Switch From Honda Cbr150 To Tiger Boxer Rs250

gmac

I have been riding CBR150's for the last 7-8 years (currently on my 3rd) and fancy something different next time I change. I drive mainly in town but live 4-5 kms outside on fairly good roads and wonder what the major differences are.

Has anyone made the change already and if so, how does the Tiger compare for fuel consumption, general in-town performance etc. Also what about for shopping, I drape 4 bags off the mirrors of the CBR when I go to Lotus but note that on the Tiger they are mounted on the handlebars which could be a problem for handling. Could go for a box on the back but I don't think it would hold as much.

Sorry to ask such naff questions and I'm sure I'll be hit with 'buy a scooter' for shopping, but I prefer the stability and solidity of the 'tanked' bikes and would a appreciate any helpful comments.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've ridden both (actually own the CBR) and I found that the mods that mbox and kano85 were a bit much for in town usage. They changed their sprockets (no 6th gear) for better highway cruising and it was a bit of a bear to get off from a start. You could do it, but I didn't like the way I had to ride the clutch.

Obviously fuel consumption isn't nearly as good as the little CBR; but you're talking about just a few baht difference per week. Where it does shine is taking E20 (I believe it can take at least up to that) gasahol...that'll probably save the same amount of money that you lose to the CBR's superior range so in the end you'll break even.

The Tiger is MUCH more upright, not really to my liking, but offers excellent visiblity and I assume a welcome departure from the pressure put on wrists and backs of an older rider. It's nearly as narrow as the CBR, but not as good, IMHO, at threading traffic. Seems to be a lot of resistance to direction change which is excellent for highway stability and poor for suicidal in town manuevers. The windscreen is a bonus if you end up behind a lorry; I've come back many times with the CBR and the wife starts clucking about 'dam mak-mak'!

mbox has a box on the back; seems to like it enough. I'm sure that Tiger will accomdate you with whatever size/design you want.

I've ridden both (actually own the CBR) and I found that the mods that mbox and kano85 were a bit much for in town usage. They changed their sprockets (no 6th gear) for better highway cruising and it was a bit of a bear to get off from a start. You could do it, but I didn't like the way I had to ride the clutch.

Obviously fuel consumption isn't nearly as good as the little CBR; but you're talking about just a few baht difference per week. Where it does shine is taking E20 (I believe it can take at least up to that) gasahol...that'll probably save the same amount of money that you lose to the CBR's superior range so in the end you'll break even.

The Tiger is MUCH more upright, not really to my liking, but offers excellent visiblity and I assume a welcome departure from the pressure put on wrists and backs of an older rider. It's nearly as narrow as the CBR, but not as good, IMHO, at threading traffic. Seems to be a lot of resistance to direction change which is excellent for highway stability and poor for suicidal in town manuevers. The windscreen is a bonus if you end up behind a lorry; I've come back many times with the CBR and the wife starts clucking about 'dam mak-mak'!

mbox has a box on the back; seems to like it enough. I'm sure that Tiger will accomdate you with whatever size/design you want.

Hi gmac,

I have also ridden a cbr and own a Boxer...this the same boxer dave.boo rode. It is true the sprocket have been changed for having lesser strain to engine on highway cruise...but in fact the problem on driving off (when dave tested it) was the clutches adjustment so it is not the norm of having this issue. The Fuel consumption is most likely higher than cbr and the boxer runs great on E20 gasohol. The seating position is more upright on the Boxer and this was the reason why i actually went for it. I have a top box on the back and am shortly getting a tankbag for my boxer too. Downtown slalom in traffic with the Boxer is excellent , so i think dave and me differ on this section . I did put a wider handlebar on it as it feels more comfortable over a medium distance rides. This is ,however, to the disadvantage for the downtown slaloms. I'd suggest you test drive a Boxer and see for yourself...in the end what matters is not how dave or me feel over the Boxer's performance/handling but it is you. When i drove a cbr just recently it felt like sitting on a lot smaller bike as i just got off the Boxer. As for reliability, service( a big plus there) & value for money i can only recommend the Tiger Boxer 250 rs.

mbox

Hi gmac,

I have also ridden a cbr and own a Boxer...this the same boxer dave.boo rode. It is true the sprocket have been changed for having lesser strain to engine on highway cruise...but in fact the problem on driving off (when dave tested it) was the clutches adjustment so it is not the norm of having this issue. The Fuel consumption is most likely higher than cbr and the boxer runs great on E20 gasohol. The seating position is more upright on the Boxer and this was the reason why i actually went for it. I have a top box on the back and am shortly getting a tankbag for my boxer too. Downtown slalom in traffic with the Boxer is excellent , so i think dave and me differ on this section . I did put a wider handlebar on it as it feels more comfortable over a medium distance rides. This is ,however, to the disadvantage for the downtown slaloms. I'd suggest you test drive a Boxer and see for yourself...in the end what matters is not how dave or me feel over the Boxer's performance/handling but it is you. When i drove a cbr just recently it felt like sitting on a lot smaller bike as i just got off the Boxer. As for reliability, service( a big plus there) & value for money i can only recommend the Tiger Boxer 250 rs.

mbox

What does the Tiger 250 cost and where can you go and see on? In Bangkok?

Dan

Thanks for the replies, as mbox has rightly pointed out I will have to drive one myself before making any decision, but your views are appreciated. Maybe it's good in town maybe not, I guess I'll have to check for myself but from what I've read from those of you who are driving Boxers it seems a very nice and reliable bike. Using E20 would be a big plus if only I could find the stuff without driving 30kms outside Pattaya to get it! Anyone know where I can find some, preferably South of town rather than North towards Bangkok.

Hi gmac,

mbox

Dan

Hi dan

the tiger Boxer 250 rs costs 72000 thb , pls. check on the Tiger Boxer thread for all details...there is a showroom in bkk but don't have the address right on hand it is , however, mentioned on the said thread,

mbox

Hi gmac,

mbox

Dan

Hi dan

the tiger Boxer 250 rs costs 72000 thb , pls. check on the Tiger Boxer thread for all details...there is a showroom in bkk but don't have the address right on hand it is , however, mentioned on the said thread,

mbox

ok here the info :

Tiger Contacts

Tiger Bkk Showroom: 1865 Phahon Yothin Rd, Lad Yao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 tel:02-511-2270

Tiger Factory: 500 Moo 8, Buddharaksa Rd., Taibanmai, A.Muang, Samutprakarn 10280 tel:02-388-0868-77

Khun Pariya email address : whoispariya (at) yahoo.co.uk Khun Pariya Mobile: 0892018147

Hope that helps,

mbox

Jeesh, you younger hetero dudes must have limp wrists or bad backs. :) I hit 67 this week and haven't had any problems piloting CBR150's for 65,000 km so far, even with other physical handicaps. The CBR seat height is very low. Tiger Boxer "250" are nonexistent up here from what I've observed.

Jeesh, you younger hetero dudes must have limp wrists or bad backs. :) I hit 67 this week and haven't had any problems piloting CBR150's for 65,000 km so far, even with other physical handicaps. The CBR seat height is very low. Tiger Boxer "250" are nonexistent up here from what I've observed.

Keep it clean Peace....I'm sure it's actually the pressure of leaning on their big hairy stinking beads (apologies to Rush Hour3) that's the real reason they can't ride the CBR for extended periods. Of course I wouldn't point that out due to not wishing to sound crass......

I'm a person who also have the pleasure to ride both the Tiger 250 RS and the Honda CBR-150R. In early comparisons you can find on this forum I compare the performance of the Tiger Boxer 200 R, as a bit higher then the Honda CBR-150R

But basically you cannot compare the two, the Honda CBR-150R is a revving engine, clearly build for sporty performance, the Tiger Boxer 200 R is a low -revving all-round engine which is more powerful at low-revving then the Honda CBR-150R.

With the Tiger Boxer 250 RS, nothing changed to much, the Tiger fine-tuned some problems, they clearly improved road handling, performance did not go up that much, but the overall ride improved much.

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS, is more a tour motorcycle then his 200cc brother, the up-side-down front forks make it a easy bike to cruise alone the seemingly endless Thai roads.

I'm not Charlie or Mbox, and I not tour the country that much at a average of speed around 100km/h. The Tiger is clearly capable of speeds over 130km/h, but then... who needs speed if you trying to relax. Still I did it once, trying to get as fast as possible to Khon Kaen, on my Tiger Boxer 250 RS, and found that riding a motorcycle at lower speeds opened up my eyes for more things around me, which I never noticed before...

Value for money, the Tiger 250 RS, is the cheapest over 200cc displacement motorcycle on the Thai market, and it comes with excellent service. If you find something not comfortable ...and you can find a few more Tiger riders to agree with you (you can find them easy at http://www.boxermc.info) and the Tiger Motorcycle will offer a solution to fix it... up to now all this little discomforts where fixed within a week until 2 weeks.. with the exception of 3 weeks with a extra excuse email...

I have a email address of Honda support, my g/f had a CBR-150R for a long time and we “partly” have a garage which services regularly Honda CBR-150R and other Honda motorcycles. Getting service information from Honda is something I would call... surely more difficult. Contacting Tiger and getting info is easy, they are a really dedicated company.

Never had a problem with my CBR just feeling a little stale after 3 of them over 7-8 years. Would love a Ninja but over my budget, don't like the Phantom style, Yamaha and Suzuki don't seem to be in the market so the Tiger seems my only alternative for a change. Nice to hear good reports on the Tiger even though most of them back it for cruising on the open road. Not really my style so a few more positive comments on using it around town would be great.

Never had a problem with my CBR just feeling a little stale after 3 of them over 7-8 years. Would love a Ninja but over my budget, don't like the Phantom style, Yamaha and Suzuki don't seem to be in the market so the Tiger seems my only alternative for a change. Nice to hear good reports on the Tiger even though most of them back it for cruising on the open road. Not really my style so a few more positive comments on using it around town would be great.

Well, it's really easy ...the Boxer 250 rs is "slim" and you sit "high" the engine is low rev , got very good torque and the Police is riding around in BKK on the smaller brother of it( the 200 cc)...so there is really no need to confirm that the bike does great in town...but it also does great on the open road ...as richard bkk said it is more an allrounder which is probably the better way to express it.

But i do have to correct Richard-Bkk ...i am not driving that much around the country here on the Boxer..i do short / medium rides( once ina while a long one but this is a "special occasion" then)...over long distance i am mostly in the Car ( but it is easily possible to do a longer trip on the Boxer too)

There are certainly locations where the Boxers are not as much present as Peaceblondie stated, but Tiger provides their service really great and put a lot of effort into it too. No matter if you are in BKK , or out in the sticks.

Best is to test it yourself rather than waiting for confirmation over reports from other TV members - if it does good in town or not.

Hope that helps,

mbox

Well, it's really easy ...the Boxer 250 rs is "slim" and you sit "high" the engine is low rev , got very good torque and the Police is riding around in BKK on the smaller brother of it( the 200 cc)...so there is really no need to confirm that the bike does great in town...but it also does great on the open road ...as richard bkk said it is more an allrounder which is probably the better way to express it.

But i do have to correct Richard-Bkk ...i am not driving that much around the country here on the Boxer..i do short / medium rides( once ina while a long one but this is a "special occasion" then)...over long distance i am mostly in the Car ( but it is easily possible to do a longer trip on the Boxer too)

There are certainly locations where the Boxers are not as much present as Peaceblondie stated, but Tiger provides their service really great and put a lot of effort into it too. No matter if you are in BKK , or out in the sticks.

Best is to test it yourself rather than waiting for confirmation over reports from other TV members - if it does good in town or not.

Hope that helps,

mbox

Thanks for that mbox, I know it's down to me to take a test ride, but the testimonials help! Those of you that have them already certainly seem very happy which is a pretty good recommendation in my book. Don't think I've seen anything negative about the RS250 with any early niggles swiftly rectified by Tiger. Only reason I've come on here about it is that I'm still a few months away from changing and I always feel guilty taking test drives when I'm not going to buy straight away.

Hope that helps,

mbox

Thanks for that mbox, I know it's down to me to take a test ride, but the testimonials help! Those of you that have them already certainly seem very happy which is a pretty good recommendation in my book. Don't think I've seen anything negative about the RS250 with any early niggles swiftly rectified by Tiger. Only reason I've come on here about it is that I'm still a few months away from changing and I always feel guilty taking test drives when I'm not going to buy straight away.

Ok don't need to feel guilty if not buying right away.

What i did, i contacted khun pariya by email and agreed to meet him at their showroom and did my Test drive(khun pariy speaks also very well english) . I was happy and had still looks over other bikes too but nothing really comparable so I ordered my Boxer about 2-3 weeks later ...

mbox

Hope that helps,

mbox

Ok don't need to feel guilty if not buying right away.

What i did, i contacted khun pariya by email and agreed to meet him at their showroom and did my Test drive(khun pariy speaks also very well english) . I was happy and had still looks over other bikes too but nothing really comparable so I ordered my Boxer about 2-3 weeks later ...

mbox

Khun Pariya sounds like a good contact and I'd love to deal with him but I hate Bangkok so I'll probably have to make do with the locals in Pattaya, hopefully they will be able to give a similar level of service.

Khun Pariya sounds like a good contact and I'd love to deal with him but I hate Bangkok so I'll probably have to make do with the locals in Pattaya, hopefully they will be able to give a similar level of service.

Khun Pariya is probably the best Person to be in contact with, maybe still email him and ask him whatever you wish to know or have in mind to do - test drive , special requests...just let him know that you in pattaya so he can give you some locations where to test the Boxer .

mbox

Khun Pariya is probably the best Person to be in contact with, maybe still email him and ask him whatever you wish to know or have in mind to do - test drive , special requests...just let him know that you in pattaya so he can give you some locations where to test the Boxer .

mbox

I'll probably do that, just been down Soi NernPlubWaan here in Pattaya where someone in an earlier thread had said there was a Tiger dealer but couldn't find it!

Gmac. organise a test ride from the factory. its Pattaya side of Bangkok. Address is somewhere in the Tiger thread.

I'll certainly do that when I'm ready to buy but for now would just like to have a good close up look at them. Can anyone confirm if there is still a dealer in Pattaya? I've driven all over and seen any number of the usual suspects - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki but can't seem to see anyone with Tigers. If someone knows where one is I'd appreciate some directions.

Edited by gmac

Not sure. some one in the main thread just mentioned buying one in Pattaya. Not sure if that was new or not.

Email Khun Pariya. I got a Tiger for a test ride up to Khoen Kaen and back............ Then they fixed the terrible seat. boy was my arse sore :)

Not sure. some one in the main thread just mentioned buying one in Pattaya. Not sure if that was new or not.

Email Khun Pariya. I got a Tiger for a test ride up to Khoen Kaen and back............ Then they fixed the terrible seat. boy was my arse sore :)

You are right the older seat was something....but i think it was merely hurting the n*ts than the arse. Anyways i got the first Boxer 250rs which got the newer seat and the longest distance i have done in a day was about 600-650 km with no problems.. sure always room to improve something but this ones quite alright now.

I think Khun pariya would also be able to advise who is the dealer in pattaya ...but to be honest the trip to Bangkok is better for the testing and having a talk with Pariya ( who speaks very good english) plus he is the guy to really look after things very well...if you got any issues he is very fast and helpful in rectifying things .

mbox

So, if you want a Tiger Boxer 231.4RS, there's one place and person to contact in the entire country......

Oh Mr Moderator, you are such a wet blanket! It's all part of the fun, as were crushed n*ts apparently :) , though they've sorted it now according to mbox. Anyway, I've just e-mailed Pariya for a local dealer in the hope that maybe he's not the only one!

So, if you want a Tiger Boxer 231.4RS, there's one place and person to contact in the entire country......

Yes, one person who speaks very good english - maybe even more but less english than...and he replies to emails too( usually within 24 hrs) ,even picks up the phone in case of any issues and goes that extra mile to solve problems...guess you won't find any service like this from any other Bike Manufacturer here in thailand . If you order the Bike it comes from BKK anyways so why not contact them directly as you will have also the easier way to communicate and get an update of what "extras" are available ....they also will forward the service/dealer address for the location you are in.

I am confident that they are currently building on a bigger dealer/service network here which surely is better but to be honest i do not feel any shortcomings to my Service and Contact (khun Pariya) having had the unashamed pleasure to deal with honda , kawa & yamaha dealers here...i think they are not even half as good as Tiger & Khun Pariya's Service.

mbox

Oh Mr Moderator, you are such a wet blanket! It's all part of the fun, as were crushed n*ts apparently :) , though they've sorted it now according to mbox. Anyway, I've just e-mailed Pariya for a local dealer in the hope that maybe he's not the only one!

The seat has been sorted 4 month ago....so it is an "old hat" to bring up.

There are others who work at Tiger too...sure you will get the info and service as i just pointed out in the last post.

mbox

I have been buying new Suzukis, Yamahas and Hondas from local, factory-authorized dealerships since 1982;, seven of them in four cities. I never had any need to deal with a national dealer 700 km way. I have had my bike trailered 75 miles back to me (their fault; avoiding a lawsuit). The Tiger Boxer 231.4RS does not exist in 'my Thailand." Happy trails.

I have been buying new Suzukis, Yamahas and Hondas from local, factory-authorized dealerships since 1982;, seven of them in four cities. I never had any need to deal with a national dealer 700 km way. I have had my bike trailered 75 miles back to me (their fault; avoiding a lawsuit). The Tiger Boxer 231.4RS does not exist in 'my Thailand." Happy trails.

If i remember correctly there are 2 Tiger dealers in Chiang Mai.

"Your Thailand" just seems to be quite "narrow" or "small" ...right????

No hard feelings, but if you can't accept someone elses bikes preferences than it is simply best to shut up rather than posting nonsense and crawl back into your cave and remain the rest of your miserable day in there.

If the tiger Boxer 250rs does not exist in your thailand i do strongly suggest that you withdraw your posting from any tiger Bike thread !As moderator you should be doing better than that!

mbox

Hi gmac,

Sry to pop in that late.i have my boxer 250 Rs for 8 months now and i rode 25000 km together without any problem.Only very minor issues tiger cleared it all free of charge.

HI PB if the boxer doesnt exist for you why are they so many treads about it ? If you dont like the boxer stay out of the treads and dont make yourself so ridiculous. many of the members here are laughing with you

What about the boxer is approved to ride on European roads the main dealer is in the Netherlands later more information.

The E-boxer too .TIGER BAD ?????????????????????????????????????

there is a dealer in pattaya Sukumvit soi 53 across from a petrol station (ESSO i think )Yamaha and Tiger dealer

hope that helps

Charlie

I almost always lately have avoided threads that were only about Tiger Boxers. This, however, is about a poster who begins, "...I have been riding CBR150's for the last 7-8 years (currently on my 3rd) and fancy something different next time I change. I drive mainly in town but live 4-5 kms outside on fairly good roads and wonder what the major differences are." Comparison to availability of local service and dealerships is relevant, as are any other comparisons of the two. If there are dealerships selling Boxer 231.4RS in northern Thailand, I've never seen one example. My new bike has racked up 10,000 km since the Boxer "250" was announced.

I almost always lately have avoided threads that were only about Tiger Boxers. This, however, is about a poster who begins, "...I have been riding CBR150's for the last 7-8 years (currently on my 3rd) and fancy something different next time I change. I drive mainly in town but live 4-5 kms outside on fairly good roads and wonder what the major differences are." Comparison to availability of local service and dealerships is relevant, as are any other comparisons of the two. If there are dealerships selling Boxer 231.4RS in northern Thailand, I've never seen one example. My new bike has racked up 10,000 km since the Boxer "250" was announced.

PB

It was in another thread a while ago where the topic of tiger dealership in chiang mai was mentioned...it was also pointed out that there are 2 of them there...but you mantioned that you can't see them( even though someone else ordered the Tiger Boxer through one of this dealers)... and just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist and as for the service i can not imagine any other manufacturer providing better service...

here are the 2 dealer & service center in CM ( i do not live in CM but was able to get this info from another website boxermc.info so i expect it to be accurate info)

1)

Name: Supanit Motor, Chiang Mai

Address: 444/7 Charoen Mueang road, T. Watgate, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Web Site:

Description: Supanit Motor Chiang Mai Tiger Dealer and Service Center. (หจก.สุพนิชมอเตอร์) 444/7 ถ.เจริญเมือง ต.วัดเกต อ.เมือง จ.เชียงใหม่ 50000 Tel. 053-246724

2)

Name: Matrix International Corp.

Address: 58/2 Mueang Samut road, T. Changmoi, A. Muang, Chiang Mai

Web Site:

Description: Matrix International Corp. Tiger Dealer and Service Center (บจก.แมทริกซ์ อินเตอร์เนชั่นแนล คอร์ป) 58/2 ถ.เมืองสมุทร ต.ช้างม่อย อ.เมืองเชียงใหม่ จ.เชียงใหม่ Telephone 053-876-373

I hope this helps you "seeing" PB...

mbox