• West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I was making the point that there is an inconsistency in the positive comments on piggy's on this threrad and the actual voting for charlie. Other voters have spotted the correlation of newbie recruits and the change in the voting pattern. I have no problem with newbies. But recruiting people to damage a new business is off limits. If Charlie is aware of this he should play the gentleman and start playing fair. As I have said I like both establishments but I will not patronise an old business trying to knock a new business with unfair tactics.

Where exactly is that correlation, caf?

Read the 8 pages of threads and do the analysis, then look at the poll results, particularly noting the way the voting swung to charlies while the posts did not.

( there are also other posters who have made similar observations)

Why would recruiting people to vote for your shop in this poll be off limits? There's absolutely nothing scientific about this poll to begin with.

But nmore to the point, we now have 180 posts about fish and chips. you'd think there was something special about it. I mean it's not like making the perfect burger.

You have highlighted my point about damaging businesses. So you must understand the point I and others are making. Voting for your shop is not the same as going all out to damage a rival's business. That's the point.

And I was making the point that there is an inconsistency in the positive comments on piggy's on this threrad and the actual voting for charlie. Other voters have spotted the correlation of newbie recruits and the change in the voting pattern. I have no problem with newbies. But recruiting people to damage a new business is off limits. If Charlie is aware of this he should play the gentleman and start playing fair. As I have said I like both establishments but I will not patronise an old business trying to knock a new business with unfair tactics.

Read the 8 pages of threads and do the analysis, then look at the poll results, particularly noting the way the voting swung to charlies while the posts did not.

Why would recruiting people to vote for your shop in this poll be off limits? There's absolutely nothing scientific about this poll to begin with.

But nmore to the point, we now have 180 posts about fish and chips. you'd think there was something special about it. I mean it's not like making the perfect burger.

"Why would recruiting people to vote for your shop in this poll be off limits?"

Because it creates inaccuracy thereby defeating the purpose of the thread which is to provide accurate information regarding the best place for fish and chips in Chiang Mai.

"There's absolutely nothing scientific about this poll to begin with."

Absolutely when people recruit posters solely for the purpose of skewing the numbers to create an inaccurate result. However, absent the manipulation, it would provide desired information to the readers.

"you'd think there was something special about it. I mean it's not like making the perfect burger."

Special? Not really, but for some of us who appreciate fish and chips, it's useful information. I'd like to hear about places that have "the perfect burger" too. Why don't you start a thread about it instead of denigrating this one?

[

"you'd think there was something special about it. I mean it's not like making the perfect burger."

Special? Not really, but for some of us who appreciate fish and chips, it's useful information. I'd like to hear about places that have "the perfect burger" too. Why don't you start a thread about it instead of denigrating this one?

Yes some useful information over 8 pages, but nonsense and bullshit are probably thicker on the ground.

As a 2/3 times a year visitor to CM I have tried Charlies, but will have to wait until Xmas before sampling Piggies.

No doubt this thread will still be on the first page the so I should have no trouble in casting my vote then. :)

Fair points by Ulysses and venturalaw.

I do sympathise with the mods trying to control threads where there is business bashing as opposed to posting informational items that can benefit everyone. Maybe its time to close it.

On this thread and several others, a bunch of people who have never posted before, suddenly start ripping apart a particular business while praising a competitor and then they vanish into thin air.

There is no call for these tactics! :)

You should take alook at dons food in Chiang Rai and see how unfair his posts are and how he promotes his business, hes encouraged by Thai visa to do so because they let him.

On this thread and several others, a bunch of people who have never posted before, suddenly start ripping apart a particular business while praising a competitor and then they vanish into thin air.

You should take alook at dons food in Chiang Rai and see how unfair his posts are and how he promotes his business, hes encouraged by Thai visa to do so because they let him.

Yes that is probably true..... but the difference is that he is a paid advertiser..... correct me if I am wrong...

gonzo

ps ... Does he do fish and chips..... then rate him.....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I will go back to the post I made near the start of this thread where I said I hoped things remain light-hearted as the poll was less than useful.

I have not yet eaten at Piggys or Charlies, but plan to do so next time I am passing. I will then decide for myself which is best.

I learnt some time ago to take what is said on food threads with a very large pinch of salt (and not on my pizza please :) ).

Perhaps a mod should close this soon......

Regards

Edited by piercefilmlid

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

Ah, but no tartare sauce!! It's a must have, and it must be tangy. Which of the places in this poll has it?

Charlies has tartar sauce (bottled) but you have to ask for it. And then Charlie takes it back from you very quickly! Piggy's makes their own tartar sauce. The Dukes has it and serves it with the meal. Looking forward to trying some of the other places soon; Pun Pun, Rose, etc. :)

Rose Guest House has REAL Malt Vinegar, REAL COD TWO PIECES, and GOOD TARTAR SAUCE, but no HOT CHICKS LIKE PIGGY"S DOES.

Ventura Law, the other day, UN Irish Pub had red wine vinegar on every table, but could not see any malt vinegar. Maybe you have to ask for it?

I've done that and it proves nothing. Unless you actually know which members voted and how they voted, there is no obvious correlation.

If you can show me a post where Don has been "unfair", cheesey- we will be happy to take a look at it. Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "unfair".

Sponsors who advertise with Thai Visa are given a bit of leeway to occasionally mention special events, etc. Like a Mexican burrito special, or a dog grooming fair, or a 10% this weekend only discount on a mattress.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Hope this clarifies things.

"Why would recruiting people to vote for your shop in this poll be off limits?"

Because it creates inaccuracy thereby defeating the purpose of the thread which is to provide accurate information regarding the best place for fish and chips in Chiang Mai.

"There's absolutely nothing scientific about this poll to begin with."

Absolutely when people recruit posters solely for the purpose of skewing the numbers to create an inaccurate result. However, absent the manipulation, it would provide desired information to the readers.

Piggie's didn't recruit anyone to vote? How do you know that?

This is an informal poll and the results prove nothing. It's just a way for Piggies and Charlies to get some free advertising. It's hard to believe people are getting bent out of shape over this. btw, I've only tried one of the places listed and didn't like it, so I voted for a place I'd never been to. I wanted to see the results without losing the opportunity to vote.

It would be impossible to denigrate this thread any further than has already been done. If you use the search function you can find the equally long burger thread with an equally useful poll.

Sorry you missed the sarcasm amongst all the anger on this thread.

My advice is, that the high season is now coming in at Chiang Mai and to concentrate on hopefully the abundant visiting tourist customers and let this thread become dead and buried.

id like an abundant tourist high season as well but i doubt that it will kill this thread