Yearly Visa Extension

uptheos

This morning at 0805 I arrived at immigration to renew my 1 year visa extension for retirement.

I signed in the book as number 2.

0840 Called to the window, paperwork was OK, sat down again.

0850 Called to window again for two signatures.

0915 Called into the back room - sat down.

0925 Called over to a desk. Didn't get a chance to sit down - handed me my passport and receipt - done.

0930 Handed in my forms for multiple re-entry permit.

0945 Everything completed.

1000 Indoors having a cup of tea.

Nice :)

What is the point of this post? If you have all your documents in order as I have always done. We all have the same experience

From my experience there seem to be a lot of foreigners here that still suffer a lot of real anxiety regarding their annual visa renewal and I'm not sure why? I personally know one guy that almost goes into panic mode for some reason, a week before he's due and I've certainly read many articles on this forum expressing fears about annual visa renewal. I guess I thought by showing from personal experience that (as you say) if you have all your documents in order, the process at immigration it is in fact quite painless and might help alieve some of these fears for someone, that's all.

It's nice that people like yourself then come along to validate my experience with yours and others, which I presume is the point of your post. :)

What is the point of this post? If you have all your documents in order as I have always done. We all have the same experience

what's the point of pointing this out? :)

Yeah, right, this is the second post I've just read from people asking what was the point of posting.

If you find this stuff boring or not to your liking, why not hang elsewhere or just don't bother.

I'm up for renewal next month and hoping it goes as smoothly as it's certainly not a given even if all docs are in order. It could be that CM imm have improved the process for extendees. :D

Yeah, right, this is the second post I've just read from people asking what was the point of posting.

If you find this stuff boring or not to your liking, why not hang elsewhere or just don't bother.

I'm up for renewal next month and hoping it goes as smoothly as it's certainly not a given even if all docs are in order. It could be that CM imm have improved the process for extendees. :D

as well as a new tin shed to hang out in....progress eh? :D

There are people who find the yearly visa renewal quite traumatic and I too have certainly had my share of traumas in the distant past. Thankfully, the last few years have seen a big improvement in the renewal process and my intention was not to brag, but merely to show that I personally found my latest renewal a piece of cake and if others have their documents in order they should too....so don't fret about it. :D

I like hearing about important stuff, like good burgers and fish and chips too. :D

Everyone can have the same experience as Uptheos, here's how:

Arrive early

Avoid Fridays

Make sure your paperwork and copies are in order and signed.

Dress respectfully.

No need for anxiety, it's a breeze.

I just wish they'd abolish the 90 day reporting which makes me feel like I'm perpetually on probation. I like being a 'person of interest' —but not like this.

Everyone can have the same experience as Uptheos, here's how:

Arrive early

Avoid Fridays

Make sure your paperwork and copies are in order and signed.

Dress respectfully.

No need for anxiety, it's a breeze.

I just wish they'd abolish the 90 day reporting which makes me feel like I'm perpetually on probation. I like being a 'person of interest' —but not like this.

Absolutely - well said!

And getting a 5 year visa after X consecutive yearly renewals would be nice too. :)

Absolutely - well said!

And getting a 5 year visa after X consecutive yearly renewals would be nice too. :)

A good posting in my books. Espescially since your last statement reminded me of a classic music clip I watched last night in the pub.

It goes like this..

'You've got to have a dream

If you don't have a dream

How you going to have a dream come true?'

All together now .... Happy, happy, happy, happy talk.... :D:D:D

PS (from South Pacific, not the Captain Sensible version).

reason for edit: missed out a 'happy'!!

Edited by KevinHunt

Absolutely - well said!

A good posting in my books. Espescially since your last statement reminded me of a classic music clip I watched last night in the pub.

It goes like this..

'You've got to have a dream

If you don't have a dream

How you going to have a dream come true?'

All together now .... Happy, happy, happy, happy talk.... :D:D:D

PS (from South Pacific, not the Captain Sensible version).

reason for edit: missed out a 'happy'!!

sorry dont know it.......and as i know our musical tastes differ, im happy i dont! :D

Hi...I am also going in for my yearly renewal in 5 days. Last year it was a breeze. Someone recently told me that immigration now requires proof of your residency. Is this true? If so, what will I need to bring. I rent on a month to month basis; hence no contract. Will a letter from my landlord be sufficient? U[theos, what was your experience?

I hope you weren't referring to my comment which was intended to parody jackr's "what was the point of posting" comment.

Hi...I am also going in for my yearly renewal in 5 days. Last year it was a breeze. Someone recently told me that immigration now requires proof of your residency. Is this true? If so, what will I need to bring. I rent on a month to month basis; hence no contract. Will a letter from my landlord be sufficient? U[theos, what was your experience?

Completed TM7

Bank Letter

Every page of my bank book and passport signed (I just give them every page and they can chuck out what they don't want).

1,900 baht

That's it :)

This is what I mean, a lot of people hear different things and get stressed - that's why I listed my experience. Maybe the proof of residency is for new applicants along with the medical thing?

Something useful that I'd like to see is.... what documents did you bring with you and how many copies of each? The documents are usually straightforward but I find that immigration keeps changing the number of copies required of each item.

Just one copy of each. :)

Proof of address is required.

In my case, My wife owns the house and has added my name to a yellow book (I forget the name of that document) and they accept this as proof of my address.

It is a Happy mans Post.A joyful man who want to share his day with us,deserve a positive response .If he dont get that,we who criticize should take a brake and do some "revaluating " inside of us.Point Made.

did mine tuesday, 2 hrs, which i thought was too slow, was number 8 in the book, when i signed in at 8;40, it was packed, in comparison to phuket , its slow.

still a miserable bunch though, with one thai lady who obviously has no need to use the michrophone, bawling out names as if she was the gestapo commandant, no offence to any 'jormans'

still another 11months 26 days to wait, starting to perspire already.

I personally know one guy that almost goes into panic mode for some reason, a week before he's due

I didn't realize we've met. :D

as it's certainly not a given even if all docs are in order.

I will be going for my 16th annual extension and WP renewal at the end of this month. Even though I know it is a certainty I still get anxious due to concerns over something have been forgotten or late from the uni. Last year, last day for my renewal and the university had not completed one critical form and I was definitely in a panic. Fortunately a lovely girl from the uni was there to assist another expat and was able to have alternative paperwork faxed over.

One other time, an assumption was made that I could reuse (copy of) my 3 year contract (not my assumption) but immigration said I need a new one every year even if it is the same one with a new date. Again, just squeaked through with a 10 day extension to get my paperwork in order and do it again. BTW, the person who had to prepare it was on vacation for a week. :)

It is a Happy mans Post.A joyful man who want to share his day with us,deserve a positive response .If he dont get that,we who criticize should take a brake and do some "revaluating " inside of us.Point Made.

I wish I understood this!

Proof of address is required.

In my case, My wife owns the house and has added my name to a yellow book (I forget the name of that document) and they accept this as proof of my address.

Well, all I can say is that on Wednesday 9th proof of address was not required - I have never been asked for proof of address and I never take any with me other than what I carry in my wallet.

However, I wouldn't tell anyone not to take it and I suggest if a person feels uncertain then take proof along - do what you feel comfortable with, just reduce the stress. :)

I'm going in about a week from now for my 4th.

Last 2 have been easy.

But as uptheos mentioned, good to have all your ducks in a row.

Meaning lots of duplicate copies (signed), and corroborating documents.

I will have a copy of my lease agreement, letter from the apt mgr, and a photocopy of her national ID card (all required per imm law), though uptheos was not asked for these documents.

Better safe than sorry.

Completed TM7

Bank Letter

Every page of my bank book and passport signed (I just give them every page and they can chuck out what they don't want).

1,900 baht

That's it :)

Don't forget 1 photo.

Completed TM7

Bank Letter

1,900 baht

That's it :D

Don't forget 1 photo.

The TM7 would not be 'completed' without it. :)

Don't forget 1 photo.

The TM7 would not be 'completed' without it. :)

True. I just didn't have the form in front of me. I am a beginner and going for my 2nd extension in 4 months.

It can't hurt to include all necessary pieces required, especially for newbies or memory challenged types like me. :D

This was just taken from the Thai Immigration website. I can't see anywhere that states you need to show proof of where you are living unless there is an updated ammendment somewhere.

List of documents for extension of stay in case of Retirement

1. Application Form ( TM 7) with one photograph (size 4x6 cm.)
  2. Passport and its photocopy with certified true copy by the alien
  3. Application fee: 1,900 Baht
  4. Documents required are as follows;
    • The account deposit with the bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht.
      The proof of such evidence is the updated bank passbook with the certified letter from the bank showing the money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited in the account for the previous 3 months. OR

• Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month.
      The proof of such evidence is a letter from the applicant's Embassy or Consulate in Thailand to certify that the applicant receives pension or other income of not less than 65,000 Baht per month. OR
    • A combination of the account deposite in the bank plus income (from pension or other source per yearX witha combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service#

This was taken from an amendment by Thai immigration and it does ask for where you are staying. Could it be that if you are saying you want an extension because you live live with a wife (excuse the pun) they would want to know where you live with her, but if you are here for retirement you could in fact be moving around quite a lot....couldn't you?

Oh, just cover all bases....and look honest like me :)

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1. Application form 2. Copy of applicant’s passport 3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency 4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration

did mine tuesday, 2 hrs, which i thought was too slow, was number 8 in the book, when i signed in at 8;40, it was packed, in comparison to phuket , its slow.

still a miserable bunch though, with one thai lady who obviously has no need to use the michrophone, bawling out names as if she was the gestapo commandant, no offence to any 'jormans'

still another 11months 26 days to wait, starting to perspire already.

Must have been the other immigration in Chiang Mai, we also did our visas on Tuesday. Relatively, quick and efficient for two visas and then multiple re entry. All staff involved pleasant

No problem, no proof of residence required, same as op said,copy everything from your passports and bank book.

BTW -