Dutch Woman "nearly" Dies From Thai Seafood

george

Dutch woman experiences bad reaction to seafood, nearly dies

SATTAHIP: -- A Dutch businesswoman visiting friends for a Valentines party in Sattahip experienced a bad reaction to seafood and needed CPR to recover.

Miss Malai Kae, 45, director of an advertising company in Holland, was rushed to the Navy Hospital emergency room in Sattahip. She was unconscious and pale upon arrival, and the medical team needed to perform CPR for half an hour before she had recovered enough to be transferred to the I.C.U.

Mrs. Sojirat Swaak, 35, owner of the house where the party took place, told attending physicians that Malai and her Dutch boyfriend Bert had entered Thailand on February 13 for a combined Valentines Day celebration and house warming party. Sojirat had that day closed on the purchase of her new house in Pobchok Village. She said that many kinds of Thai food and seafood were provided at the celebration, including shrimp. She also said that Malai had eaten many kinds of food and drank beer, but then complained that she had a stuffy chest.

Sojirat said that Malai disappeared into the house while the others sang songs out front. When her friends noticed that Malai was taking longer than normal, her boyfriend went into the house and found her vomiting and choking. She was pale and had lost her energy, so they rushed her to the hospital.

Sojirat said that she didn’t think it was food poisoning because the other guests had eaten the same food and were not affected.

--Pattaya Mail 2005-03-04

my father is deathly allergic to seafood; when my friends prepared food here in israel and invited him to eat with them and me, we voted NO.... seafood juice appear in a million ingredients of thai food and not just the shell fish themselves , i watched them pound crabs, strain them and then add the juice to the food....are there thai with this allergy or do they die young with out knowing why???

A few years ago I went for a seafood meal with a friend of mine. We ate the meal and really enjoyed it.

After about 20 minutes she said that she felt strange and lumps began to appear on her head. When I say lumps they were swelling to about an inch in diameter. her throat and face began to swell, and she had difficulty breathing.

Luckily we were quite near a hospital. She was immediately given antehystermine injections and some other drugs and the swelling went down as fast as it came up.

This was an allergic reaction to the seafood and the doctors said she had a Giant Urticaria attack, something which she had never had before.

Lucky we were not out in the sticks........

many Thai seafoods are full of toxic chemicals

many shrimp at not allowed in Europe for that very reason

hope hope the Thais figure out chemicals are not the way to go in the future

press on for ORGANICS for our food supply!

extremely unlikely to be the causal agent in this case.

my father  is deathly allergic to seafood; when my friends prepared food here in israel and invited him to eat with them and me, we voted NO.... seafood juice appear in a million ingredients of thai food and not just the shell fish themselves , i watched them pound crabs, strain them and then add the juice to the food....are there thai with this allergy or do they die young with out knowing why???

anaphylactic shock is, thankfully, quite rare, but it does occur in all people.

Ex-wife had it in reaction to her first time having bluefish...but I recognized it for what it was and got her to the hospital pronto... with no untoward problems as a result. Speed is of the essence in these cases...and the delay in seeking treatment is likely why this unfortunate woman had the severe problems she did.

Hopefully, she'll be alright.

• 1 year later...
Huhu, and how many dies by eating crappy US fast food ?

i used to wonder why people here were so focused about ' to do with Thailand ' .

with your post i now understand why ...................

<deleted> has THAT to do with Thailand ??

Huhu, and how many dies by eating crappy US fast food ?

Amateur. Is that the best you can do? Watch the board. There are US bashers here who are light years ahead of you in style, substance and delivery. You can learn from them. Focus more on politics rather than seafood.

Now then...off you go..

Getting back to the subject, and US bashing aside,....-

My wife was recently hospitalised with food poisoning and the doctor told her that a lot of people have had similar problems due to eating shrimps. He said that there is something viral going around the shrimp farms at the moment, and the farmers in their infinite wisdom have responded by chucking even more pesticide; hormones and steroids+gawdknowswhat else into the mix to combat this. Giving shrimp a wide berth at the moment. :o