• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Six Year Driving Licence

Maejo Man

I had to renew my 5 year licence the other day on my birthday, but did not read the fine print about applying before the due date. So this morning it was a race down to immigration to get a confirmation of residence. I arrived at 08.30 to find the place bursting at the seams. Not to be deterred I filled in the form and handed it to the man behind the window. "Come back in one hour" he said "if I finish it sooner I will call your name" Well he called my name after 30 mins, so I was well pleased.

Off hotfoot to the Dept. of Lands and Transport, and up to the second floor. Went to the first desk, and explained that I was sick and couldn't come the other day. She gave me a smile, and said go to counter 28 and then onto room 3. Counter 28 scribbled something on my form, and said step this way. I was given the perfunctory colour eye test, then a reaction test on braking, with mock traffic lights. Then it was off to the mysterious "room 3" which was a dismal hour looking at a computer monitor informing me of all the things that Thais should do on the road :)

Back to counter 28 and told to go to pay at the first counter. There was a new person on there and he was a little slow, but had it done inside 10 mins. Then back inside to take another number for the photography booth. She said smile, and a few minutes later handed me my new smart licence.

I was on my way home at 11.00, and considering an hour out watching a boring video, I considered it two and a half hours well spent including immigration.

The upshot was that my licence now is valid for six years, less two days, and was told not to do it again next time!! I also forgot to get a medical in my haste, but wasn't asked for one. :D

Deja Vu. Nearly the exact same experience as mine. Birthday on Sunday, came in on Friday afternoon too late to start. Asked if there will be a problem being one day late and was told no problem. Monday, packed to the rim, but walked out with 5 years and 364 day license. Ain't it great how sometimes things just work out for the positive. :)

Congrats on the new license.

4 years ago I had to go for a motor bike driving test. I too was placed in front of a computer having to view the video that was in English.

I had never seen anything so funny in all my life, especially the part where the car driver is beating up a motorcyclist and the narrator says, do not do this, this is not polite. Tears of laughter were rolling down my face then suddenly I looked round and noticed that all eyes were on me because I was laughing so much. But somehow I still passed and wish I could obtain a copy of that video from somewhere.

Edited by sassienie

That is easily a record. Nice work!

While we're sharing stories, when I took my first written test a few years ago, all my answers were circled. That was nice. My friend with me did not have the circled answers book, but the tester erased his wrong answers and put the correct ones in for him. This was in CM.

Edited by mnbcm

I had a 1 year license. Went in a couple of weeks before it was due to expire. They told me to come back after it expired or on the day it expired. Went in on the day and spent about 1/2 an hour. No vision test, no movie, just the medical exam.

Did they give you the perception eye test when u renewed your 5 year?

Only the "sudo Ishihara" chart they have there with the red green and yellow circles. Not even a real test as below

When I did the test nobody could make out any numbers/letters on the chart. Appears to have been a null chart and she just pointed at different circles and asked what color it was. :)

I applied for my 1st 5 year on Jan 3, 2008.

Got a license which expires on my b-day Oct 2013; 5 years and nearly 11 months.

I have a feeling that as they transition over the old licenses, it will end up every one will just get a 5 year extension on the expiry date.

But Maejo, good on ya!

Always nice to see something happy and positive on the forum....:)

oops should i have one?

spank.gif

Time to upgrade Photobucket DB :)

FYI. If renewing a 5 year licence they now allow you renew up to 90 days before current one expires..save that mad dash up the stairs!

And up to one year after it expires a very nice young lady informed me. Subsequently I went back 2 days after expiry and also got six years + 4 extra months as they made a mistake with my birthday. TIT :D

I have a related question which I will tack onto this thread. I have a Thai drivers license and a motorbike license. The car drivers license has been lost (it was handed over at a bank to be photocopied but not given back to me ... I didn't notice at the time - now have no idea which bank it was). You'd think the bank staff would drop it in the post to me, but too hard it seems.

Anyway I have since been told that you can't just pop in and get a replacement license - or even wait until the old one expires and then get a replacement (as apparently you need to hand over the old license to get the new one). I am told (please confirm anyone) that the correct procedure is for me to now:

* report the license as lost/stolen

* get a residency certificate (500 bt)

* got to transport dept and apply for a license as per getting a new one (even though I still have the m/bike license I could show them)

surely they could just look up in their computer to confirm I had a valid car drivers license and print out a new one???

.................................surely they could just look up in their computer to confirm I had a valid car drivers license and print out a new one???

Go to your local police station, and get a lost/stolen report filled out, then go to the Lands & Transport office and try the sympathy approach. You don't actually have to cry, but it might help.

I had my wallet nicked a fair while ago, and that's what I did. Came out with the sob story of having all my credit cards in the same wallet (true) and they took pity on me.

Worth a try, and if that fails....well....you go through the motions again :)

Edited by Maejo Man

.................................surely they could just look up in their computer to confirm I had a valid car drivers license and print out a new one???

Go to your local police station, and get a lost/stolen report filled out, then go to the Lands & Transport office and try the sympathy approach. You don't actually have to cry, but it might help.

I had my wallet nicked a fair while ago, and that's what I did. Came out with the sob story of having all my credit cards in the same wallet (true) and they took pity on me.

Worth a try, and if that fails....well....you go through the motions again :)

Just got to thinking. Six years will be just about enough to see you out won't it :D

The 5yr licenses are always valid until your birthday in 5yrs time so if you apply 1 day after your 34th birthday then your license will be valid until your 40th birthday (almost 6yrs) but if you apply 1 day before your 34th birthday then it will only be valid until your 39th birthday (only 5yrs 1 day) so it all depends on when you apply.

Only the "sudo Ishihara" chart they have there with the red green and yellow circles. Not even a real test as below

240px-Ishihara_9.png

I see. What about the test where you have to line up the 2 white sticks?

240px-Ishihara_9.png

Whats with the Pizza photo?