More Security On Roads Leading To Summit Venue

webfact

ASEAN SUMMIT

More security on roads leading to summit venue

By Nation on Sunday

Published on October 25, 2009

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan has ordered an additional 200 security officials to be deployed at all Uturns on roads in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin District after a metalscrap tricycle ran into the Chinese Embassy car, injuring the tricycle rider, Defence Ministry spokesman Col Thanat Sawangsaeng said yesterday.

The accident took place on an Asean lane, specially provided for officials joining the Asean Summit, near Klai Kangwon intersection. The tricycle rider was badly hurt and was admitted to Hua Hin Hospital after the crash. No one in the embassy car was injured.

Thanat called on motorists not to use Asean lanes as they are reserved for local and foreign delegations joining the summit.

He said officials would strictly enforce the use of Asean lanes especially at all Uturns.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/25

Has it really caused anyone any inconvenience? Its only for a few days and was advertised well in advance. Its school holidays at the moment, so unless you need to get to work if you did a bit of forward planning with shopping etc there is no need to touch the Petchkasem Road and compared to the massive amount of revenue it has brought to the local business in Cha am I think it is a small inconvenience if any. The military and security have done a great job. Stickers for cars/motorbikes was well administrated and road blocks are only stopping veichles without these. Lets have it here again, the extra money is always welcome. :)

I wasn't complaining at all if you were referring to my post. It hasn't really caused much inconvenience, but the part about local businesses getting boosted by the summit, that must be restaurants etc. Not our shop that's for sure :D No one seemed to want to go outside at all Thursday & Saturday because of the Petchkasem traffic warnings. And all those soldiers and security people aren't exactly our target group :)

windscreen car stickers are available to get you through the road side army checks at local police stations, I believe.

We have office towards Petchkasem Road, and the ASEAN lane seems to be more for tuk tuks and motorbikes than for the big flashy cars. And every time some "important" cars come by, they close all lanes anyway :)

Has it really caused anyone any inconvenience? Its only for a few days and was advertised well in advance. Its school holidays at the moment, so unless you need to get to work if you did a bit of forward planning with shopping etc there is no need to touch the Petchkasem Road and compared to the massive amount of revenue it has brought to the local business in Cha am I think it is a small inconvenience if any. The military and security have done a great job. Stickers for cars/motorbikes was well administrated and road blocks are only stopping veichles without these. Lets have it here again, the extra money is always welcome. :)

I think it may have cost the local Hua Hin economy quite a lot. Thai friend in BKK had planned and visit, then called to tell me they had changed their mind. Apparently the media in BKK was warning people off coming here.

FYI, school holidays are a prime time for Thais to travel.

Some extra money may have come from the police and military "protecting" Hua Hin, but I seriously doubt if Hua Hin merchants, hotels, etc prospered over the weekend.

BTW, the military show, helicopters, extra patrol boats and rubber assault boats started last week. I can see at least 12 large vessels from my balcony, where 6 is about normal. I thought I was back in 'Nam last week, when 4 Hueys started patrolling.

I actually wonder if this will cost Thailand some 'face' with the international community. 20,000 strong security force .. really!

Edited by klikster

Cha am was as busy as ever at the weekend if not busier than usual, obviously people didnt take any notice of the media not to visit.....Hotels such as the Grand pacific were full to the brim with Asean Leaders...all the local businesses we know of are very happy with the past week or so with the extra revenue, some saying they have earned more in a few weeks than they normally get in 3 months...And lets not forget, it was the Cha am Asean Summit...not Hua Hin Asean Summit.....Dusit is actually quite a way befor Hua Hin.... :)