Tanaboo

efjkt

Has anyone heard of the Tanaboon housng estate? According to the map on their website, it seems to be somewhere not far past the airport. I have only been once to CM and really liked it. I will be back on March 12th and spend a couple of weeks to take a better look.

Are there any other housing estates similar to Tanaboo anyone could recommend to look at and consider for possible permanent residency?

thanks in advance,

eddie

Has anyone heard of the Tanaboon housng estate? According to the map on their website, it seems to be somewhere not far past the airport. I have only been once to CM and really liked it. I will be back on March 12th and spend a couple of weeks to take a better look.

Are there any other housing estates similar to Tanaboo anyone could recommend to look at and consider for possible permanent residency?

thanks in advance,

eddie

Heard of it and drove round inside, along with another bigger one called Wang Ton (or Wong Tan?) complete with an artificial lake and tennis courts etc. Each to their own choice, but I decided that that style of living is definitely not for me - feels too cut off to my way of thinking. A Thai friend told me that they are considered "up-market" by many Thai's - particularly Thai wives who will urge their farang partner to buy and build in one of these places.........

Something I did notice in both places I saw was that the style/size/quality of individual houses varied from the palatial to the modest - actually a plus, in my mid.......... meaning that there could be more of a mix of people.

I spotted a couple of houses that were for rent, so I guess you could try it out for yourself - but I think it would usually be a 1-year minimum let. You'll need to drive round and explore - preferably with someone who knows the area.

Edited by Steve2UK

thanks in advance,

eddie

Heard of it and drove round inside, along with another bigger one called Wang Ton (or Wong Tan?) complete with an artificial lake and tennis courts etc. Each to their own choice, but I decided that that style of living is definitely not for me - feels too cut off to my way of thinking. A Thai friend told me that they are considered "up-market" by many Thai's - particularly Thai wives who will urge their farang partner to buy and build in one of these places.........

Something I did notice in both places I saw was that the style/size/quality of individual houses varied from the palatial to the modest - actually a plus, in my mid.......... meaning that there could be more of a mix of people.

I spotted a couple of houses that were for rent, so I guess you could try it out for yourself - but I think it would usually be a 1-year minimum let. You'll need to drive round and explore - preferably with someone who knows the area.

I think most Westerners unused to this style of living and building will initially be put off by the idea, but as you spend more time here you just might grow to see the benefits. It all depends on what type of life you are looking to lead here. Participating in the collective life of a village is not for everyone, especially not if you have been raised an individualist with a strong sense of privacy.

I went and had a look around there about 18 months ago. I thought that the properties were okay, and the personnel in the office there were great. There were 2 things that did put me off though.

The first was the amount of dogs, every house seemed to have 2 as a minimum and the least thing would start them off barking.

The second thing was that it is on the flight path into CM airport, so there is quite a bit of noise generated by the air traffic. This may change if a new airport is built, then again a new airport may not be built.

Look at Home in Park, that too is in Hang dong but on the other side to Tanaboon, no air traffic noise and houses appear to have a good build quality.

thanks in advance,

eddie

Tanaboon is OK -- on a scale of 1-10 it gets a 3 (IMHO) -- no clubhouse, the security is a joke ( as in locking the front door but leaving all the big & wide large windows OPEN!) -- looks like a graveyard but the houses look tolerably good to die in. If you want to live however, it is not the place. Yes, the people are very nice and there are quite a few dogs. The dogs are not as nice as the people.

Baan Wangtan is better and gets a 5. Outstanding pool and clubhouse -- good restaurant, lots of shady trees and an ideal place for outdoor excercise. Big disadvantage initially is that its easy to get lost.

Baan Wangtan beats ALL the other mubaans on the Hang Dong road -- forget about Home n Park on Canal Road -- overpriced and artificial.

All have the airport noise however -- BIG negative.

Better choices (even upto a solid 8 or 9) outside the city -- upto 20K outside. And NO airport noise -- and NATURE at relatively close to it's finest!

:o

Bit of Info... :D

Tanaboon is situated in Chiang Mai, which is a peaceful town and full of impressive tourist and history places. Besides that, there is convenient transportation without a traffic problem as in Bangkok. We think it’s a good place for people who looking for the simple life. Our Tanaboon village is located a bit out of town but it’s just six kilometers far from Chiang Mai International Airport or approximately 10 minutes driving on high way road to the city. From Tanaboon you can see the green mountain view on the North side. That can make you feel, like you live among fresh air and attractive nature. :o

http://www.chiangmainews.com/tanaboon/index.htm

thanks in advance,

eddie

I think most Westerners unused to this style of living and building will initially be put off by the idea, but as you spend more time here you just might grow to see the benefits. It all depends on what type of life you are looking to lead here. Participating in the collective life of a village is not for everyone, especially not if you have been raised an individualist with a strong sense of privacy.

Can't disagree with any of that - and I may yet prove myself wrong about what I'm currently imagining will work for me. From what I saw of both Tanaboon and Wangtan, they also have houses which are 100% Thai occupied. To me that's a plus - in the same way that living in a purely farang gated compound just feels like it has to be a minus. I emphasise - that's how it is for me and others will like other things.

For a major step like moving to a new country and choice of city and choice of location in that city, I'd recommend anyone to give it plenty of time for "field research". That's just what I'm doing in CM now - taking 6 weeks for it (OK, I'm enjoying myself as well - so it's no way all work). Even then, when I make the permanent move here later this year, I still expect to continue looking around after lining up my start-up home for the first year.

thanks in advance,

eddie

Perhaps I should add that Tanaboon is a terrific choice for a short stay of let's say 2 weeks when you first arrive in CM -- with it as a base you can then do your intensive search for a long-term stay.

There were many "for rent" signs on the little sois in Tanaboon -- and if this avenue interests you, I would recommend a straight 50% discounted price if you deal with a farang, hehehehe. The prices there are ARTIFICIAL as each new farang newcomer is quickly bedazzled into the general "thunk" of Tanaboon-ness! :o

If you go thru' the office (on the premises) -- NEGOTIATE hard -- you may not get the 50%, but use it as a guideline avenue.

Goodluck! :D

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately, I will have to postpone my trip for a couple of months. I currently live and work in Jakarta, so it's only a short trip. Vacation time permitting, I will spend the next couple or three years feeling the grounds for where I want to settle down in the long run. Have only been to Chiang Mai once before and liked it a lot.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply.

eddie

thanks in advance,

eddie

I live in Tanaboon. Some posters clearly haven't even been there. The first thing that anyone needs to know is "what is your budget?". For 10 million baht, there are a lot of places nicer than Tanaboon. And yes, it is on the CNX flight path. The community is about 60-70% Thai, but includes americans, English, Swedes, XCanadians, Belgians, Dutch, Scots, Singaporeans, etc., and perhaps a half dozen thai/farang couples. It's rather small compared to most moobaans, maybe 70 homes. It has a great sense of community, construction standards are very high, and they will build you whatever you want (i.e., there are a couple swimming pools and I don't think any two homes are identical, unlike most moobaans). Give me a email @ [email protected] if you wish anything further. R. Walker