Going to immigration next week

American

I will be stopping by the Immigration Department to renew my Student Visa next week. Because of the recent APEC meetings I was told that it is now mandatory for all students to show up at immigration in-person.

Can anyone tell me what to expect and why they want me to go? Normally my University would take care of my Visa Extension.

Thanks (new to the forum)

It was fairly a pain getting a student visa here in Thailand. I'm sure other visas are by-far more complicated though.

I did things the "longer" way than usual. First I applied for the school via the internet and unfortunately did not receive a response for at-least two months. I sent multiple applications before I was responded to AFTER I arrived in Bangkok. Along with my application to the school I included why I wanted to enter, a .jpg copy of my passport, high school transcript, and diploma. I knew that the semester started in August, so I flew out here a little over a month before I was to start school. I entered the country with a tourist visa.

When I visitted the school they told me that the computer-copies of my passport/transcript/diploma were not sufficient enough and they needed the original copies. (of course I was told this AFTER I left America!) So, I went through a grueling process of contacting my High School which was closed for the summer, as well as contacting my mother who had access to my original diploma which was a six-hour drive from her house. Eventually I got the transcript/diploma via Fed-Ex and submitted it to my school.

Because I entered with the tourist visa they were unable to give me a student visa unless I was to leave the country and enter again, so I ended up travelling to the Phillipines' Manila Thai Embassy in-order to process my 90-day student visa. It is a shame money was wasted flying out of the country only to re-enter a day later. We considered myself travelling to a country bordering Thailand but were unfamiliar with the territory.

So.. after the school saw my stamped Student Visa they charged me the entrance-fee of the University, I took entrance exams, and the standard urine-screening test.

Hope that information answers your question, Rambutan!

3 months later I am still a happy student at the University and am already days away from renewing my student visa again. It's amazing how quickly time passes.. has it already been 3 months?

Anyway, normally I could just apply through my school but now they want me to apply in-person. I guess I'll do anything to stay in the wonderful country of Thailand :o

well im on a student visa too, im kinda in the same boat, i just came back from penang and got a 3 month non  imm e.d visa, after you get this visa you goto the immigration department in bangkok and they stamp you with a 6 month student visa, which can be renewed each time, with the correct paperwork from your university. so you dont have to keep leaving evry 3 months which is a god send, as far as i can see.. good luck

I forgot to say I'm studying Food Biotechnology :o

I was hoping someone could tell me if there was something I needed to bring to Immigration. That was my reason for creating this topic. Like, I know I need to bring my passport, 1900 baht, and 2 2" photographs.. just hoping someone could tell me if I needed anything else because last time I dealt with Visa stuff I went to the U.S. Embassy at least 4 times before I finally understood/completed the whole thing.

Thanks for the info I-S. Actually I am more like limonade, not lemon :D minnow key-oww?

I wrote lemonade - I meant lemon tea (in a hurry).

I have no experience with extensions of entry permit for students - so I can't help.  But the immigration offices are closed 17-23 October.

I have to asume that you need something to show that you are enrolled as a student - stiudent ID card, or letter from educational institution.  Always come with copies of all personal documents - and you should have signed each page in ink - and also bring originals.  They always want to see originals (which they return to you) - they keep the copies.

Good luck!

Indo-Siam

Hey cha minnow, hi guys!

Hey i'm planning to move to thailand too ! I've got my gf there and we want to be together. I would like to study in Chiang Mai and i've seen an interesting lesson program, English Communication. The problem is that i don't know where to start with all this  ??? . It's at the Payap University, so i wrote them an email with the question what i should do and how much i have to pay for the study.

Secondly i need this student visa you guys are talking about. Can i just apply for it at my embassy in thailand? Should i write them an email and what about the cost to study in thailand? Do you need a bank account or anything special to get this visa?

The other thing that keeps me awake is that i got my diploma from when i finished school at the age of 18. In europe we call it A2 diploma. But you guys talk about highschool diploma, but i think this is the same, right? I'm 22 now so i finished at 18, what about you Cha Minnow?

OMG, so many things you need to know and so many problems. ppffff can someone help me out here?

Oh yeah, one last question. What if the lesson program for your study is 3 years before you get that bachelors degree?

I was told that we can only renewal the visa 6 time  ???  :o Which would mean i could only stay for 18 months in thailand? ???

Oh djeez, somebody clear this out