Thanks Git.. Yes... we did meet at the TV party at the Landmark/Huntsman...

OK.. Gotcha... I figured they might be using that patio area outside the actual Huntsman itself for the buffet, since they'd need that space for food displays, and don't really have enough inside the pub.

And I boo-boo'd in my post above. I got your Landmark club membership discount confused/mixed up with the 10% discount card that BeeKayKay was talking about earlier in this thread...

So yes.... with the Landmark Club card and a 50% discount, that's a good value price for their buffet and drinks. Only downside is, getting that card costs 4,900 baht per year. I do like the food, and the eateries, generally at the Landmark. But with all the dining choices available and to be tried in BKK, I never figured I'd be going back to the various places at the Landmark enough times in one year for it to be worthwhile...

Cheers... JC.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some people here on TV who say a lot of bad things about the food at MMs... such as your "absolutely dreadful"...

I've eaten a lot of "dreadful" food at different places around the world... And a lot of the most dreadful I've eaten was in England... (along with some very good pub food there). But to give that description to MM's here in BKK surely is stretching the truth...

I've eaten many meals at MMs, and never had a bad one... And I have no ax to grind one way or the other on this... If I thought their food was bad, or if I ever had a bad meal there, I'd certainly say so. But in my experience, they do a consistently good job...

Maybe you have some other kind of agenda you're trying to pursue...about them...

What agenda you obviously like cr4p food????? i went there i ordered lasagna it had more salt in then the Pacific it was unedible and would have given me sodium chloride poisoning if i ate it ...... but it was a huge portion that would have been too big for 1 person even if it tasted perfect, the girl i was with ordered Thai food and she couldnt eat it as she said it was terrible again a far too big portion ..... its food for Yanks and <snip> who think if its a huge portion its good, irrespective of the taste.

In England I only go to decent pubs with freshly made food as most in the other type of pub (wetherspoons and similar chains) is microwaved or deep fried processed crap out of the freezer, and people who eat it and go back for more need their taste buds testing .... <snip> .....

Edited by soundman
Removed more profanity and name calling.

Toady.... you're not playing fair....

You quoted my post re food in England, but didn't include the rest of my comment, which was.... "(along with some very good pub food there)"

I don't want to get into an Anglo vs U.S. food pissing match.. :)

You quoted my post re food in England, but didn't include the rest of my comment, which was.... "(along with some very good pub food there)"

I don't want to get into an Anglo vs U.S. food pissing match.. :D

Okay JF, I'll let you off!! :)

It just sometimes get's a little tiring hearing that England has such shit food, when there are so many good places to eat, as you know. :D

San Miguel, your manners and style (now deleted by the MOD) speak for themselves... You obviously have the same taste in food.

I didnt call you a name, i just said it was food that would be found ok by larger people.

My style and manner was response to your insinuating that i wish to ridicule this business for my own personal gain ... though i have seen you accuse others before of having an agenda.

Just to put some things straight about the Sunday roast at the Huntsman.

It IS the best Sunday Roast in BKK at this time, nothing compares, the OP of this thread wanted to know the BEST SUNDAY ROAST IN BKK & NOT the best priced Sunday roast, the Sunday roast runs from 12 - 3pm and includes approx over 25/30 different food choices (obviously all you can eat and can go back as many times as you like)

You get what you pay for, I have eaten in all the mentioned restaurants and nothing comes close to the Huntsman (as a few other people have stated) I would much rather pay an extra 200bt and enjoy the food than pay for a cheapo and not be satisfied, and by the way the last time i went to MM's I had ants crawling all over my plate:-( I would never eat there again, mind you its 200bt cheaper than the Huntsman and you get free ants so maybe i will go back lol

I don't want to get into an Anglo vs U.S. food pissing match.. :D

Sorry, that was me and I thought that you were a Brit. :)

Molly Malones offers the worst pub food ive ever tasted in my life and im from England where most pub food is absolutely dreadful, if Molly's were giving their food away i wouldnt eat it.

Ive had the Lamb at Bullies and it is good, but the veg is limited and the roast potatoes are them deep fried things.

I usually go to the Bulls Head for roasts its not great but it just about passes the test, and is reasonably priced.

I've eaten off their lunch menu (during weekdays) twice & couldn't eat the food, paid and left...

...but, the guiness is good (very good) and the people are nice, so I went back for Sunday lunch; twice. The beef isn't good (but unless you pay good money for beef here you know it'll be average at best), the lamb was very nice indeed, the pork was great, the ham was nice, the vegtables & yorkshire & roast potatoes were great too. I enjoyed the apple pie and custard too. I gave the wine to my mate (who said it was ok and he usually drinks good wines) and I didn't bother with the tea / coffee.

I had several plates worth, over several hours, while watching the sports, chatting and drinking good guiness.

MM is very good value for a very good Sunday lunch (stick with the lamb and pork). I look forward to going there next Sunday.

Som tam anyone :)

If only they did a Sunday Roast flavour Som Tam :D

In my last few weeks in Thailand I will not be eating anymore Thai food. Had enough of it. Good wholesome food from the Uk for me. Sunday lunch every weekend in BKK and I make great stews in the rice makers. . I don't wanna see a grain of rice or smell the oily food again before September 20th

Som tam anyone :)

If only they did a Sunday Roast flavour Som Tam :D

In my last few weeks in Thailand I will not be eating anymore Thai food. Had enough of it. Good wholesome food from the Uk for me. Sunday lunch every weekend in BKK and I make great stews in the rice makers. . I don't wanna see a grain of rice or smell the oily food again before September 20th

I agree with you Sunny. Thai food is distinctly average in my opinion, especially when compared to Indian, Chinese, Japanese, French, Belgium, Italian, etc. Hence why I so look forward to a good British style Sunday lunch...

Edited by jasreeve17

It IS the best Sunday Roast in BKK at this time, nothing compares, the OP of this thread wanted to know the BEST SUNDAY ROAST IN BKK & NOT the best priced Sunday roast, the Sunday roast runs from 12 - 3pm and includes approx over 25/30 different food choices (obviously all you can eat and can go back as many times as you like)

You get what you pay for, I have eaten in all the mentioned restaurants and nothing comes close to the Huntsman (as a few other people have stated) I would much rather pay an extra 200bt and enjoy the food than pay for a cheapo and not be satisfied, and by the way the last time i went to MM's I had ants crawling all over my plate:-( I would never eat there again, mind you its 200bt cheaper than the Huntsman and you get free ants so maybe i will go back lol

300 Baht cheaper, 650 Baht for a sunday lunch is overpriced whatever the quality

300 Baht cheaper, 650 Baht for a sunday lunch is overpriced whatever the quality

U must b jkg...

£11.50 for a full Sunday carvery with all you can eat Grade A food and a spread of about 25 different dishes in a Restaurant owed by a 5 star Hotel......rofl

Things must be tight if we cant even afford to spend £11.50 once a week on a great Sunday lunch, however most will find money for other services :)

Edited by beekaykay

One of the things I like about Molly Malone's in the relative consistency and reliability of their food offerings... I've eaten there many times during several years living in BKK, and I can go there knowing the quality of the food and the service experience usually will be pretty much the same, and good, from time to time. It's not a hit or miss kind of place...good one day...terrible the next.

I understand some people may have different views on food, and like or not like something prepared a particular way. But when other people start talking about "inedible"or "ants", those kinds of tales are totally foreign to all of my experiences with Molly Malone's. Those are so far from my experience, it does make me wonder how, or when, the posters came up with those kinds of experiences.

And contrary to what another poster suggested above, I don't base my judgments here based on quantity...but rather, on quality, price and value. The Sunday roast at MM's is all you can eat, certainly good food, and with all the other things thrown in (wine, desert and coffee/tea) a great value for the 349 baht price.

One of the things I like about Molly Malone's in the relative consistency and reliability of their food offerings... I've eaten there many times during several years living in BKK, and I can go there knowing the quality of the food and the service experience usually will be pretty much the same, and good, from time to time. It's not a hit or miss kind of place...good one day...terrible the next.

I understand some people may have different views on food, and like or not like something prepared a particular way. But when other people start talking about "inedible"or "ants", those kinds of tales are totally foreign to all of my experiences with Molly Malone's. Those are so far from my experience, it does make me wonder how, or when, the posters came up with those kinds of experiences.

And contrary to what another poster suggested above, I don't base my judgments here based on quantity...but rather, on quality, price and value. The Sunday roast at MM's is all you can eat, certainly good food, and with all the other things thrown in (wine, desert and coffee/tea) a great value for the 349 baht price.

I had the burger at MM. Completly average. Not much better than some fast food places but much pricier.

The other great thing about Huntsman is (drum roll) FREE WI-FI! And the manager is so nice he even

found me a seat with a plug for my laptop(with its lousy battery life). Many places don't permit plug ins.

And the connection is great.

Edited by BugJackBaron

most pubs have free wifi running, thats not a big thing nowadays. the Sunday Roast in Molly Malone's in my mind is great value for very good food and service. it runs all afternoon until 7pm so you have no need to rush down there. I have never had a bad one and I eat it 3 times a month at least.

I have never seen nor heard of ants in the pub at all anytime and I am a regular there. I have always had good food and service. each to there own with there favorite places to eat and drink, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same places. I do think it is low to be spreading stories about ants in food just because you have a problem with the owners or the pub in some way.

did you speak to the manager about ants in your food? I wonder!

Bloody 'ell I just trawled through some of those messages. Makes me a bit suspicious if the people knocking Molly Malone's are 1) the same people that knock any successful business 2) Never eaten there before but are just ramping up their 'friends' business or 3) can only afford to eat rice off the side soi food cart and are just jealous of the rest.

The food in Molly's is great. Now come on all you moaning bastards. We've all gone somewhere to have something to eat and not enjoyed it. I've eaten in Molly's many times and had it delivered via Food By Phone. The food's great. Go there on Sunday and try it out for yourself.

Bloody 'ell I just trawled through some of those messages. Makes me a bit suspicious if the people knocking Molly Malone's are 1) the same people that knock any successful business 2) Never eaten there before but are just ramping up their 'friends' business or 3) can only afford to eat rice off the side soi food cart and are just jealous of the rest.

1. Ive knocked here and Soi 8 pub as being terrible after trying them both and have described what was wrong with both dishes, each dish was so bad it would be of great surprise if the rest wasnt of a similar standard. Please try the Lasagna at Molly's then go to Via Vai on Soi 8 order the same dish (same price) and let me know if you can tell the difference. If i went to a place with impeccable food in LOS i'd recommend it as i would like it to stay in business.

2. I dont know anyone in LOS with a business.

3. I dont eat Thai food, but will gladly spend whatever is necessary to enjoy a meal, but you're hardly eating in the upper echelons of Bkk's restaurants at Mollys, so are hardly in a position to knock people who eat what ive been told is often very good street food.

In the last 5-10 yrs many Chefs have bought pubs in England and are selling very good food, its in our interest to get pub food in LOS which is often more expensive then here up to a similar standard!

1. Ive knocked here and Soi 8 pub as being terrible after trying them both and have described what was wrong with both dishes, each dish was so bad it would be of great surprise if the rest wasnt of a similar standard. Please try the Lasagna at Molly's then go to Via Vai on Soi 8 order the same dish (same price) and let me know if you can tell the difference. If i went to a place with impeccable food in LOS i'd recommend it as i would like it to stay in business.

2. I dont know anyone in LOS with a business.

3. I dont eat Thai food, but will gladly spend whatever is necessary to enjoy a meal, but you're hardly eating in the upper echelons of Bkk's restaurants at Mollys, so are hardly in a position to knock people who eat what ive been told is often very good street food.

In the last 5-10 yrs many Chefs have bought pubs in England and are selling very good food, its in our interest to get pub food in LOS which is often more expensive then here up to a similar standard!

Make sure that there is no misunderstanding between a slap up Sunday Dinner at Mrs Miggins's pie shop, a good Sunday lunch at a bar in Bangkok and the Sunday Brunch at the Four Seasons here. All would be great as long as we are all posting about the same thing.

I do have interests in the Bar seen in Bangkok but I have no connection to Mollies or Soi 8

I have never been to Molly's but might try it soon if I get the time.

Soi 8 bar I have been to and I can tell you it has great food for the local price and great location for me as well. There is cheaper there is better but I can not be bothered to travel.

I have had bad western food at the Huntsman and the Western food has gone down in quality at Dubliner in resent months.

Londoner has stayed steady not good and not bad.

I have had Sunday Brunch at the Four Season and it was worth the moeny but super super god like food.

Also tried Sunday Brunch and the Peninsular and that was very good.

Happy eating.

So Barrella, where's your favorite choice to go for Sunday roasts in BKK, and what's the per person price tag for your choice???
The problem is with food is so subjective, what I mean is what I like maybe not be what you like.

Sometimes I like to get one of those really plastic greasy naff roasts that reminds me of a Weatherspoons £3.99 piece of Rubbish back in the UK :) . Sometimes I like something more higher in quality. If I was to say a Sunday Roast that has always covered all my boxes then in Thailand it is the Queen Vic on soi 6 in Pattaya but that is a bit a far away. I think the Sunday Roast at the Black Swan under Asoke BTS station is the one, price ok, nice looking small venue with just enough plastic taste to remind me of home but with enough quality to make it worth the tag. I can not remember the exact price off the top of my head but it was something like 349bt. or 399bt or 299bt. Big plate style meal, all the standards for a good roast, nice gravy to. What I found interesting was my good lady that loves UK style Sunday roasts, every time I have taken her to places in Bangkok for them she always complains about them being not he same as the UK and very greasy. At the Black Swan she said it was still greasy but tasted more like what she had in the UK and she has asked to go back there for a Sunday Meal again. Yes she is Thai.

For this reason I would say to tick all the boxes including if you have a Thai partner thus making sure she eats it and likes it then the Black Swan seems to be it. Of course if you want better quality and bigger portions then there are other places. Word of warning: If you are like me and lie a good Salad, the one at the Black Swan is to be avoided at all costs, the dressing they use is like drowning your letter is a garlic farm that was flooded with a vinegar factory.

I was thinking of trying the Duke of Wellington acorss from Patphong soon. Anyone tried there's?

im from England where most pub food is absolutely dreadful

IMO not any more.

Most pubs in the UK are having to expand their appeal as they struggle to stay alive. The good thing about that for the punter is that a lot of pub food is now excellent.